Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand new to the BGE world... couple of questions

Options
Chase2016
Chase2016 Posts: 36
edited January 2017 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone and thanks for the accept into the forum. I live in eastern North Carolina and BRAND new to the BGE. I am really excited   about learning to dial in my cooking on this awesome grill. I do have a few questions about the egg and the way the forum works....

1.If I read a post with some really helpful information how can I flag it to refer back to later?

2.In reading what little I have so far it seems a plate setter is a must. Which should I get a cast iron or ceramic? Also what are some other (if any) must own accessories?

3.Where is a good place to order or buy accessories?

Will take any help I can get as I'm just trying to be a sponge right now and soak all the information in I can. Thanks again everyone and happy to be here

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Chase2016 said:
    Hello everyone and thanks for the accept into the future. I live in eastern North Carolina and BRAND new to the BGE. I am really excited   about learning to dial in my cooking on this awesome grill. I do have a few questions about the egg and the way the forum works....

1.If I read a post with some really helpful information how can I flag it to refer back to later?

2.In reading what little I have so far it seems a plate setter is a must. Which should I get a cast iron or ceramic? Also what are some other (if any) must own accessories?

3.Where is a good place to order or buy accessories?

Will take any help I can get as I'm just trying to be a sponge right now and soak all the information in I can. Thanks again everyone and happy to be here

Welcome, Sponge!  ;)

1) Hit the star in the upper right corner. It'll flag it.

2) Ceramic.  Less maintenance.  You'll find people here that like both and you can also cook on the CI version, but keep it simple.  Or buy an Adjustable Rig from the CGS and get their stone.  (I just gave you the link.)  Also search this forum for tips on what to buy.  You'll find answers for most of your questions.

3) It really depends what you want.  There isn't one place for everything.  Some sites just sell their own stuff, so you will end up bouncing around to several. Many are represented by owners/users here and you'll see their links as you read.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Welcome aboard from your southern neighbor. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    First, welcome aboard.

I'm no help with #1.

For #2 and #3, many would recommend not buying a platesetter and calling Tom at the Ceramic Grill Store to figure out what you need in terms of a heat deflector (you need something to do indirect cooks) and assorted accessories to cook on multiple levels.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/

Again, welcome aboard.  Enjoy the journey and join the fun.

Although we all know that in eastern NC, all you're ever going to cook is pulled pork, so you may as well just get a platesetter and be done with it...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Welcome fellow NC Egghead! I want to congratulate you on the purchase of your new egg. As far as the plate setter goes I would contact Tom @ Ceramic Grill Store in Denton, Tx. buy an adj ring, with woo and pizza stone. That set up is great and will double as a platesetter. Just call Tom he will not sell you anything you don't need, he is not a "pushy type" salesman and will ask you what you want to cook, how much, etc. Also, I would like to personally invite you to Butt Blast 2017 @ Salisbury, NC on 4/22/17, everything is free and you will meet a great bunch of people plus gather a ton of information. Welcome aboard!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Good morning and welcome. You have to be on a computer to flag posts to save, at least that's what I've noticed when using an iPhone. I have a ceramic plate setter and it works fine for me. If it ever breaks, I would look at cast iron as it does seem to have some advantages. I'm sure others will chime in on this...

Go slow on buying accessories, you do need a good, fast digital meat thermometer and high temp gloves are useful. The platesetter is a must and a pizza stone is good to have as well.

good luck and have fun!
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Skip the plate setter and call Tom. He'll walk you through what works best for the types of cooks you do.

Get a thermoworks thermapen, you can thank me later

and if you want to do pizza, get the BGE pizza stone. Others just break, BGE won't

Other than that, just get cooking and you'll get a feel for what you need.

Oh...and booze. Lots and lots of booze.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• piney
    Options
    ^^^I forgot Thermapen as @Griffin suggested..that is a MUST! and take it easy on buying accessories because you will buy stuff you don't need (trust me on this) but  foremost  call Tom.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • KYJeff
    KYJeff Posts: 31
    Options
    So much on the egg is preference.  That being said, I can not say enough about the adjustable rig and woo combo   https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg/products/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo-bge

The ability to cook high in the dome and multiple layers of cooking at once is amazing.  I hardly use my egg at standard level.  I think this link is for the spider/rig combo.  Do some reading on the web site and look up videos on the different ways to set it up.  The extra money is really worth it.  The quality of the adjustable rig is out standing as well.  All big green egg name brand accessories need to be bought at a dealer.  There are plenty of other grilling accessories out there.  Welcome to the forum!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    piney said:
    Also, I would like to personally invite you to Butt Blast 2017 @ Salisbury, NC on 4/22/17, everything is free and you will meet a great bunch of people plus gather a ton of information. 
    Piney....quit lying to him.....some of us are @ssholes
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    piney said:
    Also, I would like to personally invite you to Butt Blast 2017 @ Salisbury, NC on 4/22/17, everything is free and you will meet a great bunch of people plus gather a ton of information. 
    Piney....quit lying to him.....some of us are @ssholes
    That was covered (up) with the "gather a ton of information"

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

Here's a thread I started when I first got my egg asking about accessories: 

To answer my own questions 18 months later:

Table - had one custom built (see link in my signature)
    Lump starter - weed burner. Easiest and fastest. Tried them all (even wasted money on the LooftLighter).
    Pizza Stone/Platesetter/multi-level cooking - Tom at Ceramic Grill Store, as mentioned above
    Cast iron grid - love it and use it all the time for steaks and burgers. Not essential.
    Grid lifter - get the Third Hand from Third Eye
    Ash removal - get a cheap Sears shop vac with the fine ash/HEPA filter. Easiest way to do it.

You will quickly see that there is no one right answer (just wait until someone asks which lump is best and how to light it). And go slow with purchases, especially big ones. I'm glad I waited on the table as I ended up with two large eggs (and now a MiniMax also) so would have had to get rid of the single table had I purchased one. You will see what you use and what you need the more you cook. Most of all, enjoy. Even if you are a Dolphins fan. :smiley:

Oh, one final suggestion: to search the forum posts more efficiently, use Google and enter your search terms and "site:eggheadforum.com"  Much better search tool than the one on the site. Pretty much everything you will ask has been discussed at length so it will help you get the answers you need quicker than asking and waiting for responses.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    welcome aboard.  lots of good info above.  

I'm in the VA Beach area of southeast VA and have family in OBX and Washington, NC.  

Where abouts are you located?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome fellow Carolina egger!!!   Glad to have you aboard.... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Marty_Huggins
    Options
    Welcome! I'm pretty new here too but I've learned a lot. It gets crazy sometimes but it's mostly funny.

Sumter. South Carolina
    Bring Your Broom, Cuz it's a mess
    Medium BGE, Weber Genesis, Weber Kettle
    2 Pugs (Muffins and Poundcakes)

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    For me, the plate setter turned out to be a waste of money as I purchased an AR and several different sized stones from Tom at CGS that several have linked above. If you don't want to spend the money and make your own set up for raised grid a platesetter is pretty much a necessity if you want to do indirect cooks.  I believe Tom now makes a set up that incorporates a platesetter, but that wasn't available when I purchased my Adjustable Rig
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • Chase2016
    Options
    Yeah I called earlier for Tom and they said to get a setup called a "woo" and it would serve as a plate setter AND raise my cooking surface above the felt line.
    @johnnyp I live in Mount Olive and work as a machinist in Wilmington NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    What follows is a collection of info that may or not be of use:

Here’s a link to all things ceramic-chances are if you have a question the answer is within this site somewhere.  Check out the recipe section for some great ideas.  http://www.nakedwhiz.com/nwindex.htm

For additional links to cooking/recipe sites; here are two very good ones, depending what you are cooking:  This site contains a wealth of the science behind Q cooking along with info on about every type of meat cook you would attempt: http://amazingribs.com/

Here’s the second one:  http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/

After-market toys- With the BGE there are three basic styles of cooking;  “direct”-where the cooking grid is on top of the fire ring; “raised direct”-where the grid is elevated at least to the gasket-line (this setup requires after-market stuff-easiest is to get another grid and then use three fire bricks (or three empty aluminum beer cans) and place them on the grid at the fire ring and then put the second grid on top. The third is “indirect” where there is a heat deflector (platesetter or some other type stone, see above option) between the burning lump and the cooking grid.  This is the setup for low&slow long duration cooks.  I would get comfortable playing around with the BGE before any major after-market investments.  Will save you $$ in the long run.

Some observations-make sure you calibrate your dome thermo-boil some water, then insert the thermo and check the temp.  If not around 210*F, then note the off-set and use the nut on the back to correct.  Then recheck.

Temperature is a controlled by the volume of lump burning.  The volume is controlled by the air-flow thru the BGE.  In thru the bottom vent and out the top.  Make sure when you set it up that the fire box opening is aligned with the lower vent. 

When adjusting the vent(s) to change temperature, the feedback loop can take some time.  Changes in air-flow are reflected in the dome thermo temp.  Don’t chase temperature; +/- 10-15*F is close enough.

“Stable temperature” is a relative term.  Means you haven’t moved the vents and the temperature is steady for anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

That's more than enough.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Griffin said:

Skip the plate setter and call Tom. He'll walk you through what works best for the types of cooks you do.

Get a thermoworks thermapen, you can thank me later

and if you want to do pizza, get the BGE pizza stone. Others just break, BGE won't

Other than that, just get cooking and you'll get a feel for what you need.

Oh...and booze. Lots and lots of booze.

The secret to fabulous egging is... a well-marinated cook!

Welcome aboard :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Chase2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is going to be fun
  • piney
    Options
    Welcome! I'm pretty new here too but I've learned a lot. It gets crazy sometimes but it's mostly funny.

Glad to have you aboard as well!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Griffin said:

The BGE pizza stone is a good one.  However there are others available that are just as good.  You want a stone that is at least 5/8" thick made of cordierite. Both the BGE and CGS stones meet this.  If you have a good pottery supply store near you, you can get a kiln shelf.  Pizza stones and kiln shelves are the same thing.  Kiln shelves sell for less than an equivalent pizza stone. While you are at the pottery supply store you could also get some kiln shelf posts to use as spacers in the egg.  The ones that break are thinner or made from other materials.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Chase2016 said:
    Yeah I called earlier for Tom and they said to get a setup called a "woo" and it would serve as a plate setter AND raise my cooking surface above the felt line.

Did you speak with Tom directly? If you don't already have a plate setter the adjustable rig may well be a better value for you in the long run. Ask about the R&B combo. It's the best all around and great for ribs and brisket.

And welcome!!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Chase2016
    Options
    I didn't speak to him directly the lady that answered the phone said he was with someone and she answered a few questions for me. What is the R&B combo? I was thinking of going ahead and getting the woo and the rig setup with the stone and grates for the racks on the adjustable rig
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    www.firecraft.com

New Albany, Ohio 

• Hotch
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have a plate setter and the Woo for my large. It works for me.
    It has an add on option of a raised grid with a sliding D grid for two level cooking.
    And I have the first one of those! It works great, for me.

The A/R goes beyond that. Most here use the A/R. Think about how, what and how many you cook for. Then just ask for Tom to give you a call back. Tell him how and what you cook. Butts, brisket, pizza, wings, steaks ribs cakes, bread, cookies, chili (no beans of course), stews, soups or what ever.
    He will put you on track with what is best.

I did not notice if you have a large or XL? If XL that's a game changer. Just speak with Tom, you will be fine.
    Then come back to the forum and we can spend more $$ on other stuff!!

And again, welcome to the herd!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I was in your shoes about 6 months ago when I got my XL BGE, and felt as enthusiastic as you sound. It is awesome. At the time I opted for the Cast Iron platesetter and it works fine. You do need something to diffuse the heat on an egg for sure. Do I regret not getting the AR setup, possibly, but I also have a grill extender from an accessory I got a few years ago for my kettle. I have been fine with the lo and slows at gasket level, and only once saw the need to extend for extra food. The CI is great but heavy. I have tried taking it out real quickly to go direct for  a few minutes and even with the heaviest of gloves you would need to do it real quick as it is hot as hell. Too many stories of the ceramic ps cracking for me so if you decide on a ps go with CI. it is  a few bucks cheaper than the rig setup but the AR does seem to be more versatile. Good luck.
  • Chase2016
    Options
  • Hotch
    Options
    Chase2016 said:
    @Hotch it's an XL egg
    Ah makes a big difference. Call Tom, you will be in good hands.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Sup, I got my stuff from CGS, Tom is easy to deal with.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Dinah_Moe_Humm
    Options
    If you don't want endless email notification of new comments on the treads you've bookmarked:  Click Notifications under my profile / click Edit profile (right side) / click Notification Preferences / Edit Bookmark discussion off
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA