Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hear ye Mortals....incredible scientific discovery on gravitational waves. Massively weigh in here.

Options
http://www.wired.com/2016/02/using-gravitational-waves-to-pinpoint-colliding-black-holes/

The elusive predictive gravitational wave has been discovered, er, detected...more than once!  (insert excitement emoticon!!!)  And finally.  And it's not a margarita in Malibu.  One step closer to flying cars.  Or observing them from a billion years ago.

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    I'm one of the guys that have been freaking out about this all day.

Not only because it definitively confirms an amazing amount of scientific theory over the past century, but also because it gives me an excuse to give my wife when she asks how much weight I've put on recently. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    I asked a colleague about this today over lunch.
    We both decided it is time to refurbish the flux capacitors so that we can be ready the next time a couple of collapsing stars decide to rumba. 
    You can only imagine how depressed we had become, knowing that we missed the last time bending, gravitational wave event by 1.3 billion years, or did we?
    Given the age of earth, one would like to correlate such a powerful event's impact, if any, to our galaxy, solar system and planet, other than say, chirps on a graph. Interpretation and translation are wonderful tools, but in the wrong hands, Chaos!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

77% of GOPers think it's all a hoax.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2016
    Options
    NM
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is a fun piece on the discovery and what it means, in lay terms.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    It was caused by global warming... Caused by deniers. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,636
    Options
    "Keep an eye on social media today, it should be a ruckus."

I'm glad to be part of the ruckus.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    This is a fun piece on the discovery and what it means, in lay terms.

please do not use the word 'lay' in mixed company

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    i agree jeepster, except i think he cultivated that mind. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh, I agree that he cultivated it ... but, all the nurturing in the world would not nudge my brain even close to his level of insight. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,793
    Options
    Is this going to affect the cook time on my briskets?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    The discovery itself?  No.  Gravitational waves in general?  Yes.  Just be sure to cook it before the merge of another set of black holes, and you should be fine.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    The discovery itself?  No.  Gravitational waves in general?  Yes.  Just be sure to cook it before the merge of another set of black holes, and you should be fine.
    Thank You! I'll look for future updates to plan my cooks
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lkapigian said:

practically, no.  technically, yes.  it shortens it due to energy added into the system (viz: your BGE) by the grav-waves

but because it has been happening all along, you won't notice.  but if you
    measured the impact, you would see that it had been making a difference all along, though infinitesimal.

it used to be thought that gravity waves, when passing through an object, rarify and compress  individuals atoms relative to each other, generating heat, just as when bending a spoon back and forth.

but this is incorrect.

actually, gravity waves remove energy from the thing casuing them, and transfer it to receivers.  in this case, your brisket would be a receiver.  lemme paint a word picture...

say you have two equally massive objects in orbit around their center of gravity. as they rotate and pull back from each other, they feel a delay in the   gravitational force that existed when they were closer together and the force was stronger. got it?

because of this, they lose some kinetic energy, and gravitational energy.

now let's say they come back into their orbits. as they approach each other, the time-delayed force is weak, so they gain less mechanical energy (from pairing up) than is to be expected under newtonian theory. [EDIT for clarity: newtonian conservation says they should get it back, but our observations show they don't.  so we conjectured that it was lost as waves, just as it islost when you boradcast a radio signal]

so what happens is, each cycle, mechancal energy is lost. this energy is carried by the waves the same friggin way that radio waves carry the energy that a transmitting antenna loses

but the big deal is, not only do the waves remove energy from a system, they further deposit that frigging energy in a detector (or a receiver, like a dampened mass, or even your brisket), even if it is a bajillion miles away. {EDIT: although these would receive the enrgy, it's so tiny as to be missed.  which is why right now the only receiver that has worked (ie.e "the discovery") is a two-plus mile long laser being deflected impossibly over that two miles minutely by the waves]

this was part of the whole sticky bead argument first tossed out there by tough-guy Feynman in 1957 (to a virtual blank stare), but which was later popularized by Bondi, who didn't exactly take all the credit, but didn't exactly pooh-pooh it either.

to sum up:  yes, in short, energy is transferred to your brisket, theoretically shortening cooking time.  but since this has always been the case, it will have no 'affect' on your perception of future cooks.  just as the discovery of oxygen and its role in combustion had no affect on cook times for foods after the moment when oxygen was isolated and 'discovered'

[ :) thanks and a "back atcha", Ben Cromwell]

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

space-time continuum, LIGO.... too much mumbo jumbo.  I'm getting in my tardis and i'll go check it out.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was reading up on this at scientificamerican.com and found this:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/australia-cuts-110-climate-scientist-jobs/

Options
    GOP scrambling to figure out if these waves kill jobs and therefore deny their existence....
    It's funny to think about Einstein walking around his house and saying "friggin energy!" to himself.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    GOP scrambling to figure out if these waves kill jobs and therefore deny their existence....
    I think their play is to complain about the cost of LIGO to discover waves, when if you want to see waves - you can just go to the ocean.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Stephen Hawking is exuberant, as shown here.

edited February 2016
    Options
    "verdammt Energie!"

• lkapigian
    Options
    Stephen Hawking is exuberant, as shown here.

Ha!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I think their play is to complain about the cost of LIGO to discover waves, when if you want to see waves - you can just go to the ocean.
    Or...."why on earth should we pay attention to that we cannot see?  Now excuse me while I go to church."
    Oh boy.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    oddly, dismissing the climate scientists who are no longer needed will increase the percentage of those non-believing scientists versus those who do believe.

this will reverberate back and forth, as the ratio of non-believing scientists rises (due to shedding those in agreement with science), it will eventually necessitate their rehiring until the superior ratio is reestablished.  whereupon there will again no longer be a need for climatologists, and they will be let go again.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    That was an attempt at humorous irony John.   I apologize.  And I apologize to the entire Canadian tribe for my previous joke about apologizing.
    stop posting! you hit an even 18000!  keep the zeroes, man.

like taking a pic of your odometer at 100,000