Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best thing you've ever cooked on a BGE?

So what's the single best thing you've ever cooked on a BGE? The thing all egg owners must try for themselves. Pics and recipes if possible please!

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    i feel bad posting this pic again today but these ribs

3 slabs of st louis style ribs covered with meat church honey hog rub. 5 hours at 225 and sprayed with apple juice every 15-20 mins for last 2 hours. they came out perfect!

paired them with some spicy coleslaw

and baked beans loosely based on this recipe added more bacon and bourbon and less peppers

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Mallmann's burnt tomato goat cheese bruschetta with anchovies, venison lasagna, and big Italian salad.  Washed down with a bunch of Pinot...

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I would have to say it was my last brisket. Odd as it may seem, it was also the one I have paid the least attention to. I carved off some hard fat, put it on at 225F and let her go for several hours. Checked on it 9 or so hours later, and it was ready. Best ever.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NonaScott
    NonaScott Posts: 446
    Mickey said:
    That's one of the prettiest porterhouses I've ever seen. Beautiful!
    Narcoossee, FL

LBGE, Nest, Mates, Plate Setter, Ash Tool. I'm a simple guy.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    @northgacock that looks great.  it reminds me of one of my favorite sort-of egged foods.  I smoked some chicken, and made stock from the carcass.  my wife made chicken tortilla soup with that stock and it was killer.  I think it was Rachel ray's recipe.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @TheToast that picanha looks great.  Where do you find it?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Kind of like picking a favorite kid, I can't do it.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    @SmokeyPitt It came from Smithfield Meat Market (I live in London and there's a guy who calls himself Marky Market who visits Smithfield and Billingsgate (London's two main trade markets - The former is meat, the latter is fish) and delivers to your door - he knows his stuff and gets amazing meat at trade prices). Picanha is popular in Brazil but this is Scottish Angus beef. It's about £15 (€21) a kilo and one easily feeds 4 or 5 people. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Everything!! However I really love BGE smokes chili 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    blind99 said:
    @northgacock that looks great.  it reminds me of one of my favorite sort-of egged foods.  I smoked some chicken, and made stock from the carcass.  my wife made chicken tortilla soup with that stock and it was killer.  I think it was Rachel ray's recipe.
    @blind99  We are on the same page. With the exception of homemade chicken noodle soup.....Chic Tortelia Soup is my absolut favorite. Utilizing what you have can make greatness. Thanks for sharring that. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    blind99 said:
    @blind99  We are on the same page. With the exception of homemade chicken noodle soup.....Chic Tortelia Soup is my absolut favorite. Utilizing what you have can make greatness. Thanks for sharring that. 
    I also made chicken noodle soup from 2 spacthcock chickens.  Gave it a great smokey flavor and it is dirt cheap to make when you use raw and whOle ingredients like that.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

I think turkey is still my favorite, and it's probably been my most consistent cook.

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Focker said:
    Mallmann's burnt tomato goat cheese bruschetta with anchovies, venison lasagna, and big Italian salad.  Washed down with a bunch of Pinot...

@Focker  Venison lasagna, please explain, looks great.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    stompbox said:
    blind99 said:
    I also made chicken noodle soup from 2 spacthcock chickens.  Gave it a great smokey flavor and it is dirt cheap to make when you use raw and whOle ingredients like that.
    Good stuff my friend. :)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Like most, here, I'd guess, it's hard to pick one favorite.  I don't always get my steaks perfect, but a really perfect steak is hard to beat.  There are several shrimp recipes I really love.  And a Korean chicken skewer recipe was wonderful.  But I haven't been able to cook on my Eggs for a while, now, and when I get back at it, what is #1 on my list to cook first is Bourbon Glazed Ribs from Smoke and Spice.  There are some pictures and a recipe on that link.  I have several BBQ sauces that I really love, and again it's hard to choose just one, but I think that sauce might be at the top of the list.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    stompbox said:
    blind99 said:
    Good stuff my friend. :)
    And people (at least people I know) are amazed when you tell them you made something like chicken soup from scratch! It's crazy how easy it is to be detached from our food. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Too hard to pick.  Beef, pork, lamb, venison, fish, shellfish, they're all winners on the egg.  Cannot pick one.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I can say that paella is my favorite meal on the egg - can't quite duplicate it any other way.

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • jbreed
    jbreed Posts: 98
    SciAggie said:
    I can say that paella is my favorite meal on the egg - can't quite duplicate it any other way.

you have a recipe for that one?  Just got a Paella pan that needs to get broken in!!!
    Castle Rock, CO - always a Husker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    jbreed said:
    SciAggie said:

you have a recipe for that one?  Just got a Paella pan that needs to get broken in!!!
    His Paella rocks!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @jbreed This is a good place to start: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm
    Paella is one of those cooks you will modify and make your own after a couple of iterations. Just jump in!
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Sammi said:
    Focker said:

@Focker  Venison lasagna, please explain, looks great.
    Ragu is the soffrito, roasted garlic, dried herbs, San Marzanos hand crushed, some water, S and P, and browned ground venison.  Slow simmer indirect on the egg in a DO for 6-8 hours until it thickens.  Dome is around 300-350.

Store bought lasagna noodles work, but there is no comparison to making your own.  I used Chef Marc Vetri's Egg Yolk Dough for the one posted.

A classic bechamel with a little nutmeg is a nice traditional touch, grated real stamped Parm, and grated whole milk mozzarella.

Basil chiffonade on top.

Egg the lasagna at 350 dome, covered in foil or with the lid for 30 min.  Pull foil or lid, and finish.   Which is usually another  30 min or so until the corners raise and brown.  Let rest until warm, slice, and serve.  Really dig the rustic flavor the egg provides here.  

There are too many to list.  Pizza, Kung Pao Chicken, Chili, Pepper Stout Beef, etc etc.  But I have contemplated changing our Thanksgiving Turkey tradition to lasagna this year.  I'm German and Swedish.  lol  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    @LDR That turkey looks great! Chicken has been my second best cook. Must try turkey. 

@Theophan I will definitely try those recipes. 

@SciAggie Love a paella and that looks good!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Mine just might be @The Cen-Tex Smoker 's chuckie barbacoa tacos with pickled onions.  Man I could go for a few of these right about now. 

• E-ville Egg
    E-ville Egg Posts: 100
    I cooked a summer ratatouille a couple years ago for my wife's family (4 vegetarians in the group).grilled about 5 loads of veggies (eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, brandywines, bell peppers, and garlic). I brushed the veggies with EVOO and seasoned with salt and pepper. Served over cavatapi. It was absolutely wonderful. All of the veggies were fresh from my garden and the pasta was made fresh at a local bakery. This dish has been a staple come harvest time. I've tried with store bought, while still good it doesn't compare to garden fresh.