Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tater Tot Casserole. In the style of Dixie.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
edited January 2016 in EggHead Forum
Fellows, here is a real treat to compliment the sausage loaf exceedingly well. They compliment each other like peanut butter and jelly. With the formalities aside, here it is as you requested my friends.

Ingriedants:
1 pound ground beef. I prefer 70/30 as it doesn't dry out. 
1 can of cream of mushroom soup.
1 bag of quality tater tots.
Provolone cheese.
Parmesan cheese. (Block, not powder). 

For the remaining cheese, use what you like. Shredded cheddar, Montery Jack, Colby Jack or a combination of different cheeses etc, etc. The sky is the limit here. Again, just use your preference for the top layer. 

Directions. 
First, brown the ground beef. It doesn't matter if it's frozen or thawed. Examples of both frozen and thawed. They work equally well.

Frozen.

Thawed.

After browning drain the meat well. Unlike the sausage loaf, you do not need not want the excess grease. 

Drain meat.

After draining, spread meat into a baking dish.

Stir in 1 can of Cream of Mushroom per 1 pound of ground beef. 

Now lay down a layer of sliced Provolone.

Now lay down a good tight layer of tater tots. Once you lay down your layer of tater tots, salt them to your taste. 

Now really put the the shredded mozzarella, cheddar, etc, etc, to it. Don't be scared of the cheese. Put it to it. The more the better. 

Due to its thickness, cook at 350 degrees to avoid scorching the cheese. Don't be tempted to run this higher than 350. Cook until hot through and through. As a rough guide, as long as the very center reads 140 degrees, you are good to go. 

About 10 minutes before it is done, top with a coat of the best Parmesan that you can find. Not powder.
Parmesan block. This is a outstanding one. I use it on chargrilled oysters.
Parmesan block.  

This is can be cooked in the oven, BGE, or my personal favorite, a big unit. However for clarity, smoke adds very little to this dish. To be honest, most folks seem to prefer it without smoke. As such, cook it at your discretion. 

Tips:
You can make this as big or as small as you want. Just keep the proportions the same. 1 can to 1 pound. Or 1,000 cans to a 1,000 pounds. The 1 to 1 ratio works perfect.  
Once you lay down your layer of tater tots, don't forget to salt them. I go pretty heavy, but I like salt.  
If possible, use a good quality Parmesan, not a can of powder. It makes all the difference in the world. 
Drain the meat well. You do not want the end result to be greasy. 
Bake at no higher than 350 to avoid scorching the cheese. 
Skip the smoke. It brings nothing to the table with this dish. 
Dont be scared to really put the cheese to it. This in not Jenny Craig, it's SGH.
Last but certainly not least, hope that yall enjoy it my friends. 

Unit #1 purring along at 350 degrees. 

Hope that y'all enjoy it as much as I do my friends. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited January 2016
    Options
    First! Can't wait to try it!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Screw the ground beef. I'm making it with leftover sausage loaf.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    You should not have leftover sausage loaf brother Grim. If you do, you are slacking in the eating department my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gamecockeggman
    Options
    First....this is unnatural, insane, unthinkable....and yet @SGH and his posey of unthinkable food gods have blessed us with yet another unbelievable entree.  I cannot wait to try is out....  In the words of the great Wayne and Garth.... We're not worthy!!!!  
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    This looks fantastic - I have it bookmarked. Some fine comfort food. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    That looks great. And thats one I bet my kiddos will LOVE. I'll be making this one with ground deer. 

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks outstanding brother!  Stick to your bones grub.  Thanks for the detailed post!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, making this for our sons birthday tomorrow.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Tbent
    Tbent Posts: 225
    Options
    Good stuff! Just like my mom used to make. She'd throw some diced onion in with half of it for my pops. 
    L, S, MM, Mini
    Washington, IL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    SGH said:

This in not Jenny Craig, it's SGH.

Genius.  Quote of the day.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Meat - Check
    Cream - Check
    Mushrooms for texture - Check
    Potatoes - Check
    Cheese, plenty of it - Check

That's pretty much comfort food right there, gonna have to try this. I'm planning wings for tomorrow, might have to make this to go with.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • beachsmoke
    Options
    yes sir I am going to make that for Monday big game.  thanks for the idea and details hope all is well happy new year
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    @SGH you never cease to amaze me. This will be cooked tomorrow in our house!!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Man oh man, everything about this screams awesome!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Looks awesome!  
  • FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    Options
    Thank You SGH.  Already got it printed out to add to my BGE recipe binder.  Looking forward to trying it.  I appreciate your simple, down home recipes.  Being fairly new to cooking, easy is a big plus.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• SGH
    Options
    FarmerTom said:
     I appreciate your simple, down home recipes.  
    Thank you brother. Sometimes it's the small and simple things that really shine. In my humble opinion, this is one of them. Hope that you enjoy it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just getting together what I want to cook with @SGH suggestions has made me tired. I will therefore take a nap before executing said recipes.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    SGH have you ever used leftover brisket as the meat? I think the brisket would add that extra flavor and smokiness to the dish. Any ways a great   work week dinner for sure.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    cazzy said:
    For the cheese, I suggest you use a three cheese blend:

https://youtu.be/nfxpwbWBNuU
    Mind blown
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Looks awesome, may try it today!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    That is truly a thing of beauty.... Well its off to the store again.. Thanks for posting..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    SGH have you ever used leftover brisket as the meat? I think the brisket would add that extra flavor and smokiness to the dish. Any ways a great   work week dinner for sure.
    SGH said:
    You should not have leftover sausage loaf brother Grim. If you do, you are slacking in the eating department my friend ;)
    I'm betting that goes for leftover brisket as well. 

Little Rock, AR

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Can't wait to try this one! I've been making a similar version for years using elbow macaroni instead of tater tots. Color me enlightened. Love tater tots way more than elbow macaroni. Good one @SGH. Copied and ready to go.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yeah dude!... Gotta try this one as well as the loaf... Does the sausage have to be Jimmy Dean or will a local product work?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I love you man B)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    I am thinking of squeezing in another layer of tots and cheese, sort of layered like a lasagne....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....