Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin (APL recipe) - Looking for Tips

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
This will be my first beef tenderloin on the large BGE.  I'll be cooking it tomorrow for Easter dinner (no pressure!)  I'm going to give the recipe from Serious BBQ a shot:

It calls for a 5-lb tenderloin but all the store had was a 7-lb one.  Man it wasn't cheap!  "On sale" for $70.  

Anyway, around Christmas a friend of mine tried this recipe, and even though he doesn't have an Egg he said it was amazing.  So I've wanted to try it for awhile.  Placed against some of the other APL recipes I've done, it actually looks pretty easy.  

My main question is what wood I should use with the beef tenderloin?  It's not going to be on the Egg too long, so it may not make a difference unless I use something really strong.   I think I will start it direct to sear it, then throw the placesetter on to lower the temps and finish it indirect. 

If any of the rest of you clowns has advice here, I'm all ears :)  Thanks in advance!
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    This clown likes oak with red meat. I have to ask why your not reverse searing it? Seems that reverse sear has the better c.hance of soaking in some smoke?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I am making it now. I'll update how it goes

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I really like oak with beef, but for some reason with tenderloin I'm thinking cherry.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I really like mesquite on beef, FWIW. Only meat I'll use it on. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    grege345 said:
    This clown likes oak with red meat. I have to ask why your not reverse searing it? Seems that reverse sear has the better c.hance of soaking in some smoke?
    Not a bad call- I could give that a try.  My question would be what temp to start the sear at?  I'd like to finish it at medium.  I prefer medium-rare, but that would be undercooked for some of the people at the dinner.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DMW said:
    I really like mesquite on beef, FWIW. Only meat I'll use it on. 
    I agree.  Too strong for just about anything else, but it works really well with beef.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Went w mesquite and cherry. This was phenomenal. I'll have pics a bit later tonight.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Here we go...

imageimage
  • grege345
    Options
    Ya that looks killer!!! What temp did you pull it off?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Pulled around 125
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Hot damn that looks perfect.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You nailed it bro!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Taste was phenomenal - melt in your mouth good. If you have the means, I highly recommend the recipe.
  • grege345
    Options
    Did you stick to the recipe pretty close? I want to do this soon. How did the herb spoon work?

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    grege345 said:

Did you stick to the recipe pretty close? I want to do this soon. How did the herb spoon work?

Almost. I didn't sear it quite as long - just two minutes on each side. I also had a slightly bigger hunk of meat - about 7 lbs. So it took quite a bit longer to cook - about an hour total. The herb spoon works OK - it's kind of falling apart toward the end.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That's some beautiful beef!
    NOLA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Here we go...

imageimage

That looks perfect, nicely done.

APL's board dressing technique is flawless.  Don't be afraid to run all of the pieces through it before serving.  I usually skip the herb brush step, due to cost, availabilty, and a little laziness.

Some whine about the extra steps in his recipes, but he has so many techniques that change the way you serve any protein.    

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    Looks incredible
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    "Home run" doesn't do that justice. That's a bases clearing Grand Slam!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Nicely done!! You can't go wrong with an APL recipe if you have the time, patience & stamina. You hit it out of the park.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Focker said:
      I usually skip the herb brush step, due to cost, availabilty, and a little laziness.

I tried the herb brush for the first time the other night (I usually skip it for the same reasons), but I think it made a difference.  I won't do it every time, but if I'm showing off or cooking for a group, I think it's worth the effort.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    jfm0830 said:
    Nicely done!! You can't go wrong with an APL recipe if you have the time, patience & stamina. You hit it out of the park.
    Thanks Jim - that means a lot coming from you.  

Honestly this is one of the easier APL recipes.  Whole thing probably takes a couple of hours start to finish, and probably can be done inside of an hour with a small enough tenderloin. 

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    That looks amazing!  I cant wait to try one of APL's board dressing . . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • robnybbq
    Options

Garnerville, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌... Hot Damn! That looks like some good eats right there! Nicely done Sir!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    Making this tomorrow for Mothers day.  I can't decide if I should sear first, then let the egg cool and roast after that, or do a reverse sear.  I was surprised when APL said to use two zone cooking, I thought he was an egg guy!  :)

How did you set up your cook?
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I did mine by searing on cast iron on the spider then cooking it the rest of the way on the top level of the adjustable rig. His recipe is awesome

Garnerville, NY
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Making this tomorrow for Mothers day.  I can't decide if I should sear first, then let the egg cool and roast after that, or do a reverse sear.  I was surprised when APL said to use two zone cooking, I thought he was an egg guy!  :)

How did you set up your cook?
    I seared it first then dropped the PS in - seemed to work just fine. Probably the best thing I've cooked so far on the Egg. Good luck!

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    I have the AR so will probably go with searing on the spider first.  So I was thinking of bringing the egg up to 500 for the sear, then pull and drop the temp to 350 for the finish.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

I have the AR so will probably go with searing on the spider first.  So I was thinking of bringing the egg up to 500 for the sear, then pull and drop the temp to 350 for the finish.

I don't have an AR ( next purchase!) myself but my concern would be the time it might take to cool down the Egg to 350 after it gets that hot. What's nice about the PS is that it's a decent sized heat sink.