Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting Big Egg

Options
Just got my BGE and having trouble keeping it lit. Apparently making some simple mistake. The following is what I'm doing: 1) open BGE fill to spot recommended with lump charcoal 2). Open both top and lower vents fully 3). light BE starter square and insert in charcoal 4). wait until fire is going well - couple min. 5) close lid - when temp gets to 250 close lower vent completely - daisy wheel full open. After short time, the temp stalls out and heads south towards zero.

What's this clueless egghead doing wrong ??

Comments

• yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Closing the lower vent completely. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Closing the lower vent completely. 
    This.  You need some air *flow*.  The air has to have a path to come up through the charcoal.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Toss those starters and buy a mapp torch. When I first started I used those, and they caused me problems twice. Also get the kick ash basket. Now you will be set for worry free start ups! And don't close the lower vent all the way.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Starters are fine. Just leave the dome open longer before you close it down. It can be 10-15 minutes before you close. The higher the desired temp, the longer I let it go (open). 

Your bottom vest is the main temp control more so than the daisy wheel. Neither are ever fully closed when cooking. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• EagleFan
    EagleFan Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, I'll look into the MAPP torch - where are they located ?? And, keep the lower vent open as "all" mentioned.
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    @EagleFan. There are lots of ways to light a fire in the egg. There is no consensus best way.  MAPP torches work well, but you may not want to buy one just for starting fires in your egg. You should review the many discussions on this forum about lighting fires before spending cash for a new toy.  Use the starters you have until they run out and then replace them with whatever method you choose.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For the torch, keep in mind that you don't need MAP-PRO gas (MAPP gas is no longer sold). A standard propane cylinder is fine, at about 1/3 the cost. The MAP torch head is a good idea though as it is designed differently and will stay lit when inverted. 

I got my Bernzomatic TS-8000 at Lowe's, but any hardware store should have them. I haven't seen just the torch, but I've never looked for it either. You might have to buy the "kit" (torch and a MAP cylinders). But when you run out, replace with propane. MAP $10/14oz, Propane $4.00/16oz

Or, you could just use cooking oil and paper towels. That works well too and is almost free,

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Or look into an electric device, such as a Looflighter. Mines quick to work, and 2 years on the patio it looks like hell, but works like a champ.

As other mentioned, it's your closing of the bottom vent. Open the lid, add your lump. Light your lump. I'd even suggest making a slight concave middle area with the lump.. Add your starter, light it, and then stack a few pieces around/over to aide in extra lighting.

Leave lid open, bottom vent wide open. 5-15 minutes, you'll have a decent fire going. Get it "set" depending on the temp you'd like to reach. It's always easier to raise the temp than it is in to decrese it once you get really hot.

Once it's going well, maybe a saucer/dinner plate area burning well, close the lid, set the top to your desired setting and then, close the bottom vent to start controlling your air flow. Each egg is different, as conditions are different as well. You'll learn as you go.

Mine for example: half inch on the smokeware cap, and bottom open, screen all the way closed will give me a consistent 400 degrees every time. From there, you can work around your needs, using the bottom as your main source of temp control.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options

Or, you could just use cooking oil and paper towels. That works well too and is almost free,
    When ever I deep fry something and have old oil left, I keep it in a mason jar or jug for this reason. Makes it even closer to free once I've run a bunch of fish or chicken wings or what have you through it first. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    The cordless Looftlighter is reportedly due out before Father's Day. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    No ****? There's such a thing? I know what I'm asking for!
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,356
    Options
    There are as many "best" ways to light the EGG as there are meals you can cook on it. For me, I put the lump down and make a little hole for the fire starter. Light the starter with bottom vent completely open (with the screen closed). Wait until the starter is engulfed and add a few pieces of lump on top and around. Once I start to see the lump ash over I add whatever accessories I am using (platesetter/grid) and close the lid. Open daisy wheel  completely until I get about 25 degrees below what I want to cook at and then begin to close it down to dial in temp. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    I've had the same exact problems until I invested in a ten dollar hair dryer.  Right before closing the dome hit the base of your fire with the hair dryer for about 2-3 minutes and then close the dome.  You won't have any problems after that.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • THE DRU
    THE DRU Posts: 63
    Options
    EagleFan, There is only one thing you are doing wrong and yljkt answered it in the very first reply. 

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    See directly above thread--no new toys--. Next--get a bag of lump with no intention of cooking and load it right up to the bottom of the plate setter get a cube going in center and leave the bottom door open with no daisy wheel lid closed for say ten minutes. When thermometer hits 200. Shut the bottom vent down to 1/4inch. Put daisy wheel on with petals open. Then just watch the temp for an hour. When it stops moving open bottom door another 1/8 inch. Let sit an hour etc. you will start to see how a small change makes a huge difference. It's good if you have yard work or a car to micro detail. You can drink a lot of beverages watching an egg. Let it go all day. Just don't make any changes more than once every 30 minutes at least. I did this, took notes and a photo at each 50 degree, printed and put in a little flip book. Much easier to go back and "see" what I need for 400 than guessing. Adjust as necessary. Gets me pretty close every time. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    The amount your bottom vent is open will depend on your target temp. If you are smoking it won't need to be as open as it would on a steak or pizza cook.
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Used to be in the torch is overkill camp.  Now that I have one, realize how much of an idiot I was.  No more dealing with oil soaked paper towels and hands, and walking out to an unlit egg after 20 min.  I'm up to temp in a third of the time.  Incinerating weeds in seconds, brings great joy.  I used to get an old screwdriver and bucket.  We all get there in the end, some like the hard way.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Don't buy that basket til you figure out how to use what you got. Contrary to what some folks will tell you you DON'T NEED that basket. Have been Egging since 07 or so....and have yet to NEED it. Just taught my wife how to use her Egg...and there isn't a basket in it. 
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    They were demonstrating at this year's HPBA show and a local Egg dealer has said as much. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    Options
    Ya, you'll get to the point that you'll dial in a temp  like you do on your oven. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    My egg is more stable than my oven. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    What the crap! I just bought mine!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Reltserw said:
    FATC1TY said:
    What the crap! I just bought mine!
    If you have access to power, the corded model will likely be more reliable. Not sure, but is usually the case. For those without convenient power the cordless will be nice. 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    Paper towel with a bit of cooking oil lights it every time, I feel bad when I use Cherie's olive oil.  What I like about the egg is that it takes time to do a cook, if I wanted speed I would still be a propane griller.

Gerhard
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Starters are fine. Just leave the dome open longer before you close it down. It can be 10-15 minutes before you close. The higher the desired temp, the longer I let it go (open). 

Your bottom vest is the main temp control more so than the daisy wheel. Neither are ever fully closed when cooking. 
    Agree with this. Other methods are fine, but using a starter is not the problem here. Make sure the starter burns down and you have at least a small glow in the lump before you add platesetter, grate or whatever and close the lid and wait for it to come up to temp. The bottom vent should be your primary way to dial in temp.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    After I went through the starters, I tried many different ways to light my Egg, chimney, newspaper, and several others.  How I light my Egg these days is I take a paper towel, fold and roll it into what slightly resembles a lollipop with a bulb on one end, and a tail on the other.  I did the bulb into vegetable oil, light the bulb, and set it into the coal into an indentation I've made.  Once the towel-pop really catches fire (after a few seconds), then I lightly stack a few pieces of lump on top of it so they catch.  Keep the bottom vent wide open, and the lid open while I haul my coal back to the garage, put the veg oil back into the pantry, come back and make sure the lump is catching.  then while my top vents are wide open, bottom still wide open, close the lid.  I keep the vents open until the grid temp reaches about 150-160, then set the vents to where I want them for my cook.  A paper towel and a mason jar filled with veg oil for me seems to be consistent and cost effective. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    All was good until shutting the bottom vent completely. 

Im a Papertowel and oil lighter. I make a well in the lump, drop in a lit towel, and place a couple of pieces of lump over top of the burning towel. Tell Siri to set a timer for 5 minutes and walk away. Come back when the timer goes off and close the dome and choke down the bottom vent to about 1 inch. 

And i I get to use my grandfathers Zippo from WWII. 

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I'm a 91% alcohol guy myself. It's just the easiest I've found after trying many suggestions. Find what's right for you.  

I always leave top of egg open till it gets started ~5 minutes...then leave top vent 100%open and begin to dial-in bottom vent as egg reaches my desired temp.  Always catch it on the rise.....don't overshoot or it is difficult to bring back down and stabilize.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!