Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Ceramic? Guesses?

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    RRP said:
    leave it to me to bring this up - but did anybody else notice the woven rope like gasket they used in the dome side only that looks just like the one on most of our kitchen ovens? Wonder how much that replacement piece will set you back! OTOH if someone wants to shell out their asking price up front then so be it. 
    I noticed it.  Woven stainless steel.  Pretty nice.
    I'm guessing the lifespan of the gasket is likely as long as the lifespan of the grill itself.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2016
    RRP said:
    leave it to me to bring this up - but did anybody else notice the woven rope like gasket they used in the dome side only that looks just like the one on most of our kitchen ovens? Wonder how much that replacement piece will set you back! OTOH if someone wants to shell out their asking price up front then so be it. 
    Sorry, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that is not woven stainless steel. It is the very same woven gasket that is on my Whirlpool oven.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    RRP said:
    Sorry, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that is not woven stainless steel. It is the very same woven gasket that is on my Whirlpool oven.
    From a description "Air-insulated double walls and a braided stainless steel gasket seal in heat to keep you cooking for hours."
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mikee said:
    RRP said:
    From a description "Air-insulated double walls and a braided stainless steel gasket seal in heat to keep you cooking for hours."
    OK - thank you! I will be eating dollars or steel donuts.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    $1599, the same size cooking area as an XL, only runs for 10 hours on a load of fuel (my XL ran for over 50 hours at 250) and air as an "insulator".....sounds like a smoking set up, I just smashed all 4 of my Eggs so I could put them in trash cans and get rid of them....NOT!!!

"Biggest dome thermometer"....last I checked grate temperature is what is important....

Only way you ever see one of these things in my yard is if it was a gift....
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    I'm a little late to the party but this thing looks like a total POS regardless of the price point. To me, this contraption will only help the sales of Akorn grills. If I'm at Home Depot and there's an Akorn and "the grill of a lifetime" (I can't get over that line of sh!t lol) side by side, I don't see how any rational person could see paying $1200 more for the Weber product. 

Sounds like Weber must have designed this thing in Colorado. (Puff puff give) 
    Most of the average consumers will just recognize the name Weber and lean more towards the brand than they will Akorn.  It's a much smaller segment of the world that takes the time to educate themselves about products and different offerings out there than we realize or want to admit.  We know that the Akorn is basically the same at a better price point because we're into this stuff, Joe Public sees "The grill of a lifetime," by Weber and jumps all over it because Weber has built up a great brand recognition.  Case in point my neighbor last year asked me about gas grills, I gave him some recommendations (don't bother being most prominent but he insisted on gas) and I told him unless he was really going to get into grilling (he's just an occasional one at best) to stay with the Weber Spirit line or even go with a cheaper brand just to get something until he knew he was going to use it enough .  He went out and came home with a Summit gas grill because "it's the top of the line Weber," he never uses the thing.  Stupid but that's not uncommon.

Specifically on this grill, I think it would be a fine grill and actual BGE/Kamado competitor if they hadn't missed the price point so horribly.  If they were in the $700 - $1000 range for the 2 options I think they would be in direct competition.  Weber would definitely have the advantage too because they have built a great brand, put valuable free content out regularly, and support the customers in ways that BGE just lacks in or downright ignores.  

I've always thought that BGE has ignored the cult like following they have by not being more active in the community, on this forum, or just pumping out regular content at least once a week on their specific branded channels.  Instead they've chosen to rely on dealers and BGE owners to support the brand, it's worked to this point but has limited their reach and left them vulnerable to brands like Weber that have taken advantage of their following and provided extra value to the customers by building up social experiences, networks, and free valuable content.  

The only reason this grill isn't going to hurt BGE out of the box is that Weber missed on pricing similar to what GoPro did last year with the Hero Session camera.  Once they realize that, as long as they adjust the price (like GoPro did) to where it should be instead of killing the line, BGE and all other Kamado manufacturers will lose sales to this grill just due to the Weber brand and experience they've created.  And honestly BGE, Kamado Joe, and others have only themselves to blame for being restrictive to a dealer network and not having the foresight to see the benefit of getting out on Social media, YouTube, etc. to create hype and excitement around the brand by being active and providing some regular valuable free content for their customers.  I'm actually interested to see how Weber and BGE react to this new grill. 
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • I'm in Ontario Canada and at that price I'd rather just save for another year and by a komodo kamado or a stick burner. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    RRP said:
    Mikee said:
    RRP said:
    OK - thank you! I will be eating dollars or steel donuts.
    We'll call it even for the "Root Beer" ;)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm, like, super indignant about this company's new product.  How dare they design/price it as they did.  Almost like they've never heard of market research.  What an affront to decent people.  Harumph.
    Air is an excellent insulator because it's mostly space.  A down blanket is a good insulator because the air is held still among the annular space of the feathers. Same with styrofoam, polyester, polypropylene, etc... Blankets hold body heat by interrupting air flow. Air is a fluid and will flow if it can.

The air must remain still to be an effective insulator. I think Weber is counting on the heated air rising inside the air box, getting trapped and not effectively exchanging with cooler air through osmosis.

The most efficient aspect of my egg, and what impresses me the most about it, is the difference between the internal temperature and the surface temperature. That's how I would gauge the effectiveness of the insulation. When I'm smoking, dome temp at 220f, external temp is just warm to the touch - about 100f difference.

So fire up that Weber, and give me those infra red readings on the exterior and interior difference.

That's how I would compare lost heat, or more accurately, waste heat. Lump isn't free, if this thing costs 50% more and then burns lump at an accelerated rate to maintain the same temperature... it's a less efficient mousetrap.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• HeavyG
    I'm, like, super indignant about this company's new product.  How dare they design/price it as they did.  Almost like they've never heard of market research.  What an affront to decent people.  Harumph.
    Yeah...cuz market research is NEVER WRONG. Harrumph.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I'm sure those would throw in the back of a truck pretty easily - the three legged one anyway.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Legume said:
    I'm sure those would throw in the back of a truck pretty easily - the three legged one anyway.
    Hey, now! One leg and two wheels.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Harumph 
    I just wanted to type that..
    I've seen the videos,  but until I can do a hands on, No comment.

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    What kinda warranty does this grill of a lifetime have? 10 year like all the other Webers?
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    It has taken a beating on its Facebook page
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    fruitguy said:
    It has taken a beating on its Facebook page
    Killed!!!!!

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Grill of a lifetime? Its getting its ass handed to it on Facebook. $1500.00? I have an old Weber kettle that's been handy. Think I paid 30 bucks for it. Whatever. Good luck to them lol...
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I don't see it as taking the market by storm. Not at that price. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Weber deserves to get their ass handed to them for this overhyped, overpriced, piece of sh!t
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Powak
    Flame and heat under a hollow air tight steel lid - that seems like an explosion waiting to happen someday.
  • HeavyG
    Powak said:
    Flame and heat under a hollow air tight steel lid - that seems like an explosion waiting to happen someday.
    Something tells me that Weber's engineering staff is smart enough to design with that in mind.

The bottom shell is not sealed. The inner shell bottom is open just below the coal grate so hot air from the coals can enter the gap between the inner and outer shells. No chance of worries regarding expansion/contraction of heated air there.

The dome has an aluminum inner shell that appears to be fastened to the outer shell along its lower edge. I doubt those fasteners are hermetically sealed.

I've also never heard of Akorns or Steel Kegs blowing apart but who knows. 

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    yljkt said:
    Grill of a lifetime? Its getting its ass handed to it on Facebook. $1500.00? I have an old Weber kettle that's been handy. Think I paid 30 bucks for it. Whatever. Good luck to them lol...
    @yljkt - where did you see the FB bashing?  I went to the Weber page and there's nothing but love..(over-zealous mods doing some zotting of honest opinions maybe?)

Would love to see what others are saying because I...DON'T. GET. IT.  Seems like a terribly overpriced kettle.

Sticking with my Kamados for sure..think Weber really missed the boat on this one.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Powak

The dome has an aluminum inner shell that appears to be fastened to the outer shell along its lower edge. I doubt those fasteners are hermetically sealed.

I've also never heard of Akorns or Steel Kegs blowing apart but who knows. 
    Alright. That makes more sense. I thought the dome was two pieces of steel sealed together creating a hollow environment where it could oxidized and become a hazard. people have spoken highly of Akorns on here. Are they a go-to kamado for situations where moving an Egg is too tough like campin?
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    SmokyBear said:
    yljkt said:
    @yljkt - where did you see the FB bashing?  I went to the Weber page and there's nothing but love..(over-zealous mods doing some zotting of honest opinions maybe?)

Would love to see what others are saying because I...DON'T. GET. IT.  Seems like a terribly overpriced kettle.

Sticking with my Kamados for sure..think Weber really missed the boat on this one.
    Much Zotting has occured...for a few hours they got TRASHED. I can't wait for "Average Joe" to buy it, realize he needs lump, gets lump, fires it up and the friggen tin can goes nuclear. Seriously, how long before that happens? The biggest complaint will be "I wanted to do some wings but the grill got away from me and was 1100 degrees". I truly believe alot of folks who buy these things will be clueless on how to actually control the temps. Anyone else smell a deck fire? Ain't like gas where you turn off the tank. Just sayin'.     
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    this is marketing at its finest.  You can get a grill expansion ring and convert a weber kettle into a smoker.  they priced this in the range of kamado cookers but without the ceramic component
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    this is marketing at its finest.  You can get a grill expansion ring and convert a weber kettle into a smoker.  they priced this in the range of kamado cookers but without the ceramic component
    Or the lifetime warranty .... egg minus warranty = half price.  They missed that detail.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    edited April 2016
    Here's a video of a brisket/butt cook on the new Weber that I'm sure many will enjoy mocking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9HIIDd_SW0&feature=youtu.be

Wrapping a brisket in foil and not pink butcher paper - what an ignoramus! :)

• aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    I can't wait for "Average Joe" to buy it, realize he needs lump, gets lump, fires it up and the friggen tin can goes nuclear. Seriously, how long before that happens? The biggest complaint will be "I wanted to do some wings but the grill got away from me and was 1100 degrees". I truly believe alot of folks who buy these things will be clueless on how to actually control the temps. Anyone else smell a deck fire? Ain't like gas where you turn off the tank. Just sayin'.     
    Everything that they're putting out on this thing so far has been cooking with briquettes so I don't think they're going the lump route or promoting it heavily.  They've also put 3 built in settings for the bottom vent with pictures on there to make it easier for the Average Joe to dial it in.  If you're grilling put it on the grill logo, smoking smoke logo and the last one I think is kill the fire.  The only adjustment the user needs to dial in is the top vent to control temp after they set the bottom.  With that setup even with using lump they would just need to learn how much to close down the top vent to maintain temp.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA