Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo justice...

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Went to a wedding in Chicago some time ago.the grooms side was Polish. There was no water on the tables at the reception - just carafes of premium vodka selected by the family , and shot glasses.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Eastern Europe is vodka playground. Every region in every country seems to have specific set of vodkas used for different settings, social, formal, just hanging out by the pit fires.
    It is as important to any social function as the word "friend".
    @DoubleEgger is right, if you don't drink vodka in EE, you did not experience EE.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    caliking said:
    Went to a wedding in Chicago some time ago.the grooms side was Polish. There was no water on the tables at the reception - just carafes of premium vodka selected by the family , and shot glasses.
    It's necessary so that the guests don't start getting DTs. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited November 2016
    I've heard your average Russian household spends upwards of 10% of their family income on vodka.  Safer than drinking water I guess.  They also spend another 10% on government efforts to hack foreign elections.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I've heard your average Russian household spends upwards of 10% of their family income on vodka.  Safer than drinking water I guess.  They also spend another 10% on government efforts to hack foreign elections.  
    Thank goodness on both accounts! Whew! 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Our Vice-Commander when I worked on ICBMs up at Grand Forks AFB, ND was on the START team; he hosted the Russian military officers who came out to ND to inspect for START compliance, and he in turn travelled to Russia to do the same for them.
    He said they always started breakfast with two shots of vodka (these are officers who are heading out to the missile control centers!), two shots of vodka with lunch, then at dinnertime they started serious drinking.  Was quite an eye-opener for him.  
    While here in the States, several of the russian officers kept asking to stop into different stores; grocery stores, hardware, department, even "Quick-Stop" gas stations; they would walk in, look around a bit, and head back out to the bus without buying anything.  Turns out they thought the store-fronts were fake, and they were amazed at the amount of food and goods available, to everyone.  We were told that several Russian officers later committed suicide, knowing they had dedicated their lives to a system that wasn't working very well.  Amazing times...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Zubrowka is good stuff.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch said:
    Our Vice-Commander when I worked on ICBMs up at Grand Forks AFB, ND was on the START team; he hosted the Russian military officers who came out to ND to inspect for START compliance, and he in turn travelled to Russia to do the same for them.
    He said they always started breakfast with two shots of vodka (these are officers who are heading out to the missile control centers!), two shots of vodka with lunch, then at dinnertime they started serious drinking.  Was quite an eye-opener for him.  
    While here in the States, several of the russian officers kept asking to stop into different stores; grocery stores, hardware, department, even "Quick-Stop" gas stations; they would walk in, look around a bit, and head back out to the bus without buying anything.  Turns out they thought the store-fronts were fake, and they were amazed at the amount of food and goods available, to everyone.  We were told that several Russian officers later committed suicide, knowing they had dedicated their lives to a system that wasn't working very well.  Amazing times...
    Not just that they dedicated their lives to it, but that their countrymen had been sold a bed of lies about the US.  How do you return to your families and say "well, actually..."  

Much more difficult to pull that off these days.  The internet has actually reduced the effectiveness of state-based propaganda in foreign countries.  Just not in ours, unfortunately.   
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    Botch said:
    Not just that they dedicated their lives to it, but that their countrymen had been sold a bed of lies about the US.  How do you return to your families and say "well, actually..."  

Much more difficult to pull that off these days.  The internet has actually reduced the effectiveness of state-based propaganda in foreign countries.  Just not in ours, unfortunately.   
    Which is why some countries restrict internet access. 
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • Botch said:

It's true, but there are ways around it that many citizens are aware of, at least in some of them.  
  • pgprescott
    Botch said:

It's true, but there are ways around it that many citizens are aware of, at least in some of them.  
    Which is also why the MSM and the like want to censor the so called "fake news". They want to decide what is true based upon their biased viewpoint. If they agree with the conclusions it will be real and true news, if not , then it will be deemed fake or false news. You should be very disturbed by this tact.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Botch said:

Which is also why the MSM and the like want to censor the so called "fake news". They want to decide what is true based upon their biased viewpoint. If they agree with the conclusions it will be real and true news, if not , then it will be deemed fake or false news. You should be very disturbed by this tact.
    Pretty funny to call some of that stuff "so called "fake news"" when many of those "so called "fake news"" sites were admittedly set up by teenagers in some Eastern European countries.

Here's an interesting article written by a fellow that actually created and ran a "so called "fake news"" website for many months -    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/21/i-ve-been-making-viral-fake-news-for-the-last-six-months-it-s-way-too-easy-to-dupe-the-right-on-the-internet.html#oo
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Here's your justice, Buffalo
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited November 2016
    I never saw anything remotely close to expensive when it came to alcohol in Eastern Europe. 
    It's ridiculous. When in Barcelona we went to a shot bar. They had something like 700 different shot variations. The kicker.....Any shot was $2!!! I'm not talking some little splash of vodka. They were lighting shots on fire and cooking marshmallows on it. It was a freaking presentation for two dollars! My friend's roommate who lived in Barcelona didn't want to go because it wasn't Thursay. (When shots are $1) Any shot that night would have been minimum of $8 here in the states. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited November 2016

Hmmm....

I think the idea is to eliminate things that are demonstrably false.   These are false quotes or news clippings about events that never occurred.  I agree with you that if there's an element of subjectivity involved then it's another story, but I really don't think that's what we're talking about.  

For what it's worth, one of the things that circulated this cycle was a quote from Donald Trump about running as a Republican because they were easily fooled (he never said that).  

To me, what's disturbing is that fake news items were viewed and circulated orders of magnitude more this year than actual news.  And yes, that it seems there's more than enough evidence that the Russians were behind some of this.  I suspect the reason more people aren't upset with this is due to the perception that it ended up helping the outcome they desired in the first place.  
  • pgprescott

Hmmm....

I think the idea is to eliminate things that are demonstrably false.   These are false quotes or news clippings about events that never occurred.  I agree with you that if there's an element of subjectivity involved then it's another story, but I really don't think that's what we're talking about.  

For what it's worth, one of the things that circulated this cycle was a quote from Donald Trump about running as a Republican because they were easily fooled (he never said that).  

To me, what's disturbing is that fake news items were viewed and circulated orders of magnitude more this year than actual news.  And yes, that it seems there's more than enough evidence that the Russians were behind some of this.  I suspect the reason more people aren't upset with this is due to the perception that it ended up helping the outcome they desired in the first place.  
    Yeah, you mean like Mitt Romney not paying taxes in the 2012 cycle? The point is that someone will be the arbiter of what is true and what is false. In many cases there would be no issue, but I can easily see the potential, check that, certain problem of the borderline things. This is as obvious a bad idea as was Obamacare. It's not like the really problematic issues are not easily foreseeable. 

The so so called real news as you might call it is utter crap as I see it. It is totally slanted. You cannot see the slant because of your own inherent bias. It's less subtle every year. It's the way the headline is written or how they spend 15 minutes discussing how someone might be an awe full racist and then in one small blurb they announce that you can't really determine that though because there is zero real evidence. It astonishing to me that those on the left don't recognize it more easily. 

You are not suggesting the Russian leaders are a threat to us? They have their own interests? Crazy talk! Just as Obama and Hill said, "this isn't 1985"!  

I am fine with this censorship deal on real news. We can appoint someone through congress to a lifetime term as to avoid any outside pressures and conflicts. They will in turn name their successor. You in? 
  • pgprescott
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

Pretty funny to call some of that stuff "so called "fake news"" when many of those "so called "fake news"" sites were admittedly set up by teenagers in some Eastern European countries.

Here's an interesting article written by a fellow that actually created and ran a "so called "fake news"" website for many months -    http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/11/21/i-ve-been-making-viral-fake-news-for-the-last-six-months-it-s-way-too-easy-to-dupe-the-right-on-the-internet.html#oo
    Where do you draw the line? If say a MSM accidentally reports that Mitt Romney didn't pay taxes, should they be shut down? The absolute delusional hysteria needs to stop. The irony of the left crying about phony or slanted news is too rich!
  • HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

Where do you draw the line? If say a MSM accidentally reports that Mitt Romney didn't pay taxes, should they be shut down? The absolute delusional hysteria needs to stop. The irony of the left crying about phony or slanted news is too rich!
    This is pretty clearly a delusional comparison to the kind of news items I mentioned.
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    @JohnInCarolina, i respect your opinion brother so I ask this question because I will listen... Why did the New York Times feel it necessary to apologize to its readers and promise to refocus on objective news? 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    JethroVA said:
    @JohnInCarolina, i respect your opinion brother so I ask this question because I will listen... Why did the New York Times feel it necessary to apologize to its readers and promise to refocus on objective news? 
    Interesting edit.
    http://nypost.com/2016/11/15/new-york-times-edits-its-election-apology-letter/?0p19G=c
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited November 2016
    JethroVA said:
    I have no idea.  I honestly do not read the NYT all that much.  But I will tell you that I don't think the NYT did its job this cycle.  

There is a major issue with most of the major media right now, and that is that they all view access as vital to their jobs.
  • blind99
    @JethroVA they apologized because so many people cancelled their subscriptions. The views of the NYT were 1- trump can't win because he's an idiot, and 2 - only an ignorant person would vote for an idiot like trump. Trump won, and people don't like being called dumb. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

As @JohnInCarolina has tried to explain earlier (@ 2:34PM) there is an important distinction between media bias, the occasional error in reporting and websites set up with the intentional purpose of "making sh!t up".

The only "absolute delusional hysteria" I see is from those constantly railing against the "lamestream" media. Irony sees itself in the mirror.

Hey, even tho its in the lamestream NY Times here's another interesting look at who makes those"so called fake news" sites and why they do $o - - http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/25/world/europe/fake-news-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-georgia.html

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blind99 said:
    @JethroVA they apologized because so many people cancelled their subscriptions. The views of the NYT were 1- trump can't win because he's an idiot, and 2 - only an ignorant person would vote for an idiot like trump. Trump won, and people don't like being called dumb. 
    I guess that simple apology was somehow effective, given what's happened to their subscriptions since.  
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816

Hmmm....

Holy ****, you guys are now blaming it on the Russians, you've got to be kidding me

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• blind99
    @JohnInCarolina see, trump MUST be good for business, if even the times gets more readers! ;)
  • EGGjlmh said:

Hmmm....

Holy ****, you guys are now blaming it on the Russians, you've got to be kidding me
    Blaming what?  The role the Russians had fostering *some* of the fake news has been widely documented.  
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    EGGjlmh said:

Hmmm....

I blame the Americans that set this shid show up in the first place. This conversation, either way, is ridiculous. We the people, failed to form a more perfect union. If this is the best either party can produce as a candidate for president, we need to rid those people from the parties, or find a new one. I loathe them both.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    Oh dear, the nyt and wapo say there is a problem with fake news! Shocker!

I stand by my words which clearly point out the lunacy of censoring fake news. I say the MSM is fake news. I don't think any of the election deniers want to appoint a news czar through Congress as I suggested. It's just wrong to believe that some fake news stories had influence on the election, consequential influence that is. It was fielding a criminal and then calling people who disagreed with you racist, homophobic,bigots, who happen to be stupid that turned so many reliable dem voters to Trump. The kicker is he tried everything he could to give the election back, but the name callers were even worse than he was. 

Oh, @HeavyG, there isn't occasional errors or media bias, it outright dishonesty and intentional deception as well as blatant propaganda. The MSM is on par with their comrades. My point, my dear, is that where does one draw the line and who is the arbiter? I suggested we have a media czar appointed by the new prez and approved by Congress for a life term like the courts. I'm sure you would be happy with the 25yo rabid conservative they would appoint, right? See a problem now? You just assume that the actions of your darlings are acceptable. They most certainly are not. I could argue they are far worse than fake news.