Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Appetizer That You Will Ever Eat.

Options

Comments

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    Ok had to make some in the fly adjustments. Only had half pound each of hot and mild deer sausage. Also used red bell pepper and sweet onion that was on hand. Wow! This turned out great. Will try the full recipe next time and call it "the SGH". 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    mgillia said:
    SGH, no tater tot recipe?  Thought you were going to share brother?
    Check out the home page my friend. It has been posted. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Ok...  Here is my attempt. I will let you know how it comes out.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    As promised, it was awesome. 
    Edina, MN

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Ok here is the final results
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • SGH
    Options
    @Gamecockeggman @Budgeezer
    Looks awesome fellows. Hope that y'all enjoy it as much as I do. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    jonnymack said:
    Will try the full recipe next time and call it "the SGH". 
    I like that brother  =)

Status- Standing by.

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Gamecockeggman @Budgeezer
    Looks awesome fellows. Hope that y'all enjoy it as much as I do. 
    OMG...  Everyone loves it!!!!  Definitely will do it again.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options
    @SGH tried to like your comment and may have flagged it in error.   My apologies. 
    Edina, MN

• SGH
    Options
    Budgeezer said:
    @SGH tried to like your comment and may have flagged it in error.   My apologies. 
    No worries at all brother. But thanks for clarifying my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I got sidetracked and let mine overcook a little bit but it still came out good. Reminds me of sausage balls we have at Christmas. Mine may have been a touch salty but I've eaten nearly half of it myself. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist
    When you get a chance, try the recipe as is once as a comparison. The beauty of the original recipe is that you do not have to add salt or anything. It's already seasoned for you. The ideal pull temp is 160 internal. Glad that you enjoyed it my friend.  

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well honestly I tried it with homemade sausage cuz I have a TON and we are trying to eat up lots of stuff in the freezer as I have another batch of summer sausage coming next week and a cow to have butchered in the spring. Its hard to justify buying any meat at the store since every time I open my freezer stuff falls out. I didnt add any additional salt, I just think my homemade ground sausage is highly seasoned. Like I said, it came out good but I overshot my temp when I got busy working on something. I'll try again. The tater tot recipe is next, though. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    Well honestly I tried it with homemade sausage 
    I did something similar last week. I used 1 pound of wild Russian boar in place of the Jimmy Dean original. It turned out very good. The Jimmy Dean Hot is seasoned about perfect and will work pretty good with just about anything. As such, when I make the SL I always use the JD Hot even if I skimp or substitute the original. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well like I said I've eaten half of it today myself. I just cut two slices and made a sandwich and now I'm figuring I'll be making another SL sooner rather than later. Like a meatloaf sandwich on steroids. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    Well like I said I've eaten half of it today myself. 
    Only half? I'm hurt my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    This is good grub!  The bonus nobody has mentioned, are the meat cookies!  More on those later...

I followed the recipe, placed a meatloaf sized loaf in an appropriate pan and it took about 2 hours.  When done, I poured off the grease, sliced and enjoyed.   Really good stuff.  I was surprised it doesn't just taste like a loaf of sausage.  And yes, it would be awesome with a pile of eggs next to it! 

Thanks, @SGH!

PICS - Before, Halfway, Complete

Now, when I removed it from the pan I was left with some stickage on the sides of the pan and the bottom (it did stick to the bottom a bit).  When removed those dark cheesey sausagey crunchy morsels were delicious meat cookies!  :lol:  Fantastic.  I think they were my favorite part.  Must be awful for you but still...
    LBGE/Maryland
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Looks great!  But I don't think you're supposed to pour off the grease -- it's part of the awesome flavor.

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    mgillia said:
    Looks great!  But I don't think you're supposed to pour off the grease -- it's part of the awesome flavor.
    :lol: It cooked in the grease.  I was pure in that regard.  When it was done...before slicing, that's when I poured out the fat.  I was not going to eat it all in one sitting.  That inch of fat in the pan would've turned into congealed white paste once I threw it in the fridge.  Not sure I could serve it to the rest of the family if they saw that!  I feel the grease did it's job during the cooking process.  :wink: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options
    Excellent point brother!!

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• SGH
    Options
    I'm glad to see that everyone enjoyed the SL. Either tonight or tomorrow I'm going to post a unique but excellent appetizer consisting of rabbit. For folks who will eat rabbit, it's as good or better than the SL.

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Watch out...Theres going to be a run on rabbit...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Well obviously we are gonna need a rabbit butchering thread now. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    I can hook y'all up with that unless the buffalo decides to strike.

Status- Standing by.

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Rabbit fricassee is one of my favorite things to eat
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • SGH
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    Rabbit fricassee is one of my favorite things to eat
    I have never made the fricassee before but would like to try it. However I have a couple of recipes that I'm going to share. One of them is pretty unique. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    I can hook y'all up with that unless the buffalo decides to strike.

I was kidding around. Ive skinned and cut up my fair share. We kill quite a few down at our camp during hunting season. Its hard to beat a good rabbit and gravy. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    I was kidding around. Ive skinned and cut up my fair share. 
    I was more than sure that you had my friend. But I bet there are some on here that have not. 

Status- Standing by.

• cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Options
    Here's my go at it. HEB didn't have Ritzs. I had to get their store brand. Also, I didn't notice that you only use 1/4 bell pepper. And I got some huge red ones. 

All mixed up and cooking at 375

More to follow.  

LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• SGH
    Options
    @cajunrph
    Looking good brother. Standing by for the finale.  

Status- Standing by.