Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Ceramic? Guesses?

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @Eggcelsior Lotta good your so-called "laws" are.  How do you explain the "feeding of 4000"?  How do you explain the "feeding of 5000"?  Conservation of mass is clearly violated, and people wrote about it so it must be true.  Hardly a law if it can be violated.  So much for theorems. 
    Options
    With air being such a great insulator guess I will just pull the glass batts out of my house...
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    With air being such a great insulator guess I will just pull the glass batts out of my house...
    lmao
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Hahaha. Nice. Guess what they are trapping?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options

Official Thread Hijack........you really need all 3, RB Air and Insulation to perform well to effectively reduce transfer Radiant , Convection and Conduction heat......everybody is correct

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    dougcrann said:
    Dead air is not a GREAT insulator but it is an insulator nonetheless. As I said dead air is as good an insulator as ceramic (except for some fancy very expensive types of ceramic like aerogel).

Fiberglass just helps keep the air "dead". The air inside the shells of this cooker will not be "dead" but it will serve well enough to meet their goal.

Will it be as stable as a kamado in all conditions? Probably not but it will probably keep temps in a narrow enough range that will work just fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    One inch of snow is R-1.  FYI
    Options
    One inch of snow is R-1.  FYI
    Really?  I expect more from you.  Snow density influences this value.

It should be, ~R-1.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    The new igloo line of smokers?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I heard they partnered up with RTIC.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    Options
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    You still have to put it together?!?!!?!?!?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Wonder if they are buying their air insulation at a volume discount?  They sure are proud of it.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2016
    Options
    The Summit Grilling Centre is filled with argon.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I'm a little late to the party but this thing looks like a total POS regardless of the price point. To me, this contraption will only help the sales of Akorn grills. If I'm at Home Depot and there's an Akorn and "the grill of a lifetime" (I can't get over that line of sh!t lol) side by side, I don't see how any rational person could see paying $1200 more for the Weber product. 

Sounds like Weber must have designed this thing in Colorado. (Puff puff give) 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Looking at it closer I like it.

Remove the ignition box and drop the price to $699 and I could see having one.

Edit: and increase warranty from 2-10 yrs to 25 year for all parts.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    No thanks!
    I'll pass on this one.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    That's IT?  "The Grill of a Lifetime?!!!"

'I'll pass.  ESPECIALLY at $1,500. 

I wouldn't buy this even if it was $500.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I owned a charbroil kamado prior to the egg, it was efficient at heating up fast and was stable, but it also dropped in temp as fast as it came up, where the eggs temp will drop but since the ceramic is saturated it recovers more efficiently in my opinion, I've not seen much discussion about saturation vs insulation. The charbroil is a great value for what it offers, this Webber on the other hand seems awfully pricey.

Im no insulation expert but isn't vacuumed air the key insulator on these stainless cups that everyone is toting these days?
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I was kind-of excited about what Weber would do; but the price doesn't make any sense. Here in Canada they are charging $2,000 for the base model ($2,500 for the one with the integrated steel table), which is more than a loaded LBGE, and a lot more than a KJ. What benefits could the SCG possibly bring that would make it worth spending more for this than for a ceramic grill? Looking at the example videos on Weber's site, they do not demonstrate any high heat indirect cooks, which makes me wonder about the ability of their diffuser to handle such a set up. Really disappointed.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
     Well, I like it. I would rather have one of those than the Weber kettle. But the price is out of hand. I think they made a big mistake guaging the modern marketplace. Paying $400 for a gas assist start kettle on a versatile cart with a decent assortment of accessories(Performer) is already pushing it.

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sounds like the general consensus is that this: one, should have had real insulation (i.e. Kaowool) and second, is worth $500-$700. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    leave it to me to bring this up - but did anybody else notice the woven rope like gasket they used in the dome side only that looks just like the one on most of our kitchen ovens? Wonder how much that replacement piece will set you back! OTOH if someone wants to shell out their asking price up front then so be it. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I was furniture shopping tonight at Nebraska Furniture Mart (near Dallas) and theyhad the new Weber. The thing is the size of an XL but not very heavy. Gave it a wrap with my knuckle and it sounded kinda hollow. Expensive not doubt. 
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    RRP said:
    leave it to me to bring this up - but did anybody else notice the woven rope like gasket they used in the dome side only that looks just like the one on most of our kitchen ovens? Wonder how much that replacement piece will set you back! OTOH if someone wants to shell out their asking price up front then so be it. 
    I noticed it.  Woven stainless steel.  Pretty nice.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    $2000, they're smoking crack. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    I just sold my MBGE for $575+accessories ..picked up a new large for $591 from my company. No way would I give the summit a 10th thought.