Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide st. Louis style rib cook

Options
mlamb01
mlamb01 Posts: 210
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
Just got it started this morning, about 34 hours left to go!  I'll pull them out of the bath on Friday after work, then finish them off Saturday night on the egg.  First attempt, hope this goes well.

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    you plan on just a quick sear on the egg? or low with some smoke for a bit? I did a roast last wknd and was amazed at how much smoke flavour it picked up just rolling it around on the egg for 15min trying to sear it. I don't know if that had to do with the sous vide first or not. Interested to see how this plays out.
  • mlamb01
    Options
    About 9 hours left.  I can just barely smell them cooking, and it's great!.  No perceptible amount of water loss during the first 24 hours of cooking.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    got my eyes on this!
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Funny you mention how you can smell it. I had a bunch of garlic in with my roast that I did sous vide. When I opened the lid I got a real strong blast of it. I though the bag must have leaked, but nope some how gasses still get through foodsaver bags, even thought they don't inflate first or seem to lose the vacuum
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What temp are you cooking at?
    I've settled in at 148ºF for about 18 hours, longer and the ribs seem to lose their chew, IMO. When pulled from the bath after 18 hours or so, I chill in ice water and into the fridge. You can cook that day or leave a day or two. Using the egg at 300ºF indirect with some smoke, the cold ribs go on for about 30 minutes to get a smoke ring and then 30 minutes mopped with a thin sauce. Only way we do ribs now.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • mlamb01
    Options
    Cooking at 145 for 36 hours, then finishing on the egg like you described @Skiddymarker.  First time doing ribs in the sous vide, and first time doing the st. Louis cut.  Previously just did baby backs on the egg.  Hopefully I will like these, I can take or leave ribs.  My wife is a big ribs fan though.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    following this one too . . I did long SV then BGE pork shoulder last week, doing a long SV then BGE chuck roast (roast beef) this weekend . . . so very curious how you like the ribs!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,363
    Options
    Can you please take a pic from the top, so that we can see you set up a little better?  Did you cut out the top and put some plastic wrap over it as well?  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mlamb01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Stage 2...  Getting ready to sleep in the fridge tonight.

Sorry did not get a pic of the cooking setup, but here is what I did.

1) 4.75 gallon polycarbonate food storage box.
    2) Put cling wrap on one end.
    3) Cut small slit in cling wrap for mounting bracket to go thru.
    4) Put bracket in, then cut slit in center of the bracket for ANOVA to slide thru.
    5) Cover the other half of the box, overlap in the middle.
    6) Lay a dish towel over the plastic wrap, kinda rap it around the sides of the ANOVA.

Doing it this way I did not have to add any water at all during the 36 hour cook.  I don't think I lost 1/4" of water during the cook, if that.

And yes I am using the Anova to circulate the water and cool the ribs faster.  If you set the temp all the way down to 32 degrees, the heater will not come on, but the pump does run.

• thetrim
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
    Why do you put all that ice in there? If you just took the vacuum packs out of the water bath and into the fridge, why wouldn't that be ok?
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mlamb01
    Options
    I'm afraid the ribs are going to have to wait till tomorrow night.  Wife thinks we need to go to NJ today...

@thetrim - why use a hammer if you have a sledgehammer laying around?  Really though, I was afraid of putting a couple of pounds of meat @145 directly into the fridge, and the effect it might have on other food in the fridge.  I'm new to the whole sous vide thing, but my research tells me it's best to cool your food as quickly as possible if you are not eating it immediately.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Thanks for the info.
    Why do you put all that ice in there? If you just took the vacuum packs out of the water bath and into the fridge, why wouldn't that be ok?
    In the fridge, the 145º ribs will take a few hours to get down to 38º (or fridge temp). The ice bath takes the food temp down faster, thru the dangerous 40º-140º bacteria grows temp range. I find the ice in a sink will chill the ribs in 15 minutes or so.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    The anticipation is KILLING ME! (I am living vicariously through this post as I am laid up sick as a dog)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• thetrim
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Thanks for the info.
    In the fridge, the 145º ribs will take a few hours to get down to 38º (or fridge temp). The ice bath takes the food temp down faster, thru the dangerous 40º-140º bacteria grows temp range. I find the ice in a sink will chill the ribs in 15 minutes or so.  
    Thanks for the info.  I've seen that on a couple SV threads and just wondered "why?" 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    What temp are you cooking at?
    I've settled in at 148ºF for about 18 hours, longer and the ribs seem to lose their chew, IMO. When pulled from the bath after 18 hours or so, I chill in ice water and into the fridge. You can cook that day or leave a day or two. Using the egg at 300ºF indirect with some smoke, the cold ribs go on for about 30 minutes to get a smoke ring and then 30 minutes mopped with a thin sauce. Only way we do ribs now.
    Almost exactly what I do too!  The ribs come out great, every time.  I'll never go back.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mlamb01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Darn...  

It goes all the way across the bottom and up the other side several inches.  I noticed it because I saw some smoke seeping out of it while the egg was warming up.  Debating if I should use it to finish off the ribs or not...
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    Darn...  

It goes all the way across the bottom and up the other side several inches.  I noticed it because I saw some smoke seeping out of it while the egg was warming up.  Debating if I should use it to finish off the ribs or not...
    use it! The harm is already done! In fact keep using it until your replacement base comes.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Ron is a hundred percent correctomundo on this one.
  • mlamb01
    Options
  • mlamb01
    Options

Just before the saucing...
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Cool for sure, but I think I'll stick to the simple 6 hours smoke and be done with it in the same day.  All good either way.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Would you do this again? Fun to try new things for sure!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • mlamb01
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Oh yeah.  It's alot less involved.  Only takes about an hour on the egg to finish them at the end.  The ribs were fall apart tender and not dry at all.  My wifed love them.

Personally though, I was not a big fan of the sauce and flavor of these.  We did the BBQ ribs recipe from Kenji, and while they were good, I prefer the dizzy dust and stubbs sauce combo that I have done before on baby backs.  I also like the meatiness of the baby back cut over the St. Louis cut.

Next time I attempt this I will probably do the 36 hours in the sous vide with baby back ribs, dizzy dust for the rub, and stubbs for the sauce at the end.

Hard to beat this method for results vs effort.  You just have to plan ahead though.  I'm always running around doing things on the weekend, and rarely have 6 hours that I can dedicate to making these on the egg.  For example, I might make these again when family comes to visit.  But they are from out of town, and always want to go sightseeing.  Using the method I can make ribs for them at night, and still go sightseeing with them during the day.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    mlamb01 said:
    Oh yeah.  It's alot less involved.  Only takes about an hour on the egg to finish them at the end.  The ribs were fall apart tender and not dry at all.  My wifed love them.

Personally though, I was not a big fan of the sauce and flavor of these.  We did the BBQ ribs recipe from Kenji, and while they were good, I prefer the dizzy dust and stubbs sauce combo that I have done before on baby backs.  I also like the meatiness of the baby back cut over the St. Louis cut.

Next time I attempt this I will probably do the 36 hours in the sous vide with baby back ribs, dizzy dust for the rub, and stubbs for the sauce at the end.

Hard to beat this method for results vs effort.  You just have to plan ahead though.  I'm always running around doing things on the weekend, and rarely have 6 hours that I can dedicate to making these on the egg.  For example, I might make these again when family comes to visit.  But they are from out of town, and always want to go sightseeing.  Using the method I can make ribs for them at night, and still go sightseeing with them during the day.
    The beauty is that you can pretty much do these ahead of time any day of the week, and then stick them in the fridge.  Then it's just an hour to finish in the Egg.
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Yeah if you plan ahead. Those look great! How was the texture.  The cooking and then fridge or freezer is nice. 

im good with frozen racks and 6 hours for cook time and no trouble or fore thought. I have till lunch to decide if I want ribs. 

Bbq is made for drinking and chasing kids around the yard or house !
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    cool thanks for posting . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”