Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My trailer smoker has started being built!

After 7 months of waiting and changing my build over and over again... It's finalized, paid for and the build starts today!!!  I spent last night talking to Tyler Shirley laying out my options and plan to drive up Sunday to drop off the deep fryer, propane tank and griddle.    I'm like a kid on Christmas that got a new xbox.  Except a portable outdoor kitchen kicks the snot out of an xbox!!  My company spends over 20k a year on catering events. This trailer will pay for it's self in the first year and I'll have a farking sweet competition setup!

Shirley Fabrication Order for Thatgrimguy

Main Chamber

• 24x65 Squared off design to hold equal sized racks on all shelves
  • 4 shelves equally spaced with 5” of clearance
  • 2 Welded rod running length of smoker 1.5 inch from top to hang meats =
  • No handles on top 3 shelves
  • Make bottom shelf with 2 handles on both sides to make loading a whole hog easier.  No handles on other shelves
  • Valve for draining fat (extended handle option for easy draining) (hook to hang bucket under grease drain)
  • Probe ports on both sides of pit. (2 for main chamber 1 for vertical)
  • Diamond Plate doors
  • Metal bar mounted to hold LED tape strip lights. (mounted as a plate that hang over & illuminate the grill / prep area)
  • Shelf/storage under Stainless shelf on door side
  • Doors open on passenger side of vehicle/(trailer equivalent)
  • Tel Tru thermometers
  • Stainless Exhaust

Vertical Chamber

• Hip roof
  • 4 sliding racks for Vertical, but rack slides in 8 places (each with 3” of clearance) (bottom rack position close to coal)
  • No handles on shelves
  • 2 welded rods in top for hanging meat (I plan to hang some heavy charcuteries, whole hams, legs of lamb, etc)
  • Shirley damper system (both dampers)
  • Diamond Plate Doors
  • Folding side shelf on outside of vertical
  • Metal bar mounted to hold LED tape strip lights. (mounted as a plate that hang over & illuminate the grill / prep area)
  • Stainless Exhaust

Firebox:

• Insulated Firebox
  • Grilling rack for high temp searing in fire box
  • Ash pan

Wood Storage:

• Flip down stainless table over wood storage for extra prep space

Trailer Options:

• Stainless work table running full length of pit and back into warmer as far as possible
  • Add deep single bay sink  (15-20 gallon tank) (gas instant hot water, no waste water storage, drain run with RV style dump hose if possible.)
  • Opposite of Sink, leave room to strap my 2 stacked Carlisle Insulated Food Carriers (preferably in a way I can open the doors and never take them off the trailer)
  • Install Camp Chef 3x Expedition.  Modify drain/trough on griddle.
  • Install Cajun Fryer 6 gallon deep fryer on trailer. Raise exhaust out of face level - Add cool touch handle to lid off side.
  • Add Propane connection by firebox so I can hook up weed burner to start fire.
  • Put a battery and a battery charger to give 12v power for LED lights, water pump, and car lighter accessory port (Or just some dry box somewhere large enough to hold this and I’ll handle the electric work)
  • Removable Tongue
  • Pole to mount umbrella or signs or lights. Centered at front of pit.
  • Trailer/storage painted Yellow to match yellow from RV
  • Custom rims
  • Custom cover made by neighbor. Make nose (propane accessories cover separate from smoker/sink cover)

Custom Metal Art

• Custom signs added painted to match yellow from RV
  • “Guild’s Grocery” Logo for back of smoker and front of Warmer box
  • “Allen” Logo etched out of yellow painted metal for side of Vertical
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Sounds freaking fantastic, can't wait to see the finished pictures.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    edited January 2016
    @Thatgrimguy - totally unrelated, did you and @SGH make it to Trump's rally in Biloxi a few days ago?? ;)
    Edit:  Sounds like quite a rig-enjoy and best of luck on the circuit.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    lousubcap said:
    @Thatgrimguy - totally unrelated, did you and @SGH make it to Trump's rally in Biloxi a few days ago?? ;)
    It was too crazy. I had tickets, but just didn't care enough to get out in all that.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    @Thatgrimguy  Sounds VERY nice. A few thing I have thought about after my stick burner was built:  I have a reverse flow dual smoker one thing I wish we had built in was a water pan closest to the fire box end. Also something I thought would be neat to add is a pipe in the top of the firebox that ran to the outside with a quick connect on it. Inside some metal sprayer nozzles up high. You could take a pump can of water, apple juice or what ever you want and spray the meat. Disconnect the sprayer and good to go. Also for your thermos look at the 500 series tel tru as they are 5" in diameter and easy to read.  I'm sure I will think of a few more things later.

and congratulations on your new toy.  

• Firemanyz
    Not sure what temp range thermos you want but there are a bunch on eBay now. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Sounds sweet!  

Will they be sending some pictures soon?  Keep us updated.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    that build sounds like a dream come true.  and you cant go wrong with the best builder in the business.  What kind of turnaround time are you expecting?  I'm excited to see what this is gonna look like. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Thatgrimguy
    Firemanyz said:
    Not sure what temp range thermos you want but there are a bunch on eBay now. 
    @Firemanyz  Thank you for the input!!  I'm going to do the 100-500 degree.  Only potential issue with the 500 series is the 6" stem.  That may get annoying depending on exactly where they land in relation to my 4 racks.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Damn, I'm jealous! 

Read Ayayron Franklin's Meat Manifesto if you haven't.  Good information for stick burning.
    You've come to the right place to share your excitement. Congrats!  Can't wait to see pics of it and pics of the food you make on it!  
    Waiting til delivery day is going to be the hardest part.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Thatgrimguy
    shucker said:
    that build sounds like a dream come true.  and you cant go wrong with the best builder in the business.  What kind of turnaround time are you expecting?  I'm excited to see what this is gonna look like. 
    I'm guaranteed to have it before Feb 9th because I'm cooking a big charity event that day (fat tuesday)  I've been in line with my deposit down since middle of June though.  I've changed the build umpteen times. 
  • Firemanyz
    @Thatgrimguy     they come in other lengths. I have some that are only 2 inches or so long and others that are 6 inches. They are easy to read from a distance and are very accurate. 
  • Damn, I'm jealous! 

I second that. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You'll really want a wood shed or covered area to store and season wood.  Unless you can reliably find seasoned wood.
    Congrats on the new outfit. Hope it is a little sooner then the day you need it so you can get at least 1 cook in before the charity event. Can't wait to see some pictures of the new rig and most of all the BBQ coming off of it.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • That sounds phenomenal.  I'm a little green with envy as well.  Enjoy it...I'm sure you will!
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Sent you a PM.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Thatgrimguy
    You'll really want a wood shed or covered area to store and season wood.  Unless you can reliably find seasoned wood.
    I have an under utilized shed and got 2 facecords about a month ago. Went in there NYE to grab some for firewood and noticed a small amount of mold... I opened up the doors and cut on the light.. Hopefully I didn't ruin my wood.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    lousubcap said:

I really wanted to go but I have had a lot going on as of late and didn't get to make it. I sure wanted to though. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited January 2016
    Damn, I'm jealous!
    As am I. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Thatgrimguy
    Congrats on the new unit brother Grim. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. 

Status- Standing by.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @SGH- you and your unit(s) ;)   I'm sure you can convince @Thatgrimguy how much fun he will have playing with his...of course you will have to give him the inside story on the proper naming/numbering procedure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Congrats...can't wait to see it.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

@Thatgrimguy  I am seriously pumped for you!  

You are taking delivery of one of my bucket list items, so I'll live vicariously through you.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Man that sounds soooo sweet!  Congrats!  Now the waiting....
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Sounds awesome man. Not just a smoker but a kitchen on wheels. Nice touch with the  griddle, fryer, and hot water. I also like the  onboard food holding. I hope you're leaving room for the Cobra smoker. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Thatgrimguy
    I'll definitely be posting pics... probably to the point of annoying.  This is the coolest thing I have ever owned. It will also be with me at Butt Blast in April.

Now I'm going to have to really learn to use it and quick.. Showing up to a competition with a couple ugly drum smokers and landing in the middle of the pack is all good. With this setup I'm going to draw some serious attention! Better perform. 

@nolaegghead I did grab the Franklin BBQ Manifesto. I love it. Read it cover to cover and now am making my way through the fire management sections again like I'm studying for a big test.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Very sweet. It sounds like the Shirley will be painted to match the Winnabanger?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    d@mn.....that is everything including the kitchen sink. Bet this will be a thing of beauty. As for your excitement....  Share on. You are amongst folks who appreciate the desig, functionality, cost and good food that will come from it. You should be stoked (not like the wood)!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow