Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody have a good Beef tenderloin recipe?

Options
would appreciate any suggestions

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Is your tenderloin whole or cut up?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

Here's my favorite.  It tastes great and is fun for a party.

http://food52.com/recipes/18568-steven-raichlen-s-salt-crusted-beef-tenderloin-grilled-in-cloth-lomo-al-trapo

Just be aware that the temperature rises about 15 degress after you take it off because the burning shirt and hot salt have some heat.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Use Adam Perry Lang's:

To put it simply: it's off the chain.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Easily one of the best tasting things I've made on my BGE.  As far as APL recipes go, it's one of the simpler ones to boot.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌ that's on my Christmas list!
  • DixieEGG
    Options

I have been doing whole beef tenderloins for the past few years at Christmas and was an instant hit.  VERY simple.  I take whole peppercorns and crack them old school by putting in a baggie and cracking with a meat mallet or rolling pin.  It can even be therapeutic sometimes, is a bit of work but oh well.  Liberally rub the outside of the tenderloin with the pepper and then add kosher salt (of course not as liberal as the pepper). 

As for cooking, I have never done one on the egg, but it really wouldn't be any different in terms of how its cooked, just wood flavoring preference.  Mine has always been done directly over mesquite coals.  I'm sorry, but in my opinion, beef cooked over open mesquite flame is tough to beat.  I couldn't tell you the temp at the cooking surface as I just get my wood burned down to some nice hot coals and here come the tenderloins.  On my pit where I do this, the cooking rack is usually up about 12-14" up off the coals and in case you aren't aware, mesquite burns HOT!  Anyway, basically sear them on 4 sides to get a good even cook.  If I get a good sear all the way around and internal temps aren't there, I just keep rolling them around until there.  Keep checking temps and when the center of largest portion is 135 they come off to rest.  You will have some rare/medium rare in the center and then all the way out to well done if ends are tapered like they usually are.  This typically gives everyone an option, at least in my family. 

Rarest portions that just a few eat, well, those are good as leftovers since you can heat up and still not overcook!  The mesquite flavor is awesome, and the wife's horseradish cream sauce is a nice compliment if putting on a sandwich/roll.  That is usually day 2, as I just love mine sliced and served straight up when hot off the grill!

• DixieEGG
    Options
    TYPO there, sorry didn't proof read...125 internal temp if you want it rare/medium rare in center.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2014
    Options

This works on the egg. Substitute puff pastry sheets for the crepes.

( http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/beef_wellington_22208 )

Steve 

Caledon, ON