Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hear ye Mortals....incredible scientific discovery on gravitational waves. Massively weigh in here.

Options
124»

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    John... Liberals usually don't ask questions either.... Few do. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Botch said:
    A lab tech in Ohio fell into a cryogenic tank and wasn't found for hours.

He's 0K now.  
    Cool as you can get, bro...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    science is pretty cool I guess
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,481
    Options
    Damn-an  early Friday strike.  But at least on a sinking sentence so far.  But the buffalo is close-at-hand.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Already sinking. WTH
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    SGH said:
    nolaegghead said:
      America was formed so people can follow their individual beliefs, free from government oppression (Church of England, etc). 
    There is some truth in that, but it goes much deeper than the "Freedom of Religion" basis. I find it ironic that the original settlers founded this country on the belief in the God of Abraham. The true Christian God. Not a stupid made up muslim God named mohammed or alla. If they were trying to escape Christianity as suggested, why then did they establish that very religion if they were trying so desperately to escape it? The answer is simple. It was never about turning away from the true Christian God. Plain and simple.  
    Ahhh yes...the "ONE TRUE GOD". The problem that has plaqued homo sapiens for millennia.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,481
    edited February 2016
    Options
    nm.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Here is the thing, and it is simply this; Science of laws, structured or natura,l is not about finding God. I think that is theology. That being said, it is a direction many choose to follow and learn. That is cool, as I am not judgmental.  I do find it odd that the most judgmental people I have known are zealots based on faith. You know the whole "judge not lest ye be judged" type of thing. Whatever.
    I have yet to be required to give an answer to anyone, regarding chemistry, physics, geology, geophysics or engineering, of which the results were because of God. I have been taught to use science as a means to identify where we are, and identify the needs for the better of mankind. Through research and a systematic approach of experimentation, to identify the path, in order to get there. I use the library, a computer and a lab. So far, at least it seams, we have been able to make a positive impact.
    People may have been praying on my behalf, but I would like to think my humble contributions for a cleaner environment, improved stability of chemicals, safer air travel, healthier people, better protection for our soldiers and first responders came from sweat, and hours sacrificed to make these things happen.
    Either way you choose to look at it, is cool with me. Just don't tell me Allah, Jesus, God or whatever deity of the day is responsible. Ultimately, right or wrong, we are responsible for our actions.
    If faith is your thing, I have zero problem with the way you think, nor will I question it. All I ask is you don't judge me for the way I, or others like me, think and live.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    A test for buffalo.....

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,512
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    SGH said:
    nolaegghead said:
      America was formed so people can follow their individual beliefs, free from government oppression (Church of England, etc). 
    There is some truth in that, but it goes much deeper than the "Freedom of Religion" basis. I find it ironic that the original settlers founded this country on the belief in the God of Abraham. The true Christian God. Not a stupid made up muslim God named mohammed or alla. If they were trying to escape Christianity as suggested, why then did they establish that very religion if they were trying so desperately to escape it? The answer is simple. It was never about turning away from the true Christian God. Plain and simple.  
    Ahhh yes...the "ONE TRUE GOD". The problem that has plaqued homo sapiens for millennia.
    This is kinda where things changed, for me.  Two things happened:  I moved to utard where, for the first time in my life, I was a christian minority; and two, on 9-11, 19 muslims killed 3,000 people and changed the world, believing in their god.  

I finally realized that, had I been born to parents in Tel Aviv, I would be taught and know in my heart that Yaweh was the One True God and the Torah was His Word.
    And, had I been born to parents in Tehran, I would be taught and know in my heart that Allah was the One True God and the Koran was His Word.
    But, I was born to parents in Minnesota, and was taught and knew in my heart that Jesus was the One True God and the Bible was His Word.  

I began a couple years of researching "outside the box", and realized all gods are based on faith, none on proof.  I'm pretty much agnostic now, and its taken a few years to get here (for me).
    FWIW.    

Hello Darkness, my old Friend,

I stood up too fast again...

• NPHuskerFL
    edited February 2016
    Options
    The Buffalo has struck!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    henapple said:
    John... Liberals usually don't ask questions either.... Few do. 
    I question things all the time Tony.  For example, I ask myself "Why am I still reading this thread?"
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    bhedges1987 said: "If anything it would side in the favor of an afterlife since it proves that time can indeed be infinite."

sorry, i confused your use of the word "afterlife" with "heaven".  i don't know how that happened.  maybe the part where everyone else seems to use those words synonymously.

you'll notice though, i didn't use quotes.

you used quotes for a statement you said was by Tyson re creationism.  the guy has never once supported creationism, nor even implied it had any remote validity

he never said it.

perhaps you saw it in a facebook post or a forwarded out-of-context email. 

but your quote does not exist in the wild. 

you give me grief for paraphrasing you (substituting one word for its synonym), while you feel no qualms about completely making up a quote and attributing it to someone with a known opinion exactly opposite what you 'quoted'

this is on par though with people who deny science or like to pick and choose from it whenever it fits their beliefs.  they tend to manufacture evidence, and dismiss real evidence proposed by others.

this diminishes the credit we can give their argument, but they don't seem to comprehend that, unfortunately.

Again.... are you just not comprehending what I am saying?  Did I say Neil Tyson believes in creationism, or are you again making up your own theories? I never said that, as I know for a fact he doesn't.  His point I will tell you again.  Everyone was trying to use the Higgs as a way to disprove some peoples religious beliefs, and that in no way was what the discovery was about, nor is the discovery of gravitational waves. His point was this has absolutely nothing to do with it, BUT if it did, it honestly would give creationists a more compelling argument. Again, he is NOT saying he believes it.  I am not sure what is so hard to comprehend about this. 

I have not stated my beliefs either way, but you and a few others here are claiming I need to pick up a book rather than the bible (though I have given no evidence to show that is what I read.)  For you liberals who can't comprehend and like to bend and twist words to fit your agenda.  It's a free country, as long as everyone thinks as you do right?

I hate to go here but.... As for you telling me to pick up a book.... Perhaps you should pick up a grammar book.  Nothing is more infuriating as someone who is illiterate. 

P.S Science is awesome 

Darby_Crenshaw: Teaching you internet astrophysics since February 11th, 2016.
    Listen buddy, I'm not sure if you are a stable person or not and I don't want to infuriate you more than you seem to be right now.   Here's the "but":

It's all fun and games, and I think key to a healthy society to have civil discussions, until someone breaks the rules of civility.

I respect your opinions as you should respect others.   I know you don't like atheists, gays, liberals from your other posts.  I respect that.  You have the right to like or hate or bash whoever you want.  Dig?

That said, two points of contention that might help you out:

1. Inventing a completely false quote and attributing it to a highly respected member of the community, then covering that up with all the garbage you wrote above (honestly, I don't understand any of it) is disingenuous, and an outright lie.  You probably also broke the 9th commandment on that one, my friend. 

2. Complaining about people's grammar (mine is terrible) on a forum is bad enough, but then calling them illiterate is worse because being illiterate is a terrible thing - not being able to read or write.   That's typical of your characterizations of all your arguments, as well as point 1 above.

In summary, I'm not checking off the box that says "reliable source" when I read anything of yours now.  Not a great way to win a debate either, if that's your goal.

Have a great weekend and thanks for being a forum member!!! 
    Options
    bhedges1987 said: "If anything it would side in the favor of an afterlife since it proves that time can indeed be infinite."

sorry, i confused your use of the word "afterlife" with "heaven".  i don't know how that happened.  maybe the part where everyone else seems to use those words synonymously.

you used quotes for a statement you said was by Tyson re creationism.  the guy has never once supported creationism, nor even implied it had any remote validity

he never said it.

you give me grief for paraphrasing you (substituting one word for its synonym), while you feel no qualms about completely making up a quote and attributing it to someone with a known opinion exactly opposite what you 'quoted'

this is on par though with people who deny science or like to pick and choose from it whenever it fits their beliefs.  they tend to manufacture evidence, and dismiss real evidence proposed by others.

this diminishes the credit we can give their argument, but they don't seem to comprehend that, unfortunately.

Again.... are you just not comprehending what I am saying?  Did I say Neil Tyson believes in creationism, or are you again making up your own theories? I never said that, as I know for a fact he doesn't.  His point I will tell you again.  Everyone was trying to use the Higgs as a way to disprove some peoples religious beliefs, and that in no way was what the discovery was about, nor is the discovery of gravitational waves. His point was this has absolutely nothing to do with it, BUT if it did, it honestly would give creationists a more compelling argument. Again, he is NOT saying he believes it.  I am not sure what is so hard to comprehend about this. 

I have not stated my beliefs either way, but you and a few others here are claiming I need to pick up a book rather than the bible (though I have given no evidence to show that is what I read.)  For you liberals who can't comprehend and like to bend and twist words to fit your agenda.  It's a free country, as long as everyone thinks as you do right?

I hate to go here but.... As for you telling me to pick up a book.... Perhaps you should pick up a grammar book.  Nothing is more infuriating as someone who is illiterate. 

P.S Science is awesome 

Listen buddy, I'm not sure if you are a stable person or not and I don't want to infuriate you more than you seem to be right now.   Here's the "but":

It's all fun and games, and I think key to a healthy society to have civil discussions, until someone breaks the rules of civility.

I respect your opinions as you should respect others.   I know you don't like atheists, gays, liberals from your other posts.  I respect that.  You have the right to like or hate or bash whoever you want.  Dig?

1. Inventing a completely false quote and attributing it to a highly respected member of the community, then covering that up with all the garbage you wrote above (honestly, I don't understand any of it) is disingenuous, and an outright lie.  You probably also broke the 9th commandment on that one, my friend. 

2. Complaining about people's grammar (mine is terrible) on a forum is bad enough, but then calling them illiterate is worse because being illiterate is a terrible thing - not being able to read or write.   That's typical of your characterizations of all your arguments, as well as point 1 above.

In summary, I'm not checking off the box that says "reliable source" when I read anything of yours now.  Not a great way to win a debate either, if that's your goal.

Ah so just because I made a joke about atheists, gays and liberals means I don't like them? There you go again with your assumptions. I thought that was a "joke" thread? I'll quote you now " it's all fun and games." Typical left wing supporter, do as I say, not as I do? 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• nolaegghead
    Options
    well, it can look complicated when you delve into the first time, but if it is something you have been following for years, it's not all that bad.

trick is not to draw conclusions yourself, because there are scientists and theoreticians way out ahead of us.  that was your mistake.  you inferred something from minimal information (viz: that a press conference about gravitational waves being discovered = proof of lack of existence of time in a black hole = proof of infinite time= proof of heaven = validation/confirmation of personal religious beliefs).

i'm just repeating the current consensus position.

i don't pretend to be at the forefront.

but you go, man.  extrapolate as you wish (and at your peril)
    No, I am just trying to put to rest that this has absolutely nothing to do with religion. People here are posting as if this disproves what some may believe when this in fact has nothing to do with religion. Every single discovery there is some left-wing nut who claims it disproves everything the GOP says or believes( classifying them all the same, such as Nola here does) Same with the Higgs discovery. As Neil Tyson said " People are trying to use this as a way to put creationism to rest, but oddly enough, looking at it from our perspective, this favors in the side of creationism,  however this is merely just the first step is discovering the unknown." Source: one of his many interviews.
    Just in case anyone is still reading this buried thread, to put the issue in context, this person completely fabricated this quote (bold, italics above).  Then denied doing it.  Pathological, really.

I see plenty of exaggeration, satire, sarcasm, quoting of inaccurate or fabricated by third party information (chain mails or other web garbage), but this is the first time I've seen someone do this on this forum.  This scares me more than anything.
    edited February 2016
    Options

he never said it.

P.S Science is awesome 

Ah so just because I made a joke about atheists, gays and liberals means I don't like them? There you go again with your assumptions. I thought that was a "joke" thread? I'll quote you now " it's all fun and games." Typical left wing supporter, do as I say, not as I do? 
    Yep.  Pretty much.  You dog "liberals" all over this thread, then lump them in with gays and atheists, now try to pretend it was just good natured joking.  Don't insult my intelligence.  Not asking you to do anything but be honest.  And I'm just a supporter of the truth, not the "left wing" as you say.  I'm a registered republican actually.  You're running through your stereotype talking points like an indoctrinated robot.  I see this all the time.  Sad, really, where you don't have any independent thought, conditioned just to regurgitate what you've been trained to.  This isn't really your fault, being there, but it's on you to be fair.
    Options

Yep.  Pretty much.  You dog "liberals" all over this thread, then lump them in with gays and atheists, now try to pretend it was just good natured joking.  Don't insult my intelligence.  Not asking you to do anything but be honest.  And I'm just a supporter of the truth, not the "left wing" as you say.  I'm a registered republican actually.  You're running through your stereotype talking points like an indoctrinated robot.  I see this all the time.  Sad, really, where you don't have any independent thought, conditioned just to regurgitate what you've been trained to.  This isn't really your fault, being there, but it's on you to be fair.
    Sounds about like what you have been doing the past two days to the GOP and Religious people eh??? Dog on GOP and Religion, then pretend it was all fun.  Jesus man, you are 100% hypocrite.  Do you honestly think before you write?

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• nolaegghead
    Options
    That's what everyone does if you haven't noticed, on both sides.  Doesn't bother me at all. What they don't do is make up blatant lies.  That's where you stand out. 
    Options

Sounds about like what you have been doing the past two days to the GOP and Religious people eh??? Dog on GOP and Religion, then pretend it was all fun.  Jesus man, you are 100% hypocrite.  Do you honestly think before you write?
    I think before I write.  If you do, then I question this:  What is the degree of irony with you saying all that about me after writing a fake quote from niel degrasse tyson, then escalating people's grammatical errors to calling them "illiterate", then calling me "100% hypocrite" (is that measured in percent?).  Love it man. 

I'm not doing anything that isn't done, usually first, by people who bust balls politically.  Healthy discussion.  And I've been called worse by angry people.  I post more neutral source data than anyone here to support my assertions, it's usually met by ugly meme pictures of politicians or exactly what you're doing - factless, ad hominem bs.  What I'd like to see is a fact, data-driven discussion.  Obviously I'm not going to get that from you.

Options
    WOW dude... You have your panties all up in a wad.  You should cry some more.

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

• nolaegghead
    Options
    LOL!!!
    Options
    WOW dude... You have your panties all up in a wad.  You should cry some more.
    Dude, what the hell is this?
    If your counter, has devolved to a statement of middle school eloquence, as represented above, it is time to shut it down. 
    I can't believe I read this, further, I can't believe I was compelled to post this.
    This was 3 minutes I will never get back.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

What is most entertaining is that the young man has yet to realize that he is getting his head handed to him.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,360
    Options
    That Einstein fellow, he knew stuff.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options

he never said it.

P.S Science is awesome 

Hodges. **** since birth

(you say you never mentioned heaven. When did i mentione the bible?

as for grammar...  I don't worry about it here. But it sets me apart from the competition in the real world. Business

you know. Where we republicans live. Those of us whonpay more taxes than those pukey libs

don't assume you know me. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited February 2016
    Options
    still waiting on my grammar correction. Because we all know a grammar error negates one's entire argument

Funny thing is whenever someone on this forum has corrected grammar, they get **** slapped for being "one of those guys"

i are goodly at engrish, fwiw. 

Just not here. It's not like a grill forum is as important as a business proposal. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bhedges1987 said: . . .
    Darby_Crenshaw said:  . . . 

. . .

Hodges. Idiot since birth

I must disagree, dear Darby.  You have absolutely no proof that Hedges' idiocy is innate.  
    As Neil Tyson said, "All nature is local unless it's nurtured."  

Look it up.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I like cooking on my BGE

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg