Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon wrapped Snickers

Options
Why not?

Started with two Snickers bars that had been in the freezer for 24+ hours

Wrapped with bacon that had been precooked for a few minutes and put in the refrigerator to cool

On the egg, raised direct 375-400*

Cooked for about 15 minutes, turning a couple of times to get the bacon crisp on all sides

Pulled and let cool for 5 minutes before eating. All-in-all, not too bad! The chocolate had melted (but was held in by the bacon) and the nougat, caramel and peanuts was intact, warm and delicious!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    What do you mean not too bad!!! Sounds and looks insane!!!!! 

XLBGE 
  • toothologist
    Options
    This is what living in America is all about. 
    "Quality and convenience are rarely seen walking hand in hand."- Alton Brown
    LBGE
    Northwest TN
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    What do you mean not too bad!!! Sounds and looks insane!!!!! 
    I said that because Mrs. TOTN likes her bacon very crisp; so, see was not overly impressed with the final product. These could probably have been cooked another 5 minutes to get the bacon more done.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Sounds fantastic.  Based on what you wrote, perhaps precook the bacon a bit more as well?  

For the cook, is it a "do over" or a "once and done, do not need to do that again"?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Gotcha boss man. I don't mind a little chew to the fat but I think In this application crispy would be more better. 

XLBGE 
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    That is off the hook. Well done!
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Sounds fantastic.  Based on what you wrote, perhaps precook the bacon a bit more as well?  

For the cook, is it a "do over" or a "once and done, do not need to do that again"?
    I've still got 2 more snickers bars in the freezer.  =)

I had intended to use the smaller, bite-sized bars but, all I could find at the store where the size I used and the ones that are just little cubes (for lack of a better way to describe them). The larger bars took three pieces of bacon to wrap (one length-wise with two more pieces spiraled over that). I think the smaller bars could be done with less bacon; that might crisp up better.
    Options
    Great idea! Two of my favorite things I will have to try it.
  • Eggingaround
    Eggingaround Posts: 357
    Options
    That looks SO good! Gonna put that on the to-do list
    Mckinney, TX
    LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
    Mini Max
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Oh my, drooling here!
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    TexanOfTheNorth said:
    Sea2Ski said:

I had intended to use the smaller, bite-sized bars but, all I could find at the store where the size I used and the ones that are just little cubes (for lack of a better way to describe them). The larger bars took three pieces of bacon to wrap (one length-wise with two more pieces spiraled over that). I think the smaller bars could be done with less bacon; that might crisp up better.
    Very impressive - looks like something I'd see at the CNE! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    bweekes said:
    TexanOfTheNorth said:
    Sea2Ski said:

Very impressive - looks like something I'd see at the CNE! 
    Thanks! More likely fried Snickers, which we do from time to time, at the CNE. I wanted to see if it would work on the egg.
    Options
    We have dipped bacon into chocolate, which is great, but not bacon wrapped snickers. That looks good! 
  • biggreenrob
    biggreenrob Posts: 194
    Options
    Whoa. Nicely done! Well, I know what candy I will be buying for Halloween this year.  If I am going to get stuck with so much left over candy, I may as well wrap it in bacon and have at it. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE | DigiQ | SW Cap | KAB | iGrill2 | CI PS | PSWoo2 | HQ Grid | Extender
    Mini Max | PartyQ | KAB | CGW 2-Tier (Mod) | Woo w/Stone | SW Cap (mod) | CI13 
  • Jackh
    Jackh Posts: 109
    Options
    Could you cut the bars in 2 before freezing?
    Lg&Sm ---Middleport NY
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just 1 more reason why I love this forum.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Im at a loss for words brother of the North. Just accept this.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Fair Food at its finest. Deep fry it and I'll call dub you CarnyTexanOfTheNorth :lol: 
    Nice work
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    That is pretty much maximum overdrive on both the sweet and salty front. I have used Snickers or Caramilk bars in ABT's, filled the pepper half with the candy bar and wrapped with bacon, dusted with PH or some sugar based rub. A cheapy version of Henapple's MPDs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Jackh said:
    Could you cut the bars in 2 before freezing?
    Yes.
    Options
    "The bacon on my bacon wrapped frozen snickers bars wasn't quite crispy enough"

We now have the precise definition to "first world problem".

Well done, looks great, and hats off for trying it!
    Phoenix 
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options

Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Put these on my list !!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• onward_2_victory
    Options
    I've gotta give you points for innovation and experimentation if nothing else.  Love Snickers, love bacon, why not try them together?  Nicely done!
    Todd - Smoking on my LBGE in Elkridge, MD

GO IRISH!  Onward to Victory!
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Next thing we know TOTN will develop a Bacon Smores Treat !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother of the North, if I ever get the honor of meeting you, I'm expecting lobsters and bacon wrapped snickers ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    If I'm gonna eat something that unhealthy. I at least want it to taste better than "not too bad".
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    dldawes1 said:
    Next thing we know TOTN will develop a Bacon Smores Treat !!!
    hmmm... :pensive: 
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    If I'm gonna eat something that unhealthy. I at least want it to taste better than "not too bad".
    I here ya Tiger! I did explain above that I rated these "not too bad" as a result of Mrs. TOTN's feedback. I always try to give due consideration to her opinion. For me they were f***ing delicious!
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    I here ya Tiger! I did explain above that I rated these "not too bad" as a result of Mrs. TOTN's feedback. I always try to give due consideration to her opinion. For me they were f***ing delicious!
    Ah ha! Okay then I'll take two. :)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans