Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT.... Franklins

My son is at Frankllins as I post this. He said it is just awesome!!

Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    My son is at Frankllins as I post this.
    I could go for a plate or four of that about now. Looks great.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Great score-and that is a high $$ pile of groceries.  He should head out to Valentina's and hit up La Barbeque while in Austin.  La Barbeque is only a couple of miles from Franklin's with Valentina's is a bit more of a hike.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    lousubcap said:
    Great score-and that is a high $$ pile of groceries.  He should head out to Valentina's and hit up La Barbeque while in Austin.  La Barbeque is only a couple of miles from Franklin's with Valentina's is a bit more of a hike.  
    Thanks I will let him know.  He is there till Sat. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    He needs more white bread. =) That looks awesome for sure.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    What a plate!  Lucky dog. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap said:
    Just curious, how much would that plate cost?

Little Rock, AR

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    That's looks good.  I guess I need to find a reason to get down to Austin sometime and try it.  Have to remember to bring a chair and some bourbon. though for the wait. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    edited March 2017
    lousubcap said:
    Just curious, how much would that plate cost?
    My son said four of them shared the meal you see  The plate and 4 sodas was $112.  
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    If only I had Ron's money...... 

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    Here's a link to the current menu price-list:
    https://franklinbarbecue.com/menu  I was in Austin in early Dec pounding brisket and found that the prices across the Q places were the same.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    paging @The Cen-Tex Smoker regarding other Q places to hit in the Austin area.  
  • JohnnyTarheel
    lousubcap said:
    https://franklinbarbecue.com/menu  I was in Austin in early Dec pounding brisket and found that the prices across the Q places were the same.  
    He said on this plate was 2 lbs each of brisket and ribs, 1 lbs of sausage and the two sides. 
  • tarheelmatt
    edited March 2017
    lousubcap said:
    He said on this plate was 2 lbs each of brisket and ribs, 1 lbs of sausage and the two sides. 
    Maybe a dumb question, but do they have plates (paper maybe) where you can split?  I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm not taking a bite of beans after someone.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    lousubcap said:
    Maybe a dumb question, but do they have plates (paper maybe) where you can split?  I mean, I'm sorry, but I'm not taking a bite of beans after someone.  
    He said everyone got a piece of butcher paper to eat off of....
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    JohnnyTarheel said: hi
    lousubcap said:
    No a bad deal us the sodas were $20 each...lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap said:
    You would eat off the same fork I used and you would LOVE it. 

Little Rock, AR

• lousubcap
    @Ladeback69 -  I arrived in Austin just past noon on Tuesday in early Dec.  The plan was to hit Valentina's on Tues and do the line scene and Franklin's on Weds.  Finished up just before 1 PM at Valentina's (brisket) and figured "what the heck?" and headed for Franklin's.  Got in the line around 1:30 PM-was eating Franklin brisket (complete brisket meat coma ensued) around 2:30 PM.  Of course I was back on Weds AM.  You never know how it will work out.  
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    $112 for whats in the pic and 4 soda's...lol....
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

He probably qualifies for one of these then.

Been there. Stood the line.  Worth it.

Spring "125th In Line At 8:15 AM" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    yljkt said:
    I dunno, seems pretty reasonable for 5 pounds of quality meat cooked by a Beard winning chef and his staff, plus 2 pints of sides and 4 drinks.

A lunch that large and that good, I wouldn't blink at $28/person.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnnyTarheel
    Acn said:
    yljkt said:
    I dunno, seems pretty reasonable for 5 pounds of quality meat cooked by a Beard winning chef and his staff, plus 2 pints of sides and 4 drinks.

A lunch that large and that good, I wouldn't blink at $28/person.
    I agree with you brother. He said they had some left over to take with them. He said it's a lot more food than it looks. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

It does look great.  Can someone please explain the tradition of serving crappy wonderbread with world class BBQ?

Phoenix 
  • tarheelmatt
    blasting said:

It does look great.  Can someone please explain the tradition of serving crappy wonderbread with world class BBQ?

I've wondered the same. The platter needs hush puppies! 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    blasting said:

Cause bread don't pay $20 a pound 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Stand in line for four hours and they give you a piece of paper to eat off of? First class right there.

Will never happen anyway. No food is worth that wait. Auguste Escoffier could come back and I wouldn't stand in line that long. Even if they served it on fine china!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Stand in line for four hours and they give you a piece of paper to eat off of? First class right there.

Will never happen anyway. No food is worth that wait. Auguste Escoffier could come back and I wouldn't stand in line that long. Even if they served it on fine china!
    He only waited in line 40 mins today for lunch...
  • tarheelmatt

I think if anyone is interested in culinary arts would be interested in going to Franklins.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q

He only waited in line 40 mins today for lunch...
    Shortest wait I've heard of for Franklin's. That, I would consider. Not much longer though.

tarheelmatt said:
    I think if anyone is interested in culinary arts would be interested in going to Franklins.  
    Culinary arts? It's just brisket. I'd love to try Franklin's Q... if I could walk in, eat and leave. I won't wait 4 hrs for anyone. No food is that good.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824

You're not much for tailgating, are you?
    NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    buzd504 said:

You're not much for tailgating, are you?
    LOL. Beats me. Never tried it. If it means waiting 4 hrs for food, then no.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut