Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The best thing you've ever cooked on a BGE?

Options

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    This Prime Rib

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    This Prime Rib

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Thinly sliced brisket, marinated in canola oil, rice vinegar, gochujong, grated garlic, and grated ginger.  Grilled direct over high heat, about a minute per side.  Served as a lettuce wrap on boston lettuce, with broccoli slaw, kim chi, and gochujong mayo.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Options

Father's day dinner last year
    Prime rib and garlic bread.
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    2" thick prime filets from Allen Brothers, I'm sad I have no food shots. :o  I did 4 of them, they came out an absolutely perfect med rare with a great sear, and literally no gray edge - seared outside and light pink/pink all the way through. The table went silent for the first couple of minutes as we all ate our first bites; my wife said she has never had a better steak anywhere. They were perfect.

LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    Options
    Mad Max Turkey for last year's Thanksgiving. Did it without a test run and nailed it. Huge hit with all 14 of our guests. To this day, I think it's the only thing that I've made that was "perfect"... but maybe I'm being hard on myself!
  • Trixie_Belle
    Options
    Too many to choose from!!  BUT, I think 12 pound boneless prime rib deserves mention.   It received rave reviews from the family!  

IMG_2548.JPG
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • fishindoc
    fishindoc Posts: 212
    Options
    I don't have pics handy that I know of,  and I know this may be a bit boring on here,  but I did a pork butt that I had injected with half apple and half peach juices and it was imo the best pork butt I'd ever had.  I think that one was Byron's butt rub..225 at many hours until bout 203 deg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    You posed the question "what is the best thing you ever cooked on your egg?". I had to really think about it as I have turned out some pretty good grub across the board on my egg. But if I were forced to narrow it down, it would be a real close race between the version of brisket I'm now doing and chargrilled oysters. 

If a gun was put to my head and I was forced to pick only one, it would have to be the oysters. I truly love them.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    SGH said:
    You posed the question "what is the best thing you ever cooked on your egg?"....  If a gun was put to my head and I was forced to pick only one, it would have to be the oysters. I truly love them.  
    I'm flabbergasted!  I like oysters, but it never would have occurred to me that a grilled oyster would be so good that somebody who has cooked a whole lotta wonderful stuff on the BGE would pick that as #1.  Holy Moly!  Looks like I might be missing out on something really good.

It looks like you put some other stuff on them, so they're not just grilled oysters.  What's the other stuff?  I might have to try it sometime!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    JRWhitee said:
    This Prime Rib

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    "They attract hippies and riff raff"'

Isn't that redundant?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "They attract hippies and riff raff"'

Isn't that redundant?
    In a sense, I guess that it kind of is. I was just trying to be sure that I covered all bases ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    Options
    Cool thing about the BGE is elevates the simplest cheapest cooks (like burgers or lasagna), but also supports the upper echelon stuff. 

My favorite "show off" cook is maybe beef wellington. 

My favorite "expensive but really easy" cook is probably prime rib (aged). 

But even simple burgers or kosher hot dogs, with a little smoke, are fantastic 

hard to pick
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    SGH said:
    ... in my humble opinion, good, fresh oysters chargrilled on the half shell in their on liquor stands at the top. I have a semi secret concoction of parsley flakes, bread crumbs, clarified butter, fresh grated Parmesan cheese and half and half cream that I use. They are truly outstanding. Be careful when cooking them though. They attract hippies and riff raff ;)
    I wasn't a hippie back in the 60s, but a hippie wannabe, I guess, but I'm pretty sure I qualified as riff raff, anyway.  Probably still do.  :)

Thanks for the info -- they sure looked and sound good!!!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Everything here looks so great... I'm really eyeing that Lasagna though!

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Id probably go with Brisket costco orime packer.  17 lb for tailgate in january.  It had smoke ring, bark amd was so tender and juicy incouldnt believe it
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    SGH said:
    You posed the question "what is the best thing you ever cooked on your egg?". I had to really think about it as I have turned out some pretty good grub across the board on my egg. But if I were forced to narrow it down, it would be a real close race between the version of brisket I'm now doing and chargrilled oysters. 

If a gun was put to my head and I was forced to pick only one, it would have to be the oysters. I truly love them.  
    I want to see some more pics of that brisket 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SGH
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I want to see some more pics of that brisket 
    I honestly didn't take but a few as this was a "test" brisket. But here they are. 

A medium trim job. 

A little sprinkle of Omaha, Omaha ;)

About 8 hours in. 

Pulled and wrapped it in paper when it hit the color you see below. 

Back on the BGE wrapped. 

Pulled and resting for a few hours on the counter. 

Unwrapped and breathing for a few minutes to settle in. 

And then, my humble offering to the Brisket Gods above. 

This was a test run that I did where I HEAVLY injected with reduced pickle juice and reduced beef marrow. This was by far the most juicy brisket that I have ever made. And save for SRF Gold Grade Wagyu, this was the best brisket that I have made to date. It is now my go to method. I have also did this with small flats with outstanding results thus far.  

Status- Standing by.

• bhedges1987
    Options
    @SGH incredible. I need to pick your brain on some brisket stuff sometime. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• SGH
    Options
    @SGH incredible. I need to pick your brain on some brisket stuff sometime. 
    Thank you. I will gladly and freely offer any help or advice that I can my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hot pockets
    Options
    it was a simple slider seasoned with Cowlick (very peppery) but the buns were large pumpkin gnocchi squashed into the shape of a bun then fried in butter & Pineapple Head (very sweet), may be the tastiest thing I ever ate egg or otherwise:

104jpg

094jpg

105jpg

the full recipe:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/970408/dizzy-pumpkin-sliders-happy-autumn/p1

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    hot pockets
    Damn I think Carey is on to something +1
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Flat Iron Steak from SRF for me.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    these ribeyes were damn tasty.....t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749