Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sous vide brisket cook

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited November 2015 in EggHead Forum
Some that saw my Smoked Salt thread have heard the rumblings that this was coming down the pike. Although this is not difficult cook, I have been messing with it for 4 days and have one more to go.

I'll post pics of the finished product but I can't do any better than the guys at Chef Steps with their HD video and quirky sense of humor. I am currently glazing it and putting in the bath for lunch tomorrow. I am following their recipe to a T this time (gasp.....no egg!) so I have a baseline for future cooks. This is for people with no smoker so they use techniques I normally would not. If I like it, I'll use the egg and Oak for the finish next time. watch the video and check out what Meat Head has to say at the end. Also look at the 2 KCBS judges in the comment section (they all say it's the best brisket they have ever had). I'm skeptical but had to try it.

Also- if you guys don't subscribe to chef steps, do it now. They are hillarious and will make you a much better cook. there is tons of free stuff and for $20 you get the whole site with tons of full blown classes. It's good stuff.

I'll keep you posted as lunch rolls around tomorrow.

Here is the link to the recipe and step by step

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/smokerless-smoked-brisket
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    That's cool. Chefstep guys got it going on. I'm a believer. I'm a sure it would do wonders with a cheap brisket also. I've been laying down hints for a anova for Christmas. If it doesn't happen in gonna buy one right after. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've been wanting to do this. I'm glad you are so I don't have to try to know if it's really that good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    Can't wait to see your results. I've been dying to try it, just haven't done it. (sous vide a brisket that is, not this exact recipe but if I do try it I'll do it this way now that I have seen it.)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • i'm glad to be the Guinea Pig on this one. I just glazed it and it's about to go in the bath. It looks really good. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Love Chefsteps, can't wait to see your result.
    Sorry didn't mean to threadjack ... their turkey recipe is my favourite
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174988/semi-ot-best-turkey-yet-early-christmas-eve-eve-dinner
    canuckland
  • Here are a few pics as I go along

injected in the cryo (I sanitized it first) so it wouldn't make a mess

In the brine

Just out of the brine 

Glazed up

And in the bath she goes

Cant wait to to see how this all turns out. 
  • Love Chefsteps, can't wait to see your result.
    Sorry didn't mean to threadjack ... their turkey recipe is my favourite
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174988/semi-ot-best-turkey-yet-early-christmas-eve-eve-dinner
    Never a worry! I love their stuff and hope some other people on here find them through this thread. I use them all the time.

• I'll be following, good sir!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    I was wondering when this would happen. Subscribed. 

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:
    I was wondering when this would happen. Subscribed. 
    Come over tomorrow night and get a bite. I'll let you know when it's ready. Would love a second opinion. I have your amazin smoker too. And a **** ton of booze. What could go wrong? Dylan Eggcelcior) is in town all next week too. We should all get together for drinks and food one night. 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Come over tomorrow night and get a bite. I'll let you know when it's ready. Would love a second opinion. I have your amazin smoker too. And a **** ton of booze. What could go wrong? Dylan Eggcelcior) is in town all next week too. We should all get together for drinks and food one night.
    Sounds good. I'll "see you tomorrow".

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade said:
    Sounds good. I'll "see you tomorrow".
    Ha ha. Nice. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I've got this bookmarked. I've been wondering about this for a while too. 

What temp do you have the SV going at? (I'm too fvcking lazy to click on the chef steps link).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    I've got this bookmarked. I've been wondering about this for a while too. 

What temp do you have the SV going at? (I'm too fvcking lazy to click on the chef steps link).
    68c (155f) 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2015
    buzd504 said:
    bump
    5 more hours in the bath then it's time for the final rub down and a few hours in the oven. I'm getting pretty excited to see how this turns out. I can say this- it is an insanely expensive way to do a brisket. I think I'm in this thing for $100 at this point.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Can't wait to hear what you think!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy said:
    Can't wait to hear what you think!
    I already know that I would cut out about 10 ingredients next time and finish over live smoke. Just trying to set a bade line so I know where to go from here. The freaking smoked salts alone were $20 and I made half of them myself!

The rub has 7-8 ingredients. I know a pretty good one with 3 :)

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
     We should all get together for drinks and food one night. 
    Man, I never get invited :bawling: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Like many cooks, I've never been REALLY satisfied with my briskets, even cooking them on a Big Green Egg.  The flavor was there but the bark, texture, tenderness and juiciness just wasn't there for me.  

This thread really reinforced my desire to try again.  I have a sous vide immersion cooker and a Big Green Egg.  I'll wait to see how Cen-Tex's brisket turns out, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the comments so far.  I'm thinking I can do better next time.

Spring "The Thinking Box Was Getting Too Crowded Anyway" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• SGH said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
     We should all get together for drinks and food one night. 
    Man, I never get invited :bawling: 
    Everyone knows It ain't a party until Scottie shows up
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Everyone knows It ain't a party until Scottie shows up
    You know I was just messing with you brother. Still standing by for the finale. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'm 400 miles from Austin. Boo yah!

• Like many cooks, I've never been REALLY satisfied with my briskets, even cooking them on a Big Green Egg.  The flavor was there but the bark, texture, tenderness and juiciness just wasn't there for me.  

This thread really reinforced my desire to try again.  I have a sous vide immersion cooker and a Big Green Egg.  I'll wait to see how Cen-Tex's brisket turns out, but I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the comments so far.  I'm thinking I can do better next time.

Spring Texas USA

I'm the same way. I'm like 50/50 on the egg and it gets frustrating. Hell, Ive done 2 side by side in each egg with the exact same brand of brisket, same setup and one was awesome and the other was a 5.

This is a bit more involved but I think I can create some type hybrid cook using the egg if I like the way this one turns out. If I can get the brisket to the right consistency using the SV, I know i can improve on this recipe using the egg to add the smoke.

Spring Texas USA

I'm the same way. I'm like 50/50 on the egg and it gets frustrating. Hell, Ive done 2 side by side in each egg with the exact same brand of brisket, same setup and one was awesome and the other was a 5.

This is a bit more involved but I think I can create some type hybrid cook using the egg if I like the way this one turns out. If I can get the brisket to the right consistency using the SV, I know i can improve on this recipe using the egg to add the smoke.
    They're obviously very different from brisket, but this is basically why I have turned to doing ribs with the SV-first-Egg-finish: consistency.  What I lose in smoke flavor (and it's not a ton, honestly) I gain in texture and consistency.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @JohnInCarolina, since I finally snagged a Foodsaver, I may try that with the 9 lb'er I have.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I'm a big fan of Chef Steps and quite curious about this recipe. Super excited to see how this turns out. Thanks. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Following this. I was thinking about trying something like it. 
  • texaswig said:
    That's cool. Chefstep guys got it going on. I'm a believer. I'm a sure it would do wonders with a cheap brisket also. I've been laying down hints for a anova for Christmas. If it doesn't happen in gonna buy one right after. 
    Thats typically how i do it, lol. Hope I get it for christmas, but if I don't, Amazon Prime will get it to me to me by the 27th
  • FWIW- we love our Annova but we use our Sous Vide Supreme Demi 95% of the time. It is nice to have an immersion circulator for larger cooks like this but the SVS is a simpler setup that's totally self contained and looks good on the counter when doing long cooks. The Annova and a bucket looks like you are running a meth lab.

Just something to consider for those that are still out there looking.