Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CNN: Beef is awful for the climate.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/29/opinions/sutter-beef-suv-cliamte-two-degrees/index.html

Give me a freakin' break. The weannie should be put on a spit.
New Albany, Ohio 

Comments

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    WARNING: It's a long article. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Cow farts & BBQ smoke?  How dare you fat stupid Americans enjoy your planet destroying beef-filled diet!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    so, it's not true?  I thought it was a good article, didn't seem to me to push an agenda, just an interesting story following the production of beef.  the only thing I thought was silly was his drama over how eating 'that much beef' made him feel.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Quite a read and "with enough numbers you can make a case for anything."  Doubt it will get much stand-alone traction but with the way fringe causes capture main-stream media even for a few minutes, you never know on a slow news day. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    you guys crack me up.  fringe causes, sheesh. it's a consumption thing, kind of refreshing to me since the focus usually on fossil fuels.  I thought it was good to see the cradle to grave approach, not just one slice of it.  I would love to see an article on the economics and footprint of ethanol production in a similar way since most of the time you just hear about how 'clean' it is.

eat all the beef you want, drive as far as you want to buy it.  he's not telling you not to, just providing info to help you make choices if you so choose.  you know, like your doctor does.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Legume said:
    so, it's not true?  I thought it was a good article, didn't seem to me to push an agenda, just an interesting story following the production of beef.  the only thing I thought was silly was his drama over how eating 'that much beef' made him feel.
    Ya, he ate 0.66 oz.  Man how many of us have done that just tasting a brisket as we are cutting it.  The guy is a wimp.  I didn't read the whole thing, but what I read made me not like the article and think he already had a predetermined idea of what he was going to write.  

Kansas City used to be known for beef where the west bottom's cattle yard was, but has been gone a long time.  I remember cattle lots all over where I grew up as a kid, now I don't seem them anymore.  To me less people are eating beef, because they are told it is unhealthy for you to eat it and it is expensive.  Great, more for me.  

This will not stop me from eating beef or cooking it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited September 2015
    OK, it is a semi-silly Op-Ed piece. Goodness. It has to explain what a ruminant is.

If you want a better handle on "greenhouse" gases, spend some time grazing on this site. Specifically, this page, which talks about methane sources as does the CNN article. You will note that somehow ruminants, that is, animals humans raise for food and clothing, are no longer considered a natural emitter. Hmmm, now that the buffalo are gone, whose numbers were probably greater in No. Am., and which were far larger, we are worrying about raising other ruminants?

Ya' wanna reduce methane emissions? Drain all those D___ wetlands and stop a 1/3rd of the planets population from depending on rice.

I have to stop before sarcasm gets the better of me.

To re-iterate what I pointed to a few days ago, green house gases are not the big problem. They are just icing on the cake. The real problem is humans are introducing more energy into the place they live than the planet can throw off into space. Every bit of air and water is going to heat up. Continue the current trends, everything we can live with dies in a couple of hundred years.

Thanks for letting me, a tree hugging fool since the age of six, and an Egger 'cause it seems like a real earth respecting tool, to ramble on.

Ooops, had to do a quick edit. At this point, any beef not sold in America will be sold somewhere on the other side of the Pacific, prob'ly at a better profit than here. 20 or 30 years ago, there was a spike in butter costs, and ice cream supplies dropped here in Indiana. The local new readers said it was because of a sudden  shortage of butter fat. Took me a couple of years to find a reference, but what had happened was that the US had been been producing a very large amount of milk fat, but had been running a trade deficit over rock fat, aka oil. So, US trans-national agri-businesses took the surplus production created by subsidies to sell abroad (to vegetarians like the Indians) to help balance the trade imbalance. Since then, whenever I read that something subsidized by agricultural policy should not be eaten, I have to wonder why that is, really.
  • lousubcap said:
    Quite a read and "with enough numbers you can make a case for anything."  Doubt it will get much stand-alone traction but with the way fringe causes capture main-stream media even for a few minutes, you never know on a slow news day. 

Reminds me of one of my favorite Simpsons episodes (Homer the Vigilante):

Kent Brockeman: "Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charges that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down eighty percent, while heavy sack-beatings are up a shocking nine hundred percent?"

Homer: "Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forty percent of all people know that."

Indianapolis, IN
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Or, as Yogi said, 90% is half mental.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited September 2015
    68% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Guess what the plan is to feed the cows to cut down on those emissions.......charcoal.

Charcoal powder is already used as an additive in poultry feed to aid digestion.  Then even more can be added to the litter to help it retain the nitrogen  when they sell it as fertilizer.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @stlcharcoal - I would say you gotta be $hittin' me- but somehow coming from you I can believe it.  Wonder how they figured that out...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
     I can see it now - RO branded beef, oven ready, the smokey flavor and voc's are on the inside!
  • Also, in Gore’s Dec. 10, 2007 “Earth has a fever” speech, Gore referred to a prediction by U.S. climate scientist Wieslaw Maslowski that the Arctic’s summer ice could “completely disappear” by 2013 due to global warming caused by carbon emissions.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Well, since beef is bad for the climate, shouldn't we eat it as quickly as we can!  And I was gonna do fish tacos!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    bgebrent said:
    Well, since beef is bad for the climate, shouldn't we eat it as quickly as we can!  And I was gonna do fish tacos!
    Precisely. The more cows we eat, the less there are to produce excessive flatulence. The vegetarians need to pay a tax for not doing there fair share. We must be vigilant to counter India. I'm not sure there shouldn't be a federal program that rewards us "green" beef eaters at tax time. Say a 100% pay back up to say, the first 2000? What say you?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Billions of people are bad for the climate.  Cows just want to graze.
    You lost me at CNN...
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Billions of people are bad for the climate.  Cows just want to graze.
    .....and fart. Don't forget farting.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/dining/anthony-bourdain-market-pier-57.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

While we've got links going from news sources that people denigrate; this sounds like it would be pretty amazing.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I want to do my part to save the planet.... From this day forward I promise to eat more of those earth destroying cows....I will now eat a side of beef each grilling season. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    ryantt said:
    I want to do my part to save the planet.... From this day forward I promise to eat more of those earth destroying cows....I will now eat a side of beef each grilling season. 

Lucky for us "eggers", there is no such thing as "grilling season" :)
  • Legume
    Great article @Acn looking forward to seeing that take shape.
  • Billions of people are bad for the climate.  Cows just want to graze.

Clearly the solution is to start eating people.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I guess I should feel bad about the huge porterhouses I am throwing on the grill tonight. Ok, I am over it. This bravo Sierra is the result of a slow news day.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2015
    You lost me at CNN...

FoxNews.com

Eating Less Meat May Slow Global Warming, Study Finds
    . . .

Eating less meat could help slow global warming by reducing the number of livestock and thereby decreasing the amount of methane flatulence from the animals, scientists said on Thursday.

In a special energy and health series of the medical journal The Lancet, experts said people should eat fewer steaks and hamburgers. Reducing global red meat consumption by 10 percent, they said, would cut the gases emitted by cows, sheep and goats that contribute to global warming.

"We are at a significant tipping point," said Geri Brewster, a nutritionist at Northern Westchester Hospital in New York, who was not connected to the study.

"If people knew that they were threatening the environment by eating more meat, they might think twice before ordering a burger," Brewster said.

Other ways of reducing greenhouse gases from farming practices, like feeding animals higher-quality grains, would only have a limited impact on cutting emissions. Gases from animals destined for dinner plates account for nearly a quarter of all emissions worldwide.

"That leaves reducing demand for meat as the only real option," said Dr. John Powles, a public health expert at Cambridge University, one of the study's authors.

The amount of meat eaten varies considerably worldwide. In developed countries, people typically eat about 224 grams per day. But in Africa, most people only get about 31 grams a day.

With demand for meat increasing worldwide, experts worry that this increased livestock production will mean more gases like methane and nitrous oxide heating up the atmosphere. In China, for instance, people are eating double the amount of meat they used to a decade ago.

Powles said that if the global average were 90 grams per day, that would prevent the levels of gases from speeding up climate change.

Eating less red meat would also improve health in general. Powles and his co-authors estimate that reducing meat consumption would reduce the numbers of people with heart disease and cancer. One study has estimated that the risk of colorectal cancer drops by about a third for every 100 grams of red meat that is cut out of your diet.

"As a society, we are overconsuming protein," Brewster said. "If we ate less red meat, it would also help stop the obesity epidemic."

Experts said that it would probably take decades to wane the public off of its meat-eating tendency. "We need to better understand the implications of our diet," said Dr. Maria Neira, director of director of the World Health Organization's department of public health and the environment.

"It is an interesting theory that needs to be further examined," she said. "But eating less meat could definitely be one way to reduce gas emissions and climate change."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/09/13/eating-less-meat-may-slow-global-warming-study-finds.html

Better?

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns