Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have never brined anything

Options
Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
Want to try on a pork loin. Bought a 8lber but plan to cut in half. Plan is to brine this afternoon and overnight for tomorrow. I don't want the brine to impart too much flavor as the flavor profile I am going for is herb crusted but was thinking the brine would help keep her moist. Not sure I have cooked all these years without brining but guess I have lived by the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Please share a quick brine recipe for this 4lb loin. Thanks
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
    just rock salt and water and i rarely measure
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    Honestly.... I have never noticed any sort of imparting too much flavor when brining.... I don't even know how well it really works....

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Fast93
    Options
    I've always brined poultry, never pork.  A coworker is just the opposite.  Most of my brines start with 1 cup of sugar (brown or white) and 3/4 cup of salt in a gallon of water.  For pork loin, though, I usually soak it in orange juice with a few slices of lemon and/or lime if I have them, some spices being sure to include cumin and salt - the rest is up to you.  Add some cilantro - 'spank' it first to open up the fragrance.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Since you're cutting it in half, brine only half, and then do a side-by-side comparison to see if it's worth the trouble (I have, and find it does).  Let us know what happens.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I don't have measurements but my favorite for pork is water, salt, lemons, peppercorns, garlic, and bay leaves. :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    As above.  Can't impart too much flavor.  Some salt and sugar.  Add some other stuff (citrus, herbs, etc).  It's not that complicated but it does seem to make it better. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Here's a very basic brine that I then add to if looking for more than just a "brine":  4 cups water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/8 cup brown sugar.  Regardless of the recipe, I'm sure it will turn out great.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    gallon water cup of salt, half cup sugar. heat up to dissolve salt and sugar, allow to cool and brine it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you can add herbs to the brine and it will carry in to the meat. could be good for an herb crusted loin. I like tarragon, lemon, maybe a little basil

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Here is bare bones brine that is foolproof. You can use it as is or doctor it up any way that you want. However it works miricales as is. 
    1 Gallon of water. 
    1 Cup Salt.
    1 Cup sugar. For this basic brine I use plain ole white sugar. 
    It doesn't get any simpler than the above. And it works as good or better than most of the real elaborate witches brew you see elsewhere. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @Chubbs I've become a big fan of brining.  Many of us have purchased The Briner, which makes things really simple.

This recipe is per 8-10lbs of pork butt - modify accordingly. 

1 cup pickling salt (disolves better than regular salt)
    3/4 cup of molasses
    mix with 2-3 cups of hot water to aid in mixing
    add enough cold water to cover meat 

optional:
    1 tablespoon of rub
    1 cup of apple juice

Phoenix 
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options

Morning Chubbs:

My basic brine is 3 quarts water, 0.5 cup Kosher salt, 0.5 cup turbinado sugar, a splash of orange juice, a splash of soy sauce and a big squirt of honey (never measure the last three items)...works great for chicken or pork and only adds moisture (no real flavor added)...mix all together stirring until all dissolved (no need to heat and then wait to cool)...hope this helps.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    I did a brine for a bone in roast and it was really tasty.  The brine did not over power the roast, but gave it a subtle hint of flavoring while keeping the roast extremely moist.  The recipe for this brine is as follows:

Brined for 10 hours with a mixture of 1 gallon (3.8 L) of water
    3 strips of thick bacon cooked (did not strain the grease)
    8 oz (230 g) kosher salt
    8 oz (230 g) dark brown sugar
    1⁄4 cup (60 ml) whole black pepper
    3 each whole cloves
    2 cinnamon sticks
    1 tsp (5 ml) ground nutmeg
    6 sprigs thyme, or 1 tsp (5 ml) dry thyme
    4 cloves of garlic, smashed with the side of a chefs knife

My roast is posted here on this link
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1188873/brined-bone-in-pork-crown-roast#latest

Happy Egging and Happy New Years!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've done 1gal water 1cup of salt and sugar with a couple of crushed garlic glove and 5-8 cloves.   Be easy with the garlic because it can become very powerful and I say that as a garlic lover.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    henapple said:
    Liver brining.. 3 bottles of Woodford. Problem solved. 
    I think, technically, that's pickling.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    henapple said:
    Liver brining.. 3 bottles of Woodford. Problem solved. 
    I typically do this which is why I never get around to brining
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What Cen-Tex said, I do add Rosemary, Thyme and lemon mint and some peppercorns. I use regular hy-grade food salt (without iodine) it I'd like $6 for 20Kg at Costco. Stuff looks like cocaine stored in foodsaver bags in my pantry.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!