Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Cheap Whiskey?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    For the record, it all gets you drunk. 
    Well said! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • I've sipped plenty of Early Times and Beam 8 Star....Mellow Corn as well. Bourbon was always a reasonable affordable drink....until people started buying Pappy because somebody told them it was cool.  Then the rest of us who just want to drink and enjoy have to over spend on our favorites now. 

Bastards ruin everything. 
  • Go to Wal Mart.  I'm sure you can find something cheap and horrible tasting. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2015
    SloppyJoe said:
    Go to Wal Mart.  I'm sure you can find something cheap and horrible tasting. 
    LOL - actually in our community of 110k with an SMSA of 325k Wally World has some of the highest prices for their booze! Whether it be rot gut, wine or higher priced recognized brands! Privately owned liquor stores beat them ALL by several dollars per bottle! Same way with SAM'S prices...they are easy to beat! Always amazes me seeing people buy booze at either of those places! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SloppyJoe said:
    In the Bible Belt, no booze at Wallyworld. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    SloppyJoe said:
    In the Bible Belt, no booze at Wallyworld. 
    Or in PA
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Whiskey can mean blend or straight bourbon.  Blends are the cheap Canadians and of course Crown!  Straight Kentucky bourbons are where it gets good and expensive!

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to bookmark this page for future selections. When at Sam's this evening I stopped in their liquor store and decided to go with a 1.75 Jim Beam bourbon for $22. Took it for a good test drive tonight. I thought it was descent for the price. Definitely looking foward to trying out some other brands. Sam's only offers so much. The local liquor store will have a wider variety. Thanks again for the tips!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    For the record, it all gets you drunk. 
    It's all about the next morning... Cheaper = Worse Hangover
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    TxAggie said:
    Forty Creek.  It tastes like Crown Special Reserve at half the cost.
    I'll drink Forty Creek, but it's not even the same as regular Crown. I can definitely taste the difference. There's a fairly new blended Canadian Whiskey out of Fort Worth called TX. Costs around the same as Crown and it's really good. It might only be sold around DFW.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Find Ancient Ancient Age. Older than Ancient Age, smoother, smokier, and a lower price point.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Early Times ... mixed w/ Squirt.  =)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    First, let's not confuse whiskey with bourbon. 

Bourbon & American Whiskey
    Bourbon & American Whiskey's roots go back to the late 1700s, when westbound British, Irish and Scottish settlers started making whiskey in Kentucky. In 1964, the US Congress established federal regulations for producing the spirit. All American whiskeys are distilled from a fermented mash (mixture) of cereal grain and water without any coloring or flavoring additives. Unlike Scotch or cognac, American whiskey must by law be aged in new, charred oak barrels and no more than 160-proof (80% alcohol by volume). In order to be classified as "straight" whiskey, it must be aged for at least two years and unblended. American whiskey's entail: rye, rye malt, malt, wheat, bourbon, corn, and Tennessee whiskey, which is a special classification of Bourbon. Bourbon must be made from a mash that is at least 51% corn. The rest of the mash is made up of rye, wheat and/or malted barley. While most bourbon today is still made in Kentucky, it can legally be made anywhere in the United States. The spirit’s beautiful amber color comes from the wood that it's aged in for at least two years while the alcohol by volume climbs to a minimum of 40% (80-proof) before bottling. 

My favorite, reasonably priced, bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Of course, if you ask ten people, you will probably get ten different answers. Pappy VanWinkle is excellent but expensive, Willet, Bulleit, Four Roses, and Michters all are delicious with each offering a different taste. To really try a bourbon, try it straight. Try it with a little water to open up the flavor and try it with a little ice. The same bourbon will yield three different tastes and you can decide which taste best to you.

One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    tgs2401 said:
    First, let's not confuse whiskey with bourbon. 

Bourbon & American Whiskey
    Bourbon & American Whiskey's roots go back to the late 1700s, when westbound British, Irish and Scottish settlers started making whiskey in Kentucky. In 1964, the US Congress established federal regulations for producing the spirit. All American whiskeys are distilled from a fermented mash (mixture) of cereal grain and water without any coloring or flavoring additives. Unlike Scotch or cognac, American whiskey must by law be aged in new, charred oak barrels and no more than 160-proof (80% alcohol by volume). In order to be classified as "straight" whiskey, it must be aged for at least two years and unblended. American whiskey's entail: rye, rye malt, malt, wheat, bourbon, corn, and Tennessee whiskey, which is a special classification of Bourbon. Bourbon must be made from a mash that is at least 51% corn. The rest of the mash is made up of rye, wheat and/or malted barley. While most bourbon today is still made in Kentucky, it can legally be made anywhere in the United States. The spirit’s beautiful amber color comes from the wood that it's aged in for at least two years while the alcohol by volume climbs to a minimum of 40% (80-proof) before bottling. 

My favorite, reasonably priced, bourbon is Woodford Reserve. Of course, if you ask ten people, you will probably get ten different answers. Pappy VanWinkle is excellent but expensive, Willet, Bulleit, Four Roses, and Michters all are delicious with each offering a different taste. To really try a bourbon, try it straight. Try it with a little water to open up the flavor and try it with a little ice. The same bourbon will yield three different tastes and you can decide which taste best to you.

All bourbon is whiskey. All whiskey is not bourbon. All scotch is whiskey. All whiskey is not scotch. There are a lot of subcategories in the whiskey world. 
  • WeberWho? said:
    I don't drink whiskey all that often but was wondering what some of you might suggest for something under $35. I was on a kick for awhile with Jack Daniels honey. I really enjoyed that. I'm a beer guy and could use some help with whiskey. Thanks!
    Ancient Age for bourbon, Famous Grouse for Scotch.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• If drinking on the rocks Crown Royal. If your mixing with pop then Revel Stoke or Seagrams. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Back when I imbibed, Early Times and Virginia Gentleman were what I bought. Basically anything half gallon in a plastic bottle. Pop out the "governor" and have at it.....Good shine was my premium booze, that and PBR put me and the patrol car in the trees one night.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Several years ago Costco had a plastic two litre bottle of blended scotch, it may have been McLachlan's or something like that. It was pretty cheap. The first sip was a bit harsh compared with most of the name brands. But it smoothed out pretty good by the third sip. Don't know if they still carry it or not. But based on that experience i'd say just pick one, by  the end of the bottle you'll probably be a fan. In fact, try many and not only will you become an expert but you'll probably enjoy each one for what it is.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 679
    Old forester is a decent bourbon for the price.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I like the smooth buttery caramel notes of Gerorge Dickel No. 8, middle shelf price.
  • For that price, I am a big fan of Buffalo Trace. Hard to beat for the price.
    Lake Keowee, SC
    XLarge, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Custom Table, KAB, Woo2, Guru DigiQ DX2,
    Family of 5 Meat Eaters
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Here in Oregon, liquor sales are controlled by the state, Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
    Hard liquor is sold only by state -controlled stores.
    Prices are set by OLCC, there is no competition.  Looking at brands that some of you identify as inexpensive or middle-range price really tickles me, as they sure aren't here.
    At serious "stock-up" time, I can head for California.
    At least their constitution wasn't written by a bunch of blue-noses.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • jaydub58 said:
    Here in Oregon, liquor sales are controlled by the state, Oregon Liquor Control Commission.
    Hard liquor is sold only by state -controlled stores.
    Prices are set by OLCC, there is no competition.  Looking at brands that some of you identify as inexpensive or middle-range price really tickles me, as they sure aren't here.
    At serious "stock-up" time, I can head for California.
    At least their constitution wasn't written by a bunch of blue-noses.
    Yeah - but you have no sales tax, right?
    We have the same in BC, government monopoly at the wholesale level although you can buy retail in a non-government store. In BC the good stuff (>$60 per bottle) is competitive. Booker's Bourbon retails in Cali for $60US at BEVMO, in our government store it is <$60CDN - that's 30% less. The 1.75l of Jim Beam above for $22US is not always available, the 1.14l bottle is $33CDN...the working man gets screwed again.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My store Mgr laughs at me when I check out with PBR and Woodford.... But he gives me 10 percent off. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • For that price, I am a big fan of Buffalo Trace. Hard to beat for the price.

came in to post this. Buffalo Trace or Makers is my go to
    Franklin, TN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    stay away from seagrams, its not whiskey, its a distilled spirit or a brown vodka ;)  crown is always a good choice, jamesons, bulliet (prefer the rye over their bourbon as its not too sweet), paddys is good if you like a lighter taste and their bee sting version is not too bad. disaronno added to a bad whiskey fixes it.  i prefer room temp, no water or ice but the neighbors seem to push chilled crown on me, i dont complain =) regal apple crown seems to be catching on big time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    stay away from seagrams, its not whiskey, its a distilled spirit or a brown vodka ;)  crown is always a good choice, jamesons, bulliet (prefer the rye over their bourbon as its not too sweet), paddys is good if you like a lighter taste and their bee sting version is not too bad. disaronno added to a bad whiskey fixes it.  i prefer room temp, no water or ice but the neighbors seem to push chilled crown on me, i dont complain =) regal apple crown seems to be catching on big time
    Seagrams whiskey and all permutations disagree with me.   Or I with them.  Whatever, just do not like.

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    im from TN and my wife is from KY.  this subject is greatly debated at my house
  • I'm a fan of Woodford Reserve with a splash of water. Runs about $30 on sale.