Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon Slushie Recipe

Options

Comments

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I guess you could put this into mason jars and freeze right?
    How about using Jim beam apple or Jim beam honey?
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Wow!  What I love about this (other than the booze) is that you don't have to f*ck with a blender.   Definitely trying it.
    I highly recommend NOT f*cking with a blender.  Hurts like hell and its hard to get the blood stains off the ceiling. 

Unless you're at someone else's house. And it's their blender. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    caliking said:
    KiterTodd said:
    Wow!  What I love about this (other than the booze) is that you don't have to f*ck with a blender.   Definitely trying it.
    I highly recommend NOT f*cking with a blender.  Hurts like hell and its hard to get the blood stains off the ceiling. 

Unless you're at someone else's house. And it's their blender. 
    I died a little inside reading this comment.

:o 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    I guess you could put this into mason jars and freeze right?
    How about using Jim beam apple or Jim beam honey?
    Use whatever you want, we have stored them in liter pitchers, bowls, jars, etc. Just use Evan Williams, the other flavors with a bourbon background is the secret. But, hey, as a scientist, I will never overshadow investigative research.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Pappy good in this ?
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    A couple of these put a 400lb guy on his ass. Enough said. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Pappy good in this ?
    Any bourbon is good for this. However, with the masking flavors represented in the recipe, Pappy, would seem somewhat of an overkill. I use Evan Williams, (2016 Bourbon of the Year) for our blend. I have yet to be required to pour any remaining Bourbon Slushie out as waste. We have been making them for ten years.
    Save the Pappy for neat pours.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

We did find his hat though.

Hey Dude : jackets - cats...... who you got?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Who do you think? It's kinda like asking who is the tallest midget though...
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Who do you think? It's kinda like asking who is the tallest midget though...
    Yeah, at this level, it is pretty sad. I think Louisville is the only team UK beat with a winning record. Which is not saying much, as the Cardinals seem to be in disarray. I can't believe Lamar Jackson will win the Heisman.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this Ron.

Ambient highs are dippin' down to the 20s all the way through the weekend.  Plan is to whip up a batch in the 3 gal icing bucket, and keep it by the back door with a ladle.

My mom made a similar whiskey slush recipe at Christmas, everyone raved about it.  Strangely, I never did try it.  I remember seeing 7Up on the counter when she made a batch.  A reminder, I need to get over to my dad's, and go through her recipes.  Plan on putting them, along with my own keepers that have pilled up, and probably yours too, all wrote out on 4x6s or full sheets, in a nice recipe binder...an upcoming Jan-Feb putz project to clean things up a bit, and create something my son could enjoy some day.

Anywhoo, sorry to ramble bud, looking forward to trying your recipe out tomorrow, during a scheduled kettle rotisserie cook.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• oldmandawg
    Options
    That's just one serving, right?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    serving suggestion =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    Options
    That's just one serving, right?
    I think he had two......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    Options
    serving suggestion =)

At least they're drinking good beer (Spotted Cow)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YukonRon
    Options
    Focker said:

Ambient highs are dippin' down to the 20s all the way through the weekend.  Plan is to whip up a batch in the 3 gal icing bucket, and keep it by the back door with a ladle.

My mom made a similar whiskey slush recipe at Christmas, everyone raved about it.  Strangely, I never did try it.  I remember seeing 7Up on the counter when she made a batch.  A reminder, I need to get over to my dad's, and go through her recipes.  Plan on putting them, along with my own keepers that have pilled up, and probably yours too, all wrote out on 4x6s or full sheets, in a nice recipe binder...an upcoming Jan-Feb putz project to clean things up a bit, and create something my son could enjoy some day.

Anywhoo, sorry to ramble bud, looking forward to trying your recipe out tomorrow, during a scheduled kettle rotisserie cook.
    As you may or may, not know, My Beautiful Wife's mother passed away recently, and the only fight among her brothers and sisters that got a touch worrisome, was her recipe file. These are super intelligent people that seemed as if the were ready to jump into the ring for the last man or woman standing got the goods. A compromise was made to give them all to a third party for all recipes to be duplicated and placed on a thumb drive and distributed to all involved. Nobody trusted anyone to get this done. I hear you brother. Get that stuff together and make sure your children all get copies.

The original recipe did in fact call for it to be cut with a lemon lime type of drink, but we deleted that step. I think it tastes much better, and lowers the sugar content a little bit. You can also use sugar substitutes in the mix as well, should you wish to do so.

Keeping it outside, as long as you can get it cold enough for liquid to freeze up a bit should work.

Tonight, we will start the Eggnog recipe. Homemade is killer. We will be using old casks, originally brought over from Ireland to mix and fold it in. Nothing is allowed to touch stainless steel in the building of this stuff. It really makes a difference. Everything is hand stirred, with wooden spoons and paddles in crock bowls and casks. First time I did it with the family, I thought it was load of BS, until I tried it. It is incredible.

Unfortunately, I m not allowed the family secret, My Beautiful Wife's orders. The secret is not the ingredients, it is the process. It is tremendously regimented on time, temps per process, the process, even the type of crock, air exposure, and manner of stirring and folding.

I hope you enjoy the recipe, have fun, be careful.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    serving suggestion =)

Trust is a wonderful thing. However, I would just leave in in a food saver bag, outside my door, in temps like this.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Focker
    edited December 2016
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Focker said:

As you may or may, not know, My Beautiful Wife's mother passed away recently, and the only fight among her brothers and sisters that got a touch worrisome, was her recipe file. These are super intelligent people that seemed as if the were ready to jump into the ring for the last man or woman standing got the goods. A compromise was made to give them all to a third party for all recipes to be duplicated and placed on a thumb drive and distributed to all involved. Nobody trusted anyone to get this done. I hear you brother. Get that stuff together and make sure your children all get copies.

The original recipe did in fact call for it to be cut with a lemon lime type of drink, but we deleted that step. I think it tastes much better, and lowers the sugar content a little bit. You can also use sugar substitutes in the mix as well, should you wish to do so.

Keeping it outside, as long as you can get it cold enough for liquid to freeze up a bit should work.

Tonight, we will start the Eggnog recipe. Homemade is killer. We will be using old casks, originally brought over from Ireland to mix and fold it in. Nothing is allowed to touch stainless steel in the building of this stuff. It really makes a difference. Everything is hand stirred, with wooden spoons and paddles in crock bowls and casks. First time I did it with the family, I thought it was load of BS, until I tried it. It is incredible.

Unfortunately, I m not allowed the family secret, My Beautiful Wife's orders. The secret is not the ingredients, it is the process. It is tremendously regimented on time, temps per process, the process, even the type of crock, air exposure, and manner of stirring and folding.

Thanks, glad that a third party stepped in when things got rough.

The eggnog sounds wonderful Ron.  My buddy has searched the QC for EW nog.  There is only one place that carries it during the holidays. He bought me a bottle.  Adding some EW bourbon and nutmeg, could see where this drink could wreck a holiday party or two. hahaha

Would love to have yours, but I must settle for EW nog.   EW eggnog french toast with leftover house bread or brioche, maybe a splash of EW in some fancy grade A maple syrup, mmmmm.  =)

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• YukonRon
    Options
    Focker said:
    YukonRon said:
    Focker said:

The eggnog sounds wonderful Ron.  My buddy has searched the QC for EW nog.  There is only one place that carries it during the holidays. He bought me a bottle.  Adding some EW bourbon and nutmeg, could see where this drink could wreck a holiday party or two. hahaha

Would love to have yours, but I must settle for EW nog.   EW eggnog french toast with leftover house bread or brioche, maybe a splash of EW in some fancy grade A maple syrup, mmmmm.  =)

Love the way you think. We freeze it like ice cream, and put between ginger cookies. KILLER!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Just made a recipe to get a baseline flavor. Tastes good so far. 
    I got 9x 500 ml mason jars filled for Friday nights festivities. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I could use one now.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Focker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Focker said:
    YukonRon said:
    Focker said:

Love the way you think. We freeze it like ice cream, and put between ginger cookies. KILLER!
    Damn.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,260
    edited December 2016
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Just made a recipe to get a baseline flavor. Tastes good so far. 
    I got 9x 500 ml mason jars filled for Friday nights festivities. 
    That's a great idea. I just got rid of two dozen brand new 500ml mason jars.  :o

I put my concoction in an extra large Ziploc freezer bag, to be squeezed into a glass whenever the mood strikes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You had me at Evan Williams.
    Options
    You had me at Evan Williams.
    Did a EW and vanilla bean SV. Came out fantastic.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    This could be your wife after you have had a couple of Ron's (really Suzy's)
    Bourbon Slushies.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Bourbon Slushies.

That is my wife. Where did you get that?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Bourbon Slushies.

Would you buy that it was over by the creek at Butt Blast I?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Bourbon Slushies.

Would you buy that it was over by the creek at Butt Blast I?
    Sure, I am gullible, and trusting.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • hondabbq
    Options
    This made 9 X 500 ml mason jars.  Froze them up and took to a Christmas party. Brought some for everyone ( 6 of us) I drank 7 lol. I'm making pizzas in the oven at midnight.