Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SiFirst timer - Sirloin Steaks

Options
First timer here! I've picked up some Sirloins...  Please tell me the best way to cook these on the egg!
Egg Newbie (purchased 11/14)
Large Egg

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited November 2014
    Options
    you will get a whole bunch of answers to that question and they'll all be different. It really depends on you and what you're comfortable with. For really thick cuts, T Rex method works well for me. I've tried to reverse sear and it got away from me and I wound up with a charred mess! A CI skillet works well for searing.... on and on. I would advise doing some searches here and Naked Whiz site and decide what you are up for. I'm sure others will chime in as this is a great, helpful bunch of folks and you'll get better answers than what I'm able to provide, but be prepared for lots of different answers and know that you will need to do a little searching on each method to decide on your own.

Most importantly, document what ever you do. Note what was good and bad so you can tweak and replicate.

Welcome to the zoo. Sit back, relax and have fun.

Also, pics or it didn't happen!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome! Try a high heat sear cook if you like them rare. If you are a well done person, grill them at a lower temp, then increase temp and do a reverse sear to get that great bark. Experiment and enjoy!
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome. I don't make steaks often so I am no help.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options

Welcome aboard, this is my favorite way to cook steaks, when done properly you get a perfect same temp throughout steak. Have fun and post pics!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1165858/friday-night-hot-tub

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    Options
    I just finished two 1 1/2 inch reverse sear ribeyes and loved the results.  Reverse sear is a little bit of a dance so practise removing a cold plate setter before dancing with a hot one.  I have a big piece of porcelain tile I put mine on just in front of the BGE on an air conditioner wooden cover.  So all I do wearing heavy leather gloves is pick it up and turn around and set it down.  Put the grate back on and sear it. Figure this all out before you do it.  Know where everything goes and practice it.  It is worth the dance.

Plenty of stuff on the internet so look around.  Happy learning
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    welcome aboard! - I'm normally reverse sear guy too. I cook them at 250 degrees or so until they are 125 internal temp and then I sear them either directly in the coals or on a cast iron grid lowered down very close to the coals.I try to finish them up around 135 degrees or so.

Lots a ways to cook a great steak on the egg so give a few ways a try and see which one you like.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned and I believe there are mixed feelings, but you may want to consider how hot you go on a brand new gasket.

Also, if you go much over 400-450 please remember to burp the egg!
  • laurelbeard
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned and I believe there are mixed feelings, but you may want to consider how hot you go on a brand new gasket.

Hi there! We got it going a two times to 350 as we read somewhere to not go over 350 the first few times so something can seal properly. Do you think it safe to go over 350 now?
    Large Egg
  • laurelbeard
    Options
    Thanks everyone! What a wealth of information! I appreciate it so much!
    Large Egg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome aboard ma'am. I cast my vote for reverse sear as well. I have always gotton excellent results using this method. Depending on your set up, it may be easier and more convieant for you to sear first and then roast to finish temp. I have done it this way as well with equally good results. Neither method is superior to the other. Usually one is more convieant than the other depending on what equipment is available. Both produce spectacular results. If I reverse sear, I roast between 200-250 until they are to my liking. Then pull and crank the heat up for the finishing sear. On the other hand, if you sear first, you are kind of stuck roasting at a little higher temp if you are using the same egg for both the roasting and searing. Why? The egg doesn't want to drop temp real fast. However the higher roasting temp does not affect the end quality at all. As of late I find myself cooking at higher and higher temps any way so this is not really a issue to me. Again welcome aboard and good luck. Will be standing by for the finale.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Cooking steaks directly over burning lump will result in a very typical backyard barbecue type steak, seared on the outside, a ring of well done surrounding the middle.

A reverse sear, as explained already gives you a steak that looks the same top to bottom, and mimics the steak house high temperature offering.

It's not hard, but it's a little involved. I didn't try it for months, but now I'll never cook a steak any other way.

Light your lump, not charcoal. 
    Put the platesetter on, legs up, with something to catch drippings on it if you want to keep it looking new for a few more days. (Before long you won't care, dark and dirty is how they get eventually)

I use a square cast iron drip pan from Ikea.

Grill on top of all that.

With the lid closed and vents wide open, look for the temperature to rise when the smoke clears.

Close the vents "almost" all the way, top and bottom when your dome thermometer gets to 250 or 300. I keep my bottom vent open about a pinky width, and half close the daisy wheel holes.

Your temp should stabilize around 250, 275... in that neighborhood. It takes a lot longer to reduce the temperature than it does to raise it, so be patient.

At 250 it should take about ten minutes to bring a 1" seasoned steak to 115 degrees. No guessing, use a thermometer. When you get to 115, pull it off, wrap it in (foil, towel, small cooler, tupperware, everyone has an opinion here. I use a little cooler because it keeps the steak warm)

Don't worry about the steak, it's happy and looking forward to the next step, just leave it alone. If it's cold where you are, bring it inside and then leave it alone. 

Pull the grate off, get that drip pan out of there, and remove the plate setter. Open your vents all the way, put the grate back on the fire ring and close the dome. Watch the temp, it will take off so don't go anywhere at this point. Drink your adult beverage and watch the dome temp like it was TV.

When you get to 500 or as much as 600 close the vents about halfway and watch... you're trying to stabilize around 550. I use three fingers for this temp, maybe a nudge to the right more than that.
    Do not open the dome after moving the vent left. Your fire is starving for air and if you open that dome now it will find the air around your arm very quickly and jump out at you. Trust me on this.

When the temp stabilizes, burp the egg. (open slightly, close, open slightly, then lift it all the way) Now your grill is about a thousand degrees, inches above that fire. Put the steak back on for 30 seconds, turn it 90 degrees for 30 seconds, flip it over and repeat for another minute. That should get you to 140f internal - medium rare.

Check your temp for where you want it - about 5 degrees before your desired done temp is when you want to get it off, let it rest for 5 minutes inside, plate and enjoy. Don't forget to close your vents and wave goodnight to your egg.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. I don't egg sirloin so I'm no help. For the price flat iron steak is better IMHO. Let us know how it goes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Hi there! We got it going a two times to 350 as we read somewhere to not go over 350 the first few times so something can seal properly. Do you think it safe to go over 350 now?
    yes. you are fine to go higher

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    The easiest way I have found is get the egg to 650°-700° direct. You will have the vents all the way open. Season your steak with what you like with a little olive oil. Put the steaks on and sear for 2 minutes, open lid (remember to burbank egg ) file and sear for another 2 minutes. After that shut the vents pull the steaks to the edge of the grate and give 3 to 4 more minutes. I go 4 to get meduim on a 3/4"- 1" steak. If you like it rear pull afree 2 to 3 minutes, if you like it medium well leave it on longer. Pull off let rest for a few minutes and enjoy. There is a video on YouTube about it for the egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Welcome, sirloin around our house is usually used for kabobs Greek style - meaning marinate in garlic/EVOO/lemon juice/oregano and some water for a few hours, put 'em on a stick and do a high heat direct grill. 

Reverse sear slowed down the cook, and it is easy way not to overcook. If you do go reverse sear, remember that pretty much any seasoning on the meat (except salt) will burn off during the high temp sear, season after the sear, maybe use a board sauce. 

When resting steak, put it on a rack, not directly on a plate - avoids drawing some of the juices out. Dry the steak right before the sear - this will speed up the Mailard reaction. Enjoy. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • laurelbeard
    Options
    Hi everyone! The steaks turned out fantastic. I slow cooked on 250ish until it got to 130 internal. I got the egg up to 600 and seared it 3 minutes each side and done.. Turned out delicious.....
    Large Egg
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Congratulations. The egg is an awesome cooking tool. Now, start posting some pics so we can all drool over your cooks!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hi everyone! The steaks turned out fantastic. I slow cooked on 250ish until it got to 130 internal. I got the egg up to 600 and seared it 3 minutes each side and done.. Turned out delicious.....
    great job. you are officially off and running. I had my egg for 5 years before I learned that trick (wasn't on the forum).

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    great job. you are officially off and running. I had my egg for 5 years before I learned that trick (wasn't on the forum).

Plus, he is a slow learner.

Welcome aboard.  Get us some pics next time.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• clintmiller
    Options
    I've done sirloins all sorts of different ways. Typically, I've done a reverse sear using a cast iron pan for the sear. However, a few weeks ago, I did them caveman style, and they were easily the best I've ever done. Here was the approach:
    1. Start with good quality prime sirloins.
    2. Season with Dizzy Pig Cowlick (nothing else, no butter, no oil).
    3. Indirect at 275 with no smoking wood. Flipped at 10 minutes. Removed when temperature hit 115-120.
    4. Get grill up to 600-700 degrees.
    5. Throw steaks directly on the fire (in the coals, not on a grate) for 75 seconds per side.
    6. Let rest for 10 minutes.
    7. Slice against the grain at a bias before serving.

That's going to be my go-to method from now on.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • BBQJIM
    Options
    Man that looks so good.
  • Don_Piero
    Options
    Welcome!

I have used only this method and have had good success.  I sometimes have to adjust the times, as some prefer a more well done steak.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/the-perfect-steaks/

Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto and sometimes Pinellas Park, St.Petersburg, XL-BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Slow learner indeed. I am doing the very best with what I got to work with though :))

• laurelbeard
    Options
    Here is a picture from my reverse seared steaks... ACK! Can't believe i have had the egg for just under a week.... To recap, I slow cooked on 250ish until it got to 130 internal. I got the egg up to 600 and seared it 3 minutes each side and done.. Turned out delicious.....

Large Egg
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Glad that you nailed it =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    awesome job. Those look really good. Those are my favorite part of the sirloin
  • BBQJIM
    Options
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Looks like everything turned out great.  I usually just go with a much simpler method.  Start the fire, put the grill on direct, burn off the VOC's and let the temperature rise to about 450 or so (not a critical value - you want something hot).  Put the steaks on the grill, turn 1/4 turn after 2 1/2 minutes, flip after 2 minutes, turn 1/4 turn in 2 minutes and continue cooking until medium rare, probably another 3 minutes or so, depending on thickness.   You can test the doneness by touch or, preferably, with a thermometer. I  also like to put a little Dizzy Pig's "Raising the Steaks' on before I put them on  the grill. 
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)