Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Cheap Whiskey?

Options
13»

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Evan Williams black. 1.75. L for 15.99 in Austin.   Awesome. Drink it almost every day. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • ErnieMcCracken
    Options
    Eagle Rare 10yr.  My absolute favorite for the price ($30-35).  Not much compares for me.
  • jonessteave
    jonessteave Posts: 78
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hello, My father's birthday is coming and I wanna buy him a good one I was thinking of buying the JW Blue Label from a shop like Fat Baby Bourbon, but some people told me that is overrated, my father normally drinks Lagavulin 16 years, but I would like something better for his birthday Any ideas?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,536
    Options
    As predicted, exactly one minute later...

canuckland
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    For me this question depends on how I am drinking the whiskey.  If I am drinking on the rocks I like Russell’s 10 year, but if I am mixing with ginger ale, I go with Evan Williams bottled in bond.  That is a great cheap poor.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm going to try something...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Yoga?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,662
    Options
    caliking said:
    Adding garlic to your whiskey???

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options
    Canadian Mist.  Don't need a high dollar pour to have a great evening.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    That was my dads poison of choice when I was a kid.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    But guaranteed to make you have a crappy morning after
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Hello, My father's birthday is coming and I wanna buy him a good one I was thinking of buying the JW Blue Label from a shop like Fat Baby Bourbon, but some people told me that is overrated, my father normally drinks Lagavulin 16 years, but I would like something better for his birthday Any ideas?
    I love Lag 16, but it is a world away from the flavour of JW Blue. I have an open bottle of each on the go. Lag 16 is way more peaty. If he’s really a peat guy, then I would recommend something with a smokier profile. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:
    Yoga?
    I couldn't see well with my balls in my face.

Was trying to see if the @jonessteave bot could be lured into multipost purgatory in a zombie thread.

• caliking
    Options
    I love Lag 16, but it is a world away from the flavour of JW Blue. I have an open bottle of each on the go. Lag 16 is way more peaty. If he’s really a peat guy, then I would recommend something with a smokier profile. 
    Lagavulin Distillers Edition is sex in a bottle. My favorite pour. Too peaty for me, but if you like peaty, the Ardberg will put some hair on your chest. 

• Wooderson
    Options
    AaronH said:
    My Go to- George Dickle #12     I think it beats the pants off jack black. 
    This
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    caliking said:
    Lagavulin Distillers Edition is sex in a bottle. My favorite pour. Too peaty for me, but if you like peaty, the Ardberg will put some hair on your chest. 
    Octomore, if you want more peat you’ll have to dig it out of the bottle!
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Can’t recommend Scotch but Benchmark in the plastic handle will get most twisted and for little money.    

Good luck
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Have done Ardbeg and Octomore. Both great pours, IMO. 

I’ll have to look for the Lag Distiller’s Edition, @caliking
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Lag 16 reminds me of a tire fire. I know my opinions differ from the majority, but it is way, way to smokey for me
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 684
    Options
    Costco 1.75L

makers mark bourbon or JW black label scotch. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2023
    Options
    poster said:
    Lag 16 reminds me of a tire fire. I know my opinions differ from the majority, but it is way, way to smokey for me
    You’re on the money. To me, its scent is the closest you can get to a real campfire. I’ve smelled it from the other end of big tables in restaurants. I wouldn’t want it every day, but when I’m in the mood for it, it really hits the spot in a big way. 

(As an aside, there’s a smokey German beer that has an similar impact. https://www.lcbo.com/en/aecht-schlenkerla-rauchbier-409110)
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    Lag 16 is one of my all time favorites. Laphroig 10 is another that is very peaty. Very similar to Ardbeg. Haven’t had Octomore. Will have to keep an eye out for it.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    Lag 16 is one of my all time favorites. Laphroig 10 is another that is very peaty. Very similar to Ardbeg. Haven’t had Octomore. Will have to keep an eye out for it.
    Same here re: Lag 16. All this talk is making me want one by the fire tonight. 

The Octomore is pretty special, and commands a high price. I have never owned a bottle, but used to do a monthly scotch tasting with neighbours, and one of the participants brought a bottle to share. At 63.5%, it’s a heavy hitter.
  • Captnrontx
    Options
    Tongue in cheek here.  But does cheap and good go together?  Kinda Like military intelligence   
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This thread does remind me of this sign:

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,122
    Options

If the service is a hooker, then Good&Cheap is pretty solid deal.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I remember when a cougar introduced me to White Russians back when I was 20 or so.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

If the service is a hooker, then Good&Cheap is pretty solid deal.
    Somehow I have no doubt this was the first thing that came to your mind, and that you were excited to post it.  
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Tom T. Hall taught me everything I ever needed to know.  I think it applies here.

He was an old time cowboy
    Don't you understand
    His eyes were sharp as razor blades
    His face was leather tanned
    His toes were pointed inward
    From a hangin' on a horse
    He was an old philosopher of course
    He was so thin I swear
    You could have used him for a whip
    He had to drink a beer
    To keep his breeches on his hips
    I knew I had to ask him
    About the mysteries of life
    He spat between his boots
    And he replied

"It's faster horses
    Younger women
    Older whiskey
    More money"
    Clinton, Iowa
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I remember when a cougar introduced me to White Russians back when I was 20 or so.