Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Cheap Whiskey?

Options
I don't drink whiskey all that often but was wondering what some of you might suggest for something under $35. I was on a kick for awhile with Jack Daniels honey. I really enjoyed that. I'm a beer guy and could use some help with whiskey. Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    Well the first question is what type of whisky do you like? Burboun, rye, scotch, Irish, Canadian, ect. There are plenty of good cheap whiskies out there but if you buy a bourbon and aren't a fan of the oak aftertaste you're not going to be a fan regardless. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Seagrams American blended. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    JB black, JW black, Dimple pinch and of course crown royal for the Canadian whiskey 
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Jameson, makers, crown, bulleit, four roses are all good in my book and under 35. So many choices though. 
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,343
    Options
    If bourbon then bulleit or rowan's creek work for me.  You may be able to find angel's envy on a promo, depending on where you are.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm not usually one for anything fruity in my spirits, but the Crown Apple is incredibly drinkable if you like a blended whiskey.  

For bourbon, I have been going for Buffalo Trace.  A handle bottle (1.75 L) of single barrel is $40 at a liquor store near me (they have excellent prices, so your mileage may vary). 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NewNashEgg
    Options
    Weller Antique 107, Wild Turkey 101, Four Roses Single Barrel, Eagle Rare, Henry McKenna, Elijah Craig 12, Old Granddad.

35 is a great price point for bourbon. We do an annual bourbon swap dirty Santa style and 35 is our limit.  It's not hard finding a good bottle. Anything bonded is a generally safe bet because it guarantees the standards were met for its production.  Start sampling them and find out what you like. 

JD Honey is a far stretch to most that I've listed.  If your going to mix then just grab a bottom shelfer.
  • AaronH
    AaronH Posts: 145
    Options
    My Go to- George Dickle #12     I think it beats the pants off jack black. 
    XLBGE /MiniBGE / Maverick 733 x 2/ Woo2 / CGS 17.5 Stone

North Carolina land
  • TxAggie
    Options
    Forty Creek.  It tastes like Crown Special Reserve at half the cost.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    how are you going to consume it? Straight up or mixed? If mixed meaning the taste will be greatly altered then IMO no need to go up to $35 as $20 will get you some decent mixing whiskey.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Jameson's straight up is smooth and reasonably priced 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    AaronH said:
    My Go to- George Dickle #12     I think it beats the pants off jack black. 
    This is my go to also. A handle is $39.99 at total wine. Larceny is another good one but it's a couple dollars more per bottle. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you liked JD Honey, you are a sweet guy (nothing personal there, referring to what you like) You sure you might not be more of a rum kinda guy? ElDorado is good as are most Appletons. 
    Crown Royal has a Maple rye that, like JD Honey, pretty much buriies the whiskey with a sweet sugar overtone. 
    Whiskey is meant to be consumed neat or with a splash of water, IMHO, mixing is for folks who want some alcohol but really do not like the taste.
    Like @Chubbs I like Jameson's but prefer Tewlamore Dew.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    $35... what size bottle.  Woodfords makes some amazing Bourbon Pork Tenderloin. 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    You can't beat two fingers of good shine over a couple cubes of ice.
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Think about these words - good cheap whiskey.  There ain't no such thing.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Think about these words - good cheap whiskey.  There ain't no such thing.
    Understand it is all relative but Forty Creek, Crown Northern (if you can find it) are quite acceptable - not a 12 year Aberfeldy, but still quite good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    When it comes to bourbon, there are good whiskies and there are cheap whiskies. 
    There are no good, cheap whiskies. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    RRP said:
    how are you going to consume it? Straight up or mixed? If mixed meaning the taste will be greatly altered then IMO no need to go up to $35 as $20 will get you some decent mixing whiskey.
    If mixing, a friend brought some Rebel Yell purchased at Costco. Real good as a mix and I believe it was cheap. 
    Part of the $35 it depends a bit where you are. I can buy Knob Creek, Jeffersons small batch, Four Roses etc... at that price point. If I'm visiting family in NC you have to add another $15 to the tab. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Evan Williams black. @nolaegghead got me started on Evans and Coke Zero. Then I started having it straight on the rocks. For the price, you can't beat it. I do enjoy nice and pricey scotch, but for cost effectiveness Evans works like a Webber. Cheap and gets the job done. 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    For bourbons, as someone else said, something bonded (it will say bonded on the label, may be a paper seal over the cap) are a good starting point.

Another term you might see on a bottle is Bottled-in-Bond or Bonded. This means the bourbon was made at a single distillery, by one distiller in one distillation season, aged for at least four years in a federally bondedand supervised warehouse, and bottled at 100 proof. (I copied and pasted this from a google result for bonded bourbon)

$25-$35 for bourbon, honestly, pick one (or whatever is on sale) and try it. Try something else next time. Some people like Larceny, I think its too sweet. Bulleit has a nice spiciness to it. You like beer, there is a reason so many beers are bourbon barrel aged these days.

For something Canadian, Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye is popular now. Cost me about $28. I tried a bit earlier tonight, it's good, but I prefer other whiskies.
    http://www.mensjournal.com/food-drink/drinks/the-best-whisky-of-the-year-is-crowned-20151120

Some white (clear) whiskies are popular because they are unaged and therefore cheaper and "newer". There is a reason why whiskey is aged in barrels-it makes it taste good.

If you want to try a nice single malt Scotch, you are probably going to have to raise your budget.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Cheap and good, to me, is Black Velvet or Jim Beam when mixing with pop.

Expensive and good, to me, is Forty Creek, Crown, JD, etc. 
    Can't go much beyond that because I'm not a have one drink and put the bottle away guy.  Same goes for craft beer, although the only bar I frequent is Bent River Brewery here in Moline.  I do love a Wild Turkey 101 and Martini and Ross Vermouth Manhattan, Angostura Bitters, spoon of cherry juice, splash of water.  No need to go top shelf when a Manhattan is made right.
    And a fifth doesn't go very far when you're 6'4" 290. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options

Yamazaki 18 year old. Super cheap for some. :)

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    Another vote for Glenmorangie (higher on your budget, but worth it).  Evan Williams is probable the best, cheapest bourbon you can find, but I wouldn't give it as a gift.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • carl292
    Options
    Buffalo Trace and Jim Beam.....
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Black Velvet is a good cheap blended whiskey
    Mark Annville, PA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2015
    Options
    a handle of Bird Dog is $28 that is what a lot of the Gamecock
     kids drink.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    This thread is about good, cheap whiskey.  My go-to is Evan Williams Black.  Travis prefers Green.  I like to think he's just cheaper than me but personal preference is what matters.  +1 @DMW
    Options
    Black Velvet is a good cheap blended whiskey
    For an inexpensive on the rocks kicker I agree. BTW I like LTD even better! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    For the record, it all gets you drunk.