Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For Cen-Tex. A 38.3 pound monster in the making.

SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
And so it begins my friends. As most of you already know, this was sent to me by a good friend and forum legend, brother Tex. The true weight was 38.3 pounds before trimming. I removed 6.2 pounds of fat making this a 32.1 pound cook. The brisket went on at 12:00 midnight. Here are a few of the trim and seasoning shots. Will keep adding pics as the cook comes together. A special thanks again to brother Tex. 

The marbling is just insane.

6.2 pounds of fat coming off. 

To give you idea of just how big it is, after trimming and preseasoning, I set it across my large BGE. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    @sgh - that shot on top of the large BGE is amazing. 
    New Orleans LA
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Nice!  Love that shot on the egg.  That puts it into perspective.

So, just S&P on that beast?  I'm sure it'll be awesome. I've always wanted to do just a S&P rub one time.

Do you do anything with all the fat you cut off?  I chuck it, but thought you may have a more creative use for it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited May 2016
    Oh man I'm fired up for this. That marbling is nuts. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Or half of one at least. 38.3lbs!!!!! Crazy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I'm sending the link to this to Josh at Ranger so he can follow along.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    @SGH I could have used that on the XXL Friday!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I am not sure it would fit on an XXL. That thing is a beautiful behemoth.  
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited May 2016
    Jstroke said:
    I am not sure it would fit on an XXL. That thing is a beautiful behemoth.  
    It would just fit. It was 24 inches long and 15 wide. Xxl is 29 inches I believe. Still a testament to how massive this thing was. 
  • Jstroke
    Good excuse to buy XXL then. "Honey, brisket won't fit on a XL ---see"
  • Hotch
    Jstroke said:
    I agree. Would you please call my wife and explain?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    I'm going to go make some popcorn....ill be right back... :o
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Or half of one at least. 38.3lbs!!!!! Crazy. 
    I'm still amazed at its sheer size. In my mind it was probably going to be around 25 pounds. But as they say, seeing is believing. It's bigger than most of the clods I cook. Truly a incredible sight to behold in person. I think I have found my new beef supplier for large cuts if he is willing to ship. The marbling is as impressive as the size. I thought that I had seen it all. But this was a real eye opener. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Oh man that marbling is beautiful.

Oh, and I noticed you are keeping the identity of the Unit a secret. Is it on fabled Unit #9?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mama Roneck
    Mama Roneck Posts: 386
    KiterTodd said:

So, just S&P on that beast?  I'm sure it'll be awesome. I've always wanted to do just a S&P rub one time.

Do you do anything with all the fat you cut off?  I chuck it, but thought you may have a more creative use for it.

I cut the trimmings into 3/4 or 1 inch cubes and render in a slow cooker for 10 hours.  Then ladle the amber liquid tallow into jars, where it wil harden at room temp.  Great for biscuits and pie crusts.

That brisket looks like it came from outer space!  The size alone would be remarkable, but the marbling looks exceptional too.  Will be posting the launch of my measly 17# brisket on the MD weekend brisket thread soon, but I think we already have a winner!
    Mamaroneck
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Following!  Can't wait to see the results.  Love the photo with the Large Egg...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Gamecockeggman Posts: 1,329
    I'm as excited as a flea on a fat dog.  Scottie you must not keep us at bay.... What cooker are you using?  If my calculations are correct and the meat Gods are smiling upon you, you are approximately 3 hours from pulling it.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited May 2016
    DMW said:

Oh, and I noticed you are keeping the identity of the Unit a secret. Is it on fabled Unit #9?
    Ya, @SGH, what Unit?? And many guests are gourging?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SGH Show us the cooker as well.  We are all living vicariously through this cook - we want the full experience. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Standing by..... 
    Seattle, WA
  • KiterTodd said:

I cut the trimmings into 3/4 or 1 inch cubes and render in a slow cooker for 10 hours.  Then ladle the amber liquid tallow into jars, where it wil harden at room temp.  Great for biscuits and pie crusts.

That brisket looks like it came from outer space!  The size alone would be remarkable, but the marbling looks exceptional too.  Will be posting the launch of my measly 17# brisket on the MD weekend brisket thread soon, but I think we already have a winner!
    The fat on these and the snake river farms beef renders crystal clear. It's like liquid gold. 
  • Jstroke
    Hotch said:
    Jstroke said:
    Hotch, as a veteran in sales, I will gladly explain the virtues, benifits and gains that an XXL will bring to both your home and the relationship so that is a true partner in this endeavor. However, she may require an appropriate item of her choosing in order to help balance the equation. I will gladly make the trip in order to help a brother out. I will have Tex fly in a "sample" for demonstration and all we will be at peace when we are done.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    DMW said:

Unit 9 is a myth.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    DMW said:

Ya, @SGH, what Unit?? And many guests are gourging?
      Guests?
    NOLA
  • chuckytheegghead
    chuckytheegghead Posts: 1,201
    Wow. Just wow. Standing by. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You have my attention!  That marbling is outstanding!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Makes the 22+ pounder I seen at Costco look like a punk....
  • Here's a spy shot of #9

the original ceramic grill (and cooler too!)
  • Hotch
    Jstroke said:
    Hotch said:
    Jstroke said:
    Hotch, as a veteran in sales, I will gladly explain the virtues, benifits and gains that an XXL will bring to both your home and the relationship so that is a true partner in this endeavor. However, she may require an appropriate item of her choosing in order to help balance the equation. I will gladly make the trip in order to help a brother out. I will have Tex fly in a "sample" for demonstration and all we will be at peace when we are done.
    That sounds like a plan I may have to pay twice for!
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX