Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

semi OT - best turkey yet ... early Christmas eve eve dinner

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,528
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
Followed this recipe:
Definitely my best turkey yet bar none, Sorry no egg involved at all. 

Gravy was amazing because it was made with stock from bones of almost the whole 17 pound bird.

I don't have meat glue so instead of making a giant roulade with both legs I made two smaller ones, turned out better because each roll fits my rectangular fryer perfectly and the smaller slices were just the right size for serving. Rolled each leg tight with cling wrap, then put in freezer 30 min to firm up before vac sealing. Sous vide 150F for about 4-5 hours, dried and deep fried in 375 oil to crisp the skin quickly.

Breast was cooked in oven at 250 till IT 145, basted few times with ghee. Running behind with sides so I drop the oven temp to 225 to stall till probably IT 150-155. Removed from oven, cranked oven up to 475F, basted one last time with ghee, s&p the skin heavily, back in oven until skin brown and crispy.  In spite of the hiccup, it was still incredibly juicy.  I also figured out why my breast slices won't stay nicely on the breast bone as shown in the recipe photo ... I carved as close to the bone as possible whereas they carved shallow for photo op!
If I may say so, my days of automatically cooking every turkey in the egg are over.

Also cooked prime rib roasts and tandoori chicken.  Sides were sous vide carrots, roast potatoes, salad, muffings

For this dinner we had to deploy the kitchen box and almost all my toys. I need help with my addiction!
DIY sous vide for turkey leg roulade
Anova sous vide for carotsI 
XL BGE for prime rib roasts 
Tandoor for tandoori chicken and naan
Roaster oven for roast potatoes
Deep fryer to crisp up roulade
Vac sealer

Merry Christmas to all!
canuckland

Comments