Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: what are you reading now?

Cookbook_Chip
Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
edited July 2015 in Off Topic
Lots of smart folks on the forum...  Any readers?  Just finished "The Martian" and it was funny and a great read!  Also going thru Dr BBQs "Flavorize" with some nice ideas I gotta try. 
Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes

Comments

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I'm re-reading the lords of discipline by pat conroy.  If you love beautiful prose and great story telling do yourself a favor and read some of his books.  You won't be disappointed. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    I'm re-reading the lords of discipline by pat conroy.  If you love beautiful prose and great story telling do yourself a favor and read some of his books.  You won't be disappointed. 
    Big Conroy fan. Have you read his cookbook?  It's really good. 
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Foxfire series again
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Death in the Afternoon  - Ernest Hemingway
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I read mostly crap, but a lot of it. 

Right now, Greg Iles "the bone tree"
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    UPS just delivered our "Go set a watchman" that I had preordered months ago.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Big Conroy fan. Have you read his cookbook?  It's really good. 
    His cookbook is actually the only thing of his I haven't read. I need to pick up a copy! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The History of the Standard Oil Company.-Ida Tarbell. 
    Im a huge history buff. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    edited July 2015
    The Accidental Superpower, by Peter Zeihan.  Probably the most fascinating book I've read in ten years.  Blends history, geography, economics, demographics, science, religion, fracking, global warming, transportation, and a whole bunch of seemingly unrelated topics to explain how the U.S. has done so well, and even more happily, how we will do even better in the near future (his predictions of the near-future of other nations is even more fascinating).  I will be re-reading this one within the year; Excellent!    

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    SGH said:
    Im a huge history buff. 
    Interesting. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Jeremiah said:
    SGH said:
    Im a huge history buff. 
    Interesting. 
    I love history in general because it is true events be they good or bad. While there is some great works of fiction out there, to me it doesn't compare to real historical or present events. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    SGH said:
    Jeremiah said:
    SGH said:
    Im a huge history buff. 
    Interesting. 
    I love history in general because it is true events be they good or bad. While there is some great works of fiction out there, to me it doesn't compare to real historical or present events. 
    Agreed. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Got two going right now.....Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly and Ben Hogan, An American Life by James Dodson.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    I honestly don't get to read much for fun anymore, always have a few books I have to read. Currently I'm rereading  Strange Fire, Systematic Theology by Berkhof, and just finishing Whatever Happened to the Gospel of Grace by James Montgomery Boice 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm reading Snow Crash right now.  Just finished Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust.
    edited July 2015
    Just finished The Wright Brothers. The bike mechanic brothers take a shine to the idea of flight, develop and fabricate their own airplanes, including engines and props, and figure out the mystery of flight control. Basically on a shoestring budget in their bikeshop and backyard! 

Moved on to Empire of the Summer Moon about Comanche Indians. They were some kind of brutal tough!
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Dad Is Fat by Jim Gaffigan, we're expecting are first in November and my wife thought it was a good book to prepare me. Pretty funny insights on kids. 
  • n00b
    n00b Posts: 35
    Lots of smart folks on the forum...  Any readers?  Just finished "The Martian" and it was funny and a great read!  Also going thru Dr BBQs "Flavorize" with some nice ideas I gotta try. 
    i just started the martian.  enjoyable so far.

i just finished the wayward pines triology. overall, i thought it was solid. there were a few things that really annoyed me towards the end of the third book that i could get in to but don't want to risk ruining it for anyone watching the show.

also, somewhat related - amazon has amazing deals on kindles today. 30-40 off
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited July 2015
    Crow Killer: The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson by Raymond W. Thorp Jr.
    True story of John Johnson whose story inspired the Redford movie "Jeremiah Johnson" - which is fascinating. 
    Most of what I read is historical novels.  This one is amazing and is a quick reminder of just how soft we've become as a nation.

Just finished Bedford Forrest and His Critter Company by Andrew Nelson Lytle
    If you have any interest in historical figures this is for you.  True story of an incredible military mind who was 100 years ahead of his time.  

Guess they're not for the politically correct but I never had much time for that sh!t anyway.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Just finished The Wright Brothers. The bike mechanic brothers take a shine to the idea of flight, develop and fabricate their own airplanes, including engines and props, and figure out the mystery of flight control. Basically on a shoestring budget in their bikeshop and backyard! 

Moved on to Empire of the Summer Moon about Comanche Indians. They were some kind of brutal tough!
    Read the Wright Brothers just before The Martian.  Man- cool story!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Anyone reading Harper Lee's new one "Go Set A Watchman"??  Curious....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom.   

When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family.

Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin.

Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk.

The Kitchen House is a tragic story of page-turning suspense, exploring the meaning of family, where love and loyalty prevail.

BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The Terrorists of Iraq.

Malcolm Nance is a fantastically interesting author and person.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Anyone reading Harper Lee's new one "Go Set A Watchman"??  Curious....
    Like I posted here last night UPS just delivered our copy late yesterday and since I bought it as a surprise for my wife who used to teach TKAM in high school she has first dibs.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Mostly bills.....my daughter recently go married. :o
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    "Zero to One"  . . by Peter Thiel
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Legume said:
    Eggheadforum
    I knew I'd see this!  Was going to add to the starter post "I know y'all can read since the forum is right here- unless you come just for the pictures..."
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Accidental Superpower looks interesting, $14.95 for the Kindle version, that's... unusual. I'm reading The Shack Revisited right now, about the theology behind The Shack. Great book so far, about 25% through it.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX