Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

WAY OT: Keeping gun in vehicle

Options

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Eggcelsior I have a sun roof so we were shooting for just behind it. 

I took a vehicle CQB course when I was running SRT and stopped putting firearms forward. The instructor kept locking our seat belts (like a wreck situation) and nobody could reach forward in the cabin. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Smokin_Trout
    Options
    Under the steering column doesn't count as out of sight? It has to be completely covered?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    I keep a cheap 9mm in a gun rug under the center console of my Silverado. It's always there... Usually carry a little 380 in my waist. Indiana is a conceal carry state with permit
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    4 or 5 summers ago I witnessed a car-to-car shooting on the way home from work. To be honest, I was there about 10 seconds after it happened.

I saw two car's going head-to-head about 50 yards ahead of me - common in Los Angeles.

It all happened so fast, I remember car #1 coming right at me, then swerving to avoid hitting me, just in back, i saw the driver get out of car #2 and open the rear car door and pull his buddy out (why I don't know) blood was everywhere.

He put his buddy in the front seat and drove off.

This memory is stuck on my head ... and it just won't go away.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Options
    Hen apple what's the name of this holster you have
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I've been taught to keep any decals that has to do with guns/hunting off your vehicle. It's an open invite for thief's. Especially in places they know you can't carry 

I say the same thing for your house. While the NRA and "Secured by Smith & Wesson" sign is cute, it also tells would-be thieves you have a gun. And if you live in a state that is very restrictive in terms of concealed carry - meaning you must leave your weapon at home - you are now a prime target when not at home.

In MD, the weapon must be in a locked case in the trunk or furthest reach from anyone with no ammo in the weapon OR even the mag. Your 2A rights are reduced to a "privilege".  One law even made it illegal for a security guard or even an off-duty officer had to "transport" his weapon in the same manner.  Some of that got fixed.  Unfortunately there are too many ignorant people who live in MD that think that restricting gun access to law-abiding citizens will keep them safe.  (Ignorant because the don't think for themselves but only think what they are told by the gun haters). 
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2016
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    WeberWho said:
    I've been taught to keep any decals that has to do with guns/hunting off your vehicle. It's an open invite for thief's. Especially in places they know you can't carry 

I say the same thing for your house. While the NRA and "Secured by Smith & Wesson" sign is cute, it also tells would-be thieves you have a gun. And if you live in a state that is very restrictive in terms of concealed carry - meaning you must leave your weapon at home - you are now a prime target when not at home.

In MD, the weapon must be in a locked case in the trunk or furthest reach from anyone with no ammo in the weapon OR even the mag. Your 2A rights are reduced to a "privilege".  One law even made it illegal for a security guard or even an off-duty officer had to "transport" his weapon in the same manner.  Some of that got fixed.  Unfortunately there are too many ignorant people who live in MD that think that restricting gun access to law-abiding citizens will keep them safe.  (Ignorant because the don't think for themselves but only think what they are told by the gun haters). 
    Question about the bolded sentence above: if you own a weapon and must leave it at home, how does that make you a prime target when not at home? You would be no different from someone who doesn't own a weapon in the first place.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Who needs a gun sign when you can have this 

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    WeberWho said:

Question about the bolded sentence above: if you own a weapon and must leave it at home, how does that make you a prime target when not at home? You would be no different from someone who doesn't own a weapon in the first place.
    Well, now a thief would also know there are weapons in the house and possibly steal them. Doesn't mean you would be a bigger target when your out and about. Having a gun stolen from your home can be a huge PITA.  
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Options
    yljkt said:
    onedbguru said:
    WeberWho said:

Well, now a thief would also know there are weapons in the house and possibly steal them. Doesn't mean you would be a bigger target when your out and about. Having a gun stolen from your home can be a huge PITA.  
    I see - the house is the prime target, not the individual. Got it. Thanks!
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    WeberWho said:

Eggsactly. In states like this, miscreants know that the odds of you NOT carrying is like 2M:1, so everyone is a prime target.  In states (like TX) where the odds are more like 10:1 you are not carrying, makes for a very polite society. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Unbelievable. I am nearly 70 years old and have spent that entire time without a gun. Except the .22 rifle my dad gave me when I was a kid. Haven't touched it in probably 55 years though I do still own it. Don't think I've ever even held a handgun. I have no need or desire for a firearm and I would never consider carrying one around with me, concealed or otherwise. Then again, I don't own a pickup either. =)

I don't even know anyone who owns a gun. Except the son of a friend, and he's a state cop. And a couple of cousins (who otherwise seem normal). Even my Dad, who had to hunt for food as he was growing up, owned only a 12 ga. Which I never saw him use. If I do know anyone else, they've kept it a secret. The subject has never come up, not in all my years at work, not at parties, not in neighborhood conversations. Not ever. Except on a cooking forum. Go figure.

Can't imagine living somewhere where I felt that I had to be armed.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Unbelievable. I am nearly 70 years old and have spent that entire time without a gun. Except the .22 rifle my dad gave me when I was a kid. Haven't touched it in probably 55 years though I do still own it. Don't think I've ever even held a handgun. I have no need or desire for a firearm and I would never consider carrying one around with me, concealed or otherwise. Then again, I don't own a pickup either. =)

I don't even know anyone who owns a gun. Except the son of a friend, and he's a state cop. And a couple of cousins (who otherwise seem normal). Even my Dad, who had to hunt for food as he was growing up, owned only a 12 ga. Which I never saw him use. If I do know anyone else, they've kept it a secret. The subject has never come up, not in all my years at work, not at parties, not in neighborhood conversations. Not ever. Except on a cooking forum. Go figure.

So only abnormal folk own guns. Okay.

• Little Steven
    Options
    Gives Road Rage a whole new meaning Mick! You may not want to drive into Canada with that puppy in there.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    onedbguru said:
    WeberWho said:

Eggsactly. In states like this, miscreants know that the odds of you NOT carrying is like 2M:1, so everyone is a prime target.  In states (like TX) where the odds are more like 10:1 you are not carrying, makes for a very polite society. 

I wouldn't want to live in a state where I felt like I needed a gun to have a polite society. Good thing I live in the land of pleasant living!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Baltimore = Peaceful, easy feeling
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Actually, yes it is. Worked there for 8 years. Media outlets outside of local news don't paint a very accurate picture of things.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Actually, yes it is. Worked there for 8 years. Media outlets outside of local news don't paint a very accurate picture of things.
    I watched every season of The Wire tho.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    I watched every season of The Wire tho.  
    The Wire was pretty accurate. It's just a small subset of the overall population. Made a lot of friends with that crowd since I was busy changing their dressings and checking chest tubes. GSWs are certainly no fun.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Not sure how this thread went from a reponsible gun owner's glove box to a political rant regarding the 2nd amendment, so I'll add this:also thankful that I live in the south, and most importantly that I've never needed my guns. 
    Especially since they disappear from your truck at night.  :o
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

Well bless your heart...... 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Not sure how this thread went from a reponsible gun owner's glove box to a political rant regarding the 2nd amendment, so I'll add this:also thankful that I live in the south, and most importantly that I've never needed my guns. 
    Hahaha
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Off topic a bit, but I need to get my wife a home safe for her side arm since the kids are getting older and keeping it up high won't be an option much longer.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

Didn't realize I was such a weirdo.  Thanks for letting me know!

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Hahaha
    Funny guy. In all seriousness, it'll never happen again. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
     You may not want to drive into Canada with that puppy in there.
    Out of total ignorance here, Steven, what are the laws in Canada about weapons in general and CC?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    RRP said:
     You may not want to drive into Canada with that puppy in there.
    Out of total ignorance here, Steven, what are the laws in Canada about weapons in general and CC?
    You may only carry when riding a moose. Exceptions made for red and black flannel and/or a full denim ensemble when on foot.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I have no need or desire for a firearm and I would never consider carrying one around with me, concealed or otherwise. Then again, I don't own a pickup either. 

Dr. Petit probably felt the same way living in nice, quiet, upscale Cheshire. Sadly if he was armed, his wife and two daughters might still be alive. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.