Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CNN: Beef is awful for the climate.

Options

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    henapple said:
    Wow.  I started to read this but my eyes were drawn to the title of another blog entry on that site - the one that says the holocaust started with gun control after a shooting.  just wow.  I have no opinion on the climate thing, I'm sure they've been wrong, or historically wrong as that discipline has continued to evolve and get better methods, but the holocaust blog just left me gobsmacked.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    This scientist approaches climate change in a way that the deniers and the alarmists both should be able to agree on. His book "Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming" is fascinating. 

Www.lomborg.com

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    This scientist approaches climate change in a way that the deniers and the alarmists both should be able to agree on. His book "Cool It: The Skeptical Environmentalist's Guide to Global Warming" is fascinating. 

Www.lomborg.com
    Bjorn isn't a climate scientist.  I believe all of his degrees are in political science.

I don't mean to suggest that his background necessarily means he's wrong about stuff.  I just don't know why anyone should pay attention to his opinion.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    notice it points left
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Legume
    Options
    that's all perspective - if you're coming from the other direction...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The demographic - self identified conservative republicans - seem to be marching to their own drummer.  

54% believe Obummer is a muslim.
    40% believe Ted Cruz was born in Merica
    61% believe Obummer was not born in Merica
    59% don't believe 98% of climatologists 
    70% don't believe human activity changes climate
    40% don't believe homo sapiens evolved

All this despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.   Oh, the world is a giant conspiracy!

Options
    90% of Americans believe in God. 
    85% of Democrats believe in God
    75% of Democrats believe Obama is god 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Why do climatologists predict occurrences 25 years out?
    Why have their predictions 25 years ago been off target?

Does the climate change? Yes 
    Will it change next year? Possibly 
    Is a computer model accurate? Sometimes

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    henapple said:
    90% of Americans believe in God. 
    85% of Democrats believe in God
    75% of Democrats believe Obama is god 

Hmmm, you post that both the totality of Americans believing in the Supreme and those believing Obama is the same is within 1 standard deviation. Numerically, there is no appreciable difference.
  • Legume
    Options
    No, you would need to know what % of Americans are Dems.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    The demographic - self identified conservative republicans - seem to be marching to their own drummer.  

54% believe Obummer is a muslim.
    40% believe Ted Cruz was born in Merica
    61% believe Obummer was not born in Merica
    59% don't believe 98% of climatologists 
    70% don't believe human activity changes climate
    40% don't believe homo sapiens evolved

All this despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.   Oh, the world is a giant conspiracy!

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/05/jeremiah-wright-i-made-it-comfortable-for-obama-to-accept-christianity-without-having-to-renounce-islam/

Klein asked Wright if he converted Obama from being a Muslim into a Christian.

“He said, I don’t know about that. but I can tell you that I made it easy for him to come to an understanding of who Jesus Christ is and not feel that he was turning his back on his Islamic friends and his Islamic traditions and his understanding of Islam,” Klein says.

Obama a Christian? Could have fooled me with all his foreign policy decisions.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Woot! Woot! It's Friday, mutherscratchers!
  • henapple
    Options
    We'll be paying for Obama for a long time... 
  • henapple
    Options
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I gotta stop reading this thread. We've all produced enough bull gas to drive up a low and slow cook to burnt.

Please, look up exponential growth. And/or doubling rate, or the rule of 72. I haven't practiced math for ages, but its not too hard to understand. (FWIW, current economic is super-exponential, and the curve goes asymptotic around 2050 +/- 10 yrs.)

Unless it can be proven that human economic/energy growth has zero impact on the earth's surface in adding heat, the measured rates of growth mean the smallest hazard has been skidding towards disaster for centuries. That's because human energy use has been exponential, w. the added side effect of increased gas production that reduces Terra's ability to radiate IR away. 
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    ksmyrl said:

Www.lomborg.com
    Bjorn isn't a climate scientist.  I believe all of his degrees are in political science.

I don't mean to suggest that his background necessarily means he's wrong about stuff.  I just don't know why anyone should pay attention to his opinion.
    I'm not disputing his degrees but I will ask respectfully...have you read his stuff? He has done decades of research  (which you don't have to be a scientist to do) and has come up with real world solutions that will make a much bigger difference at a fraction of the costs. The real answer, as with anything, is in the middle. 

I've quoted my dad on here many times. My favorite quote of his is "it's incredibly naive to assume one political party (or person) is right 100% of the time".

• henapple
    Options
    Don't doubt @JohnInCarolina... He stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.... With Caitlyn 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Lol!!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    henapple said:
    We'll be paying for Obama for a long time... 
    I haven't been a huge fan of his presidency, but nothing he has done during his 2 terms thus far will do more damage than Bush invading Iraq for absolutely no reason.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    ksmyrl said:

Www.lomborg.com

I'm not disputing his degrees but I will ask respectfully...have you read his stuff? He has done decades of research  (which you don't have to be a scientist to do) and has come up with real world solutions that will make a much bigger difference at a fraction of the costs. The real answer, as with anything, is in the middle. 

I've quoted my dad on here many times. My favorite quote of his is "it's incredibly naive to assume one political party (or person) is right 100% of the time".
    Yes I've read his work, and it's fluff.  There's not a whole lot of science or analysis behind his claims.  Political party is irrelevant here.

And to be clear, when it comes to science, the answer isn't always in the "middle."  Some folks are just wrong.  That's why we're not still debating with people who maintain that the Earth is actually flat.
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Wasn't is "science" that claimed the earth was flat all those years ago?

• nolaegghead
    Options
    There's nothing to debate.  We're stewing in our waste gases - it's like pissing in the pool.  Cutting down on emissions creates new technology, growth opportunities for businesses, and jobs.  Everyone has to be on board though.  China even agreed.  The US is the only major country that didn't ratify the Kyoto protocol, thanks to lobbyists promoting anti-science conspiracy.  

I'm all for pulling crude out of the ground, but we should be making plastic with it, not burning it.  Plastic is a great construction material.  Once you burn it, it's gone forever.
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ^^^ :rofl: 
    Yea, 600 years ago.
    But it was consensus then.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Science is irrefutable until it's refuted.  However, to operate in ignorance of science is equivalent to driving blind.  There is plenty of good, peer reviewed science available to allow a thoughtful individual to come to an informed decision about climate change.  News outlets are not peer reviewed.  Scrutinize your source and then read ten more.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited October 2015
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    That's how the scientific method generally works.  Over time, the theories that best explain the facts and evidence are the ones that survive in the scientific community.  

What you won't find at present are too many scientists embracing Lomborg's point of view.  Of course it is possible that will change with time.  But his lack of use of facts and evidence in support of his claims doesn't suggest that this is likely.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    Since you put quotes around it, you are correct.