Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weber Ceramic? Guesses?

Options

Comments

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Wtf?
    A short 18 sec video of smoke clearing?
    Nothing but what it looks like?
    The hype for what?
    Didn't show me anything.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bgeaddikt
    bgeaddikt Posts: 503
    Options
    Is it the Summit model?
    Austin, Tx
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Thanks @Griffin
    You would've thought they would've directed you there in the video
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    Options
    I highly doubt they'll be offering this for anywhere over $650 without the table, regardless of what was being said before. The inherent value just isnt there.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Their home page says,"Kamado Performance Meets Weber Tradition" http://www.firecraft.com/weber-summit-charcoal-grill-18301001
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Yup-firecraft has it listed for $1500 but free shipping...I think I will see how the market responds.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    Oh. I'm putting my XL & mini on Craig's list right this minute. /s :s
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    The damper is really cool. Other than that... Meh

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

After watching the video, I noticed a few things that looked off to me. the diffuser especially. they have finger holes to lift up to add more charcoal. that thing will be hot! how can you use your finger to lift it.

Too many nooks and crannies to have juices get into and make a mess on it too IMHO.

Very underwhelming as stated above. time will tell on how it performs, but looking at it is looks cheesy and cheap.

Now the Egg standing alone or in a table looks like a force to be reckoned with

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I wonder if you can use the gas assist like a gas oven. could be useful at times I guess.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    wow...a bunch of sh!tty pressed metal parts and "air insulated" for $1500. What a joke.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stompbox
    stompbox Posts: 729
    edited April 2016
    Options
    hondabbq said:

After watching the video, I noticed a few things that looked off to me. the diffuser especially. they have finger holes to lift up to add more charcoal. that thing will be hot! how can you use your finger to lift it.

Too many nooks and crannies to have juices get into and make a mess on it too IMHO.

Very underwhelming as stated above. time will tell on how it performs, but looking at it is looks cheesy and cheap.

No differently than removing a plate setter, actually, it would be easier since you will not have to hold it hot while transporting it to a table.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm guessing they don't have a lifetime warranty either. You could buy 2 larges in nests with platesetters at a fest for the cost of one of these POS.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Isn't "Air Insulated" and nice way of say hollow?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It's certainly interesting. I like the top vent. I like the gasket arrangement and the shape of the dome/base surfaces which should help prevent any hing/alignment issues. I like that the diffuser plate has hinged sections as does the top grate - should make adding fuel pretty easy. The gas assist system is kinda neat.

I like the gourmet grate system. I upgraded to that on my 22" kettle a few years ago. I like the removable center section - makes it easy to hold a wok. Bonus - that center cast iron section just happens to fit just right on the top of the fire ring on my KJ Jr and makes for a good way to sear very close to the coals.

Is the insulation really just an air gap? They say the inner shell is aluminum but what about the outer shell - is it just the normal kettle porcelainize steel (which will rust once it inevitably gets chipped) or is it also aluminum?

All in all interesting but the price tag is a few hundred to high. We'll just have to wait and see what sort of street price these actually end up with a few months down the road.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Not a lot of love on TVWBB web site this morning about the price of this double walled tin can!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    It looks nice, i am a fan of weber products as i owned a summit gold D gasser, three weber kettles and a smoky joe.  All served me well.    My biggest complaint with any metal grill was the difficulty of keeping the under the grid areas clean, especially on the gasser.   The lower box got caked up with crud that was impossible to clean.   This new summit looks like it wont have that problem as much

Also on all my weber kettles, the tripod setup always seemed unstable after a few months of use

After experiencing the no questions asked warranty on bge ceramics, and the heat retention and temp control with the ceramics, well i am a big green egg devotee from now on

Nothing wrong with weber, it looks nice but for the money, a lg bge with accessories would be my choice
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would probably be driving around trying to find one of they were about the same price as a large. I would say about $700 tops would be my price point.
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    stompbox said:
    hondabbq said:

No differently than removing a plate setter, actually, it would be easier since you will not have to hold it hot while transporting it to a table.

I agree, but with the platesetter there is no reference or indication of finger holes to do the lifting. Here it is generalized that the cutout is for lifting it to add fuel.

Now add a glove to your hand, is the cutout large enough to fit your fingered glove? Can you say coat hanger?

• bhedges1987
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    stompbox said:
    hondabbq said:

I agree, but with the platesetter there is no reference or indication of finger holes to do the lifting. Here it is generalized that the cutout is for lifting it to add fuel.

Now add a glove to your hand, is the cutout large enough to fit your fingered glove? Can you say coat hanger?

Why would you need to add more coal anyways?  It must be because it looks like there is not much room between the diffuser and fire grate. 8-10 hours , isn't that what they said it can last for? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So with the diffuser you still have to lift the cooking grid separately correct?
    I like my Woo for the BGE Large. Grid and platesetter/R&B stone all at once in 2 seconds. Simple and quick. And easy to rotate if need be.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bhedges1987
    Options
    Hotch said:
    So with the diffuser you still have to lift the cooking grid separately correct?
    I like my Woo for the BGE Large. Grid and platesetter/R&B stone all at once in 2 seconds. Simple and quick. And easy to rotate if need be.
    Totally agree. Also no need to add lump on a large egg... What would you be cooking that would take over 18 hours

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Hotch said:
    The main cooking grate also has flip up sections on each side. You should be able to leave your meat in place and flip up the top wing and then reach down with som tongs and flip up the differ wing and add some coals. Theoretically anyway.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Running water less with the Piedmont pan in WSM, I can easily go at least 14hrs or more depending on weather.  You aren't using it right if all you can get is a 6 hr burn time, that's crazy.

With a WSM, a kettle, a few firebricks, charcoal baskets, and snaked fires, you can do everything this grill can do.  

A new Performer is 400, I would honestly put this in the 600-800 range.  Weber needs to put down the crack pipe......"air insulated" lmao
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."