Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT.... Franklins

Comments

• JOJayhawk
    JOJayhawk Posts: 27
    Serving BBQ on paper is sort of Texas tradition. The food there is incredible, especially the brisket. We waited close to 4 hrs and met a lot of new friends. The line isn't something you would want to do every week but well worth it if in Austin. La Barbeque is also great. 
    Overland Park, Kansas
    XL
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    He needs more white bread. =) That looks awesome for sure.
    I've got a buddy that would eat two loaves of bread with a plate like that.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    I will cook my own brisket, drink beer and sit and our lay in my hammock, stand in line , not going to do it !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited March 2017
    Stand in line for four hours and they give you a piece of paper to eat off of? First class right there.

Will never happen anyway. No food is worth that wait. Auguste Escoffier could come back and I wouldn't stand in line that long. Even if they served it on fine china!
    But, you'll miss the BBQ bucket list experience.......and that is what Franklin's has become.

He serves great food every day and he and his staff work their asses off making it. He has the market cachet, and he is making money hand over fist with a great product.........more power to Aaron Franklin.  =)

Why do we not, as BBQ enthusiasts, applaud his success? 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    JOJayhawk said:
    Serving BBQ on paper is sort of Texas tradition. The food there is incredible, especially the brisket. We waited close to 4 hrs and met a lot of new friends. The line isn't something you would want to do every week but well worth it if in Austin. La Barbeque is also great. 
    I'd wait all day for that plate.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Who's up for a road trip?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Me, me! 

Supply me with your CC info and I'll meet you down there!

I'll pay you back next year when taxes come back. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Me, me! 

I am in. I will drive the first shift.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    YukonRon said:
    Me, me! 

I am in. I will drive the first shift.
    I am strictly a cash guy...@tarheelmatt. Wouldn't extend credit to a heel anyhow.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    Thanks for the gorgeous picture, which is now my new desktop background!
    Mamaroneck
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Thanks for the gorgeous picture, which is now my new desktop background!
    It is a worthy picture of goodness!! LOL
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    lousubcap said:
    If you are into brisket then at some point you should make the road-trip to Austin-not just for Franklin but the other top quality places as well. After the brisket over-load you will know the target for great results.  It may remain elusive but at least you are aware.
    This.  

The meal was great.

Hanging out with other BBQ geeks in line was fun and worth doing by itself.

But most importantly, I got to spend some time with Benji, the general manager and tour the pits and pick his brain about how they cook their briskets and other items.  And after eating the brisket I learned what I was shooting for.  My brisket cooking improved significantly as the result of that day such that the day has paid large dividends.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    Stand in line for four hours and they give you a piece of paper to eat off of? First class right there.

Will never happen anyway. No food is worth that wait. Auguste Escoffier could come back and I wouldn't stand in line that long. Even if they served it on fine china!
    But, you'll miss the BBQ bucket list experience.......and that is what Franklin's has become.

He serves great food every day and he and his staff work their asses off making it. He has the market cachet, and he is making money hand over fist with a great product.........more power to Aaron Franklin.  =)

It is one thing to applaud success, completely another to applaud stupidity.

I would not stand in line for hours, on a butcher paper and cheap white bread sided meal, cooked over fire by Mallmann, APL, or Bayless.  

Bucket list? 
    For brisket???
    Come on.  Lmao
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    The brisket and sausage always look incredible....
  • Focker said:

I would not stand in line for hours, on a butcher paper and cheap white bread sided meal, cooked over fire by Mallmann, APL, or Bayless.  

Bucket list? 
    For brisket???
    Come on.  Lmao
    Who got your rub all clumped up?
    I am not one for standing in lines- but that line looks like a good time, beginning and end.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2017
    Focker said:

Bucket list? 
    For brisket???
    Come on.  Lmao
    @Focker, Brandon... maybe Mallmann. On his island. =)

You ever see the Mind of a Chef show on the island on some huge lake in the Andes? Awesome!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    lousubcap said:
    Here's a link to the current menu price-list:
    https://franklinbarbecue.com/menu  I was in Austin in early Dec pounding brisket and found that the prices across the Q places were the same.  
    He said on this plate was 2 lbs each of brisket and ribs, 1 lbs of sausage and the two sides. 
    Maybe a dumb question, but do they have plates (paper maybe) where you can split?  I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm not taking a bite of beans after someone.  
    You would eat off the same fork I used and you would LOVE it.

NO FORKS! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    @JohnnyTarheel I look at that pic and I began salivating. 

Me, all I got is Titos and a Dizzy Mole Spatch about to hit my Egg. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    I have heard that cocktails are not only allowed, but are encouraged, in the line. I'd wait for hours.  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    ibanda said:
    blasting said:

It does look great.  Can someone please explain the tradition of serving crappy wonderbread with world class BBQ?

The story as told in January at Camp Brisket by Bryan Bracewell of Southside Market in Elgin, Texas: The central Texas barbecue tradition starts in the central Texas German and Czech Meat Markets. They butchered meat and sold it. This was before refrigeration, so they had to sell it pretty quick! What they didn't sell they smoked and turned into barbecue to give it a longer shelf life. The barbecue that didn't sell, got chopped up, stuffed into sausage and smoked again!

All of this was originally being sold in the Meat Markets as a to go item. They weren't thinking about serving onsite as a restaurant. As started to happen though people were hungry and wanted to eat it right there, so they went back inside the market and grabbed a few things off the shelf to go with the barbecue. What they found was a sack of white bread, a jar of pickles, onions and maybe some cheese. As it was not a restaurant they did not have plates, they ate it all on the butcher paper. And that's how the Texas barbecue tradition started.

So now you know the rest of the story.....

@ibanda

Great explanation - thank you.

Phoenix 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    @JohnnyTarheel I look at that pic and I began salivating. 

Me, all I got is Titos and a Dizzy Mole Spatch about to hit my Egg. 
    That's still a winner!! Enjoy
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    edited March 2017
    Foghorn said:
    lousubcap said:
    If you are into brisket then at some point you should make the road-trip to Austin-not just for Franklin but the other top quality places as well. After the brisket over-load you will know the target for great results.  It may remain elusive but at least you are aware.
    This.  

The meal was great.

Hanging out with other BBQ geeks in line was fun and worth doing by itself.

But most importantly, I got to spend some time with Benji, the general manager and tour the pits and pick his brain about how they cook their briskets and other items.  And after eating the brisket I learned what I was shooting for.  My brisket cooking improved significantly as the result of that day such that the day has paid large dividends.
    @Foghorn perhaps you mentioned this in another thread, but what were those tips you got from Benji??  
    I'm still wondering how Franklin will say to not cook a brisket past 190 at Brisket Camp, but in his book say to take it to 203...  is that just carry over you think? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    blasting said:

It does look great.  Can someone please explain the tradition of serving crappy wonderbread with world class BBQ?

If you are serving BBQ on anything but white bread/cheap rolls, you're doing it wrong. The bread is nothing more than a vehicle for the meat from plate to mouth with absorbing properties for juices/sauce. Anything more is a distraction.

In most cases, the bread is to take home to feed to ducks at the lake.
    Isn't that what fingers are for? Bread seems to be taking up valuable real estate both on the plate and in my belly that could be filled with beef and other proteins. I never eat it.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @HofstraJet -  I'm with you and no food/stomach distractions with brisket.  Just enjoy the finished product, especially in the Austin area.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Happy Independence Day, Texas!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95