Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggfest question - Steak

Options
For those more experienced at cooking at fests, has anyone done steak(individual cuts like rib-eye, strip loin, porterhouse)? I can only find info on larger cuts like flank or round.  I have been researching and the conventional wisdom seems to be that the eggs shouldn't go over 450, granted, this info is years old. If this is the case, I am going to try to take my mini for searing or cook right down by the coals with a lower grate. I thought that this would be an easy thing to do that can show off the prowess of the egg with it's searing ability.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That restriction was to allow the gasket adhesive to set.   Any solvents left over will be driven off quickly by raising the temp up to your operating temperature the first time you use the egg.  So I'd hold it at 300F or so for half an hour to an hour, make sure the gasket is tight, then use normally.  The ceramics are fine, it came out of a kiln.   But watch the bands if you go nuclear.
    Options
    Now that that's on the internet, it must be true.
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    I have cooked all the listed steaks above and then some . I will be more than glad to offer what I can about them but I'm not sure what your question is about them. As far as temp safety I emailed the mothership a little over 2 years ago and their response was that the egg was fired in excess of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit and that I could not harm it under normal cooking circumstances. That being said they did not define normal cooking circumstances. A point of interest: Most high end Steak Houses sear in the 1,000 degree arena so I took this upon my own to fall into normal cooking circumstances. I run mine that high at least once a week and have been doing so for a long time. For clean burns I have ran it even higher. So far so good. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ has a little experience going over 450 at an eggfest on a demo
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    henapple said:
    @nolaegghead‌ has a little experience going over 450 at an eggfest on a demo
    Very true - I think I hit 750.  And the gasket was still intact at the end of the day.
    Options
    @sgh thanks. I have no issues cooking steak or worries about the Egg. I'm just curious about EggFest rules in regards to temps allowed.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Guess I have a different question - are you doing a demo for a class at an eggfest? Or are you planning on serving steak to umpteen people at an eggfest? Most people cooking for the masses are serving up dozens upon dozens of individual servings. Unless you are a very rich person then you are talking about much-o money spent on numerous steaks over a period of hours!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    No one said anything to me at Salado.  Another trick is to wrap your temp around so it looks like you're in the normal range. (edit: I kid, I kid!)
    Options
    @sgh thanks. I have no issues cooking steak or worries about the Egg. I'm just curious about EggFest rules in regards to temps allowed.
    I'd suggest checking with whoever is putting on the fest at which you'll be cooking to what, if any, local rules apply.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌
    My bad brother. Y'all have to bear with me today. I'm running on about two hours of sleep. I'm trying just not succeeding!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have been cooking at the Eggtoberfest in Atlanta for a number of years and i do not recall ever being told what temperature to cook at. We did a whole prime rib one year and got it to around 700 to sear it before we cooked it. There were no gasket issues.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @RRP, it's a mini fest with around 10 eggs and lasts 3 hours. I'm doing other stuff but wanted an entrée to round it out. The organizers are also providing a 75 dollar food gift card.

@TexanOfTheNorth‌, I have already sent an email. I am just looking for the conventional wisdom.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Hope you have fun with it. I'm cooking (1st time) at the Toronto Eggfest this coming Saturday. To my knowledge, the only rule they have is that we can't bring in any alcohol as it is a licensed venue.

My only suggestion for you, unless you take your mini along, is to save the high temp cook for last so you don't have to let it cool off before cooking something else. But of course as an eggperienced egger, you'll have already taken that into account.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    NO ALCOHOL!?  WTF?  How are you supposed to cook!?
    Options
    I'm going to bake off a skillet cookie with residual heat after the steak. Otherwise, it will be the last big ticket item I do.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    NO ALCOHOL!?  WTF?  How are you supposed to cook!?
    I was just quoting the rule. Following it is another matter altogether.
    Options
    You're not supposed to drink in church...but hey. @nolaegghead‌. ..you went WAY over 750.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'd burst into flames if I ever entered one of those magic-halls.
    Options
    I'm going to bake off a skillet cookie with residual heat after the steak. Otherwise, it will be the last big ticket item I do.

Glad to hear. I'm doing desserts, and a skillet cookie has been on and off the menu as I decide what to do. I can now take it off and go with something else. Looking at Blueberry Cobbler, Apple Struedel, Pie crust wrapped Rolo's, Hershey Kisses, Reese's Cups, and some S'mores in a cone. Looking forward to cooking with you.
    Options
    @henapple (shhhhhhhh!  dude!!!)
    Options
    No Booz at eggfest?!? What? Next, you're gonna tell me there's no sex in the champagne room!?!!!

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Miracles do happen...... :))

I think, the no alcohol means you can't bring your own, you can buy all you want as it is licensed - but unless you have a trust fund, you will run out of money before you run out of capacity.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    SO as someone who has absolutely no previous experience...but is picking up her first XLBGE this weekend as a demo from an eggfest, I'd like to weigh in. The mothership has the following on their website for beginners: DO NOT cook at high temperatures on your first use This may damage the gasket before it can properly seat itself. Keep the temperature on your first few cooks under 350°F / 177°C to allow the gasket adhesive to fully cure and adhere to the EGG. If you do happen to damage the gasket, you can easily replace it with one available from any BGE dealer. I would hope that the person cooking on my egg would treat it gently...it's a huge investment on my part and I'd like to bring it home in prime condition. Again, no experience so really shouldn't have chimed in....but wanted to give another perspective.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    That is what it says on their website, and maybe that was true with the felt gaskets from the days of yore, but it's about as true for Nomex gaskets as there is evidence vaccines cause autism.  They should update their website. 

If you have a fresh Rutland gasket with Permatex adhesive, that's sage advice.  Except they don't.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I don't recall seeing anyone cooking individual steaks at a fest before likely more due to cost than concerns over frying a gasket. I have cooked pizza at a fest but kept temps down to 450 to try to be a little gentler on the gasket and this wasn't until a couple of hours into cooking. I have seen demo eggs with gaskets fused by melted cheese and/or spilt sauce which I'm sure was alarming to the buyer (despite getting a new gasket). Eggfest "rules" are up to the individual organizers so it'll be interesting to see what they tell you.

Do you have a spider & smaller CI grid you can bring? If you really want to sear steaks that would get you closer to the lump and you probably wouldn't need to go nuclear to get a decent sear.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Miracles do happen...... :))

I think, the no alcohol means you can't bring your own, you can buy all you want as it is licensed - but unless you have a trust fund, you will run out of money before you run out of capacity.....
    Correct... alcohol (as best as I remember from last year, beer only) is available for purchase at the venue.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Think there bar is fully stocked across the road. but you could get started early with a cooler full in your car.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    No one said anything to me at Salado.  Another trick is to wrap your temp around so it looks like you're in the normal range. (edit: I kid, I kid!)

Nor will they ever ^:)^
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    @eggcelsior  when/where is this fest?  Is it in our area, if so might be interested in checking it out.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD