Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK - I'll admit it - I don't like pumpkin pie!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
A few years ago I stood up and admitted this! I don't know why and I'm cool with traditions and all that - but I just don't like it! 

Then a sweet neighbor lady of ours who knew my destain served me a delicious substitute and gave me the recipe and I have never looked back! 

Granted it takes longer to fix but well worth the effort! Want the recipe?
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes please. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I like it once a year.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    Options
    Yes please. :)

THANKSGIVING PUMPKIN DESSERT

(originally a recipe from our dear neighbor Jan McCarty, but altered to our tastes)

CRUST:

1 cup flour

1 stick butter

½ cup chopped pecans

2ND LAYER:

1 8oz pkg softened Philly cream cheese

1 cup powdered sugar

3rd LAYER

1.5 cup pumpkin pie filling

2 tea ground cinnamon

2 boxes Vanilla Instant Pudding

1.5 cup milk (if 1% then use 1.25 of 1% plus .25 of H&H)

4th LAYER

Cool Whip – about 4 oz needed

CRUST: Soften butter in M/W for 15 sec @ 70% and mix with flour and pecans. Pat mixture into 1 9x13 pan or 2 9x6 disposable pans. Bake at 325 for 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool

2nd LAYER: *

Soften cream cheese in M/W for 15 sec @ 70%. Mix ingredients together well and spread evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

* actually this is a REAL bear to do, but over the years I have learned I have learned it is well worth the time to do it this way…use a spoon and a spatula at the same time and drop on “dots” of this mixture on that crust as the crust is tender and will break up. Keep adding the dots and then gently connect the dots and spread them into a a uniform layer so it wont break the crust.

3rd LAYER: Mix ingredients together well and spread over 2nd layer. 

4th LAYER: Cover entire dessert with Cool Whip 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Ron....don't hold out on us

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Going to give it a try for sure. For the record: Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I don't like it eather
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I don't like store bought pumpkin pie, but the Mrs. Makes one I love.
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Add me to the list. I can't stand pumpkin pie.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I read somewhere that you HATED it.  :D

I actually love pumpkin pie. It's instant pudding I'm not too wild about.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sounds good to me Ron. Thanks for the share.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Never been a fan... Now, pear pie, baked just like apple with raisins, is just silly good...

Of course all pie should be served with vanilla ice cream.

This year we are having Apple, pecan, and my MIL is making a pumpkin pie because Elise likes it.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Hey looks good, almost like a pumpkin cheesecake?
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Don't care much for pumpkin pie either. But I do like sweet potatoe pie.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Sweet potato pie (especially with pecans) is the best!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That sounds good to me. I'm not a fan of pumpkin pie either, although I do like a good pumpkin ale. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    No pumpkin or sweet potato desserts for me thanks...Unless pumpkin ale - that doesn't taste very pumkiny - counts. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I really don't like pumpkin period.  Don't need it in pie, don't need messing up my beer, and if I drank coffee I'm sure I'd consider the pumpkin spice latte to be a crime against humanity.  I'll be happy if tomrrow people go for pumpkin pie, just leaves more pecan and coconut cream pie available for me.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    hapster said:

Never been a fan... Now, pear pie, baked just like apple with raisins, is just silly good...

@hapster - Hap, that sounds like something I would like! If you don't mind sharing a bit, would you give me some tips? Like what kind of pears or is it a mix? Do they have to be peeled? I've never peeled a pear before!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    You people are weird.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    @hapster - Hap, that sounds like something I would like! If you don't mind sharing a bit, would you give me some tips? Like what kind of pears or is it a mix? Do they have to be peeled? I've never peeled a pear before!
    I think my mom used Bosch pears and they were not peeled, peeling is up to you... Basically follow your favorite apple pie recipe and just sub pears for the apples. Just make sure they're ripe and that you have ice cream on hand when it comes out of the oven :)
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am not a big fan either my wife makes apple pie for Thanksgiving. @SGH is there anything that you don't like?  :-/

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sweet potato pie for me instead.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Give me buttermilk pie any day!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe @RRP‌. I'll be making this for tomorrow.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:
    A few years ago I stood up and admitted this! I don't know why and I'm cool with traditions and all that - but I just don't like it! 

Then a sweet neighbor lady of ours who knew my destain served me a delicious substitute and gave me the recipe and I have never looked back! 

Granted it takes longer to fix but well worth the effort! Want the recipe?
    Oh pretty please give us the recipe. I am holding my breath to find out the ONE pumpkin pie recipe on Earth that now makes you like pumpkin pie.
  • RRP
    Options
    Give it a break, Gene
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    @RRP‌, can I use 2% milk?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    RRP said:
    Give it a break, Gene
    Happy Thanksgiving Ron!
  • RRP
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    @RRP‌, can I use 2% milk?
    Of course you can! I just have been off 2% milk for health reasons for years and only have 1% on hand but like to goose it up with half & half for this recipe...heck sometimes I've even used whipping cream with that 1%.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    The MIL made something similar as a test run a couple of weeks ago. Pretty good. Still rather have sweet potato or buttermilk pie