Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm suggesting a "What's in Your Kitchen" Forum

Options
hayhonker
hayhonker Posts: 576
edited August 2011 in Forum Feedback
For talk about cooking gear, pots, pans, knives, cutting boards, cup cake holders. etc.
Thanks for your consideration.

Comments

• hayhonker
    hayhonker Posts: 576
    Options
    guess this never went anywhere. lol!
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Way too many pots and pans that see little use. A bread machine. QuickMill Alexia espresso machine.
    Kemah, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited May 2014
    Options
    le Creuset enameled cast iron pots & pans
    Aeternum ceramic-coated aluminum frypans (the nonstick is Fantastic!  Bed, Bath, and Bebroke)
    All Clad steel-coated copper frypans, when I need "fond"
    Henckel's "Four Star" knives, handles worn glossy
    KitchenAid food processor, mixer, blender
    Nice meat slicer with no brand name on it
    Excellent precision scale, also with no brand name, including tare, and baker's percentages (was a pizza fanatic)
    And a large, $89 butcher block cutting board, made of some african wood I can't pronounce, that's warped.  Badly.  wtf.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    rice cookers, crock pots, steamers, pressure cooker, electric this and electric that, knives and more knives, plastic bowls, glass bowls, tupperware out the wazzoo, ice cream maker, meat grinder, meat slicer, food processing center, coffee bean grinder (not used for grinding coffee beans), food dehydrator, and the list goes on & on
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,748
    Options
    the good stuff
    dual oven lacanche cluny with wok burner, simmer plate, flat top, and griddle
    4 inch by 48 inch end grain boos table cutting block
    lecreuset dutch, braiser, casserole

miscellaneous stuff
    korean stone bowl rice cooker
    ka mixer with grinder attachment
    food processor
    cataplana
    great grandmas aluminum wood handle pots
    some pie tins
    lodge cast iron skillets
    wok
    old outdoor blue carpeting that cant be stained any more

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    A large digital clock with warming functions...

KitchenAid mixer, blender, regular and mini food processors
    Full set of Calphalon Contemporary SS pots & pans, plus the wok pan and 8.5qt DO
    5qt LC DO
    Some random other pots

Bunch of little tools that I almost never use; but am always happy to have when I do, like my micro plane zester :))

Full set of Cutco knives in a block, and some other German brand blades as well

A bunch of Ziplock storage containers in all types of sizes and shapes

All manner of rubs, spices, oils etc
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Lots of odds and ends. Some cast-off from my mother's gear, such as an actually made in Holland enameled Dutch oven, and an aluminum gridle that spans 2 range burners. Lots of stuft picked up over the years at 2nd hand shops. All of our day to day cutlery is mismatched, much of it from the 30's & 40's.

Bunch of knives of all descriptions. Most used are an old 10" sabatier chef's and a Hattori petty. Reserved for fine work, a Kikuichi 240 gyuto. Edge Pro sharpening kit for the blades. Couple of cutting boards, wood and rubber.

A Benrinner. 10 qt. Fagor pressure cooker. Waring immersion blender. A Blendtech. 1 gram accurate scale. Inexpensive controller to turn slow cookers into sous vide cookers. Thermapen and Thermowerks IR thermometer. 2 Pyrex measuring cups and a "Perfect Beaker." A 12" Calphalon SS skillet that I polished mirror smooth for making French style omelettes.

Not much in the way of bakeware, but do have a ceramic bread cloche.

Etc. Etc.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    or a twist on this thread might be what unusual is in your kitchen? I find this plastic coated hammer quite useful and easy to clean. Also a set of rubber pipe wrenches are great for opening even the most stubborn jars!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    A full suite of GE profile appliances that were part of the SS package when we had the house built.

4 Le Creuset enameled pots - Bouillabaisse, 7.5 qt oval, 5 qt round, 3 qt Doufeu

All Clad d5 and Copper Core SS cookware

My grandmother's Wagner CI skillets and Griswold griddles. ! Lodge POS that I bought.

Japanese steel and some old crappy stamped stuff.

Blendtech blender, KA mixer, Cuisinart FP

Delonghi Latissima + espresso maker.

Lots of other crap.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    RRP said:
    or a twist on this thread might be what unusual is in your kitchen? I find this plastic coated hammer quite useful and easy to clean. Also a set of rubber pipe wrenches are great for opening even the most stubborn jars!
    i used a full sized sledge hammer/ splitting maul last year to get the claw meat out of a 6 pound hardshell lobster last year
    :))  some kitchen supplies do come from the woodshed
    :D
    fukahwee maine

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @fishlessman - agreed kitchen supplies do come from the woodshed, further to @RRP and his Boa wrench and dead blow hammer, @hapster liked his micro zester - most of which are based on super fine wood rasps. The best pair of poultry shears I've ever used were tin snips designed for hobby use. 
    After years of trying different pots and pans, we are using a Paderno SS set with oven safe handles. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    for those with the fancy pans, which one works best for tossing/flipping food
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Any frying pan.  Woks or wok-like pans will work but you want more angle on the lip.
    Options
    for those with the fancy pans, which one works best for tossing/flipping food
    My 12 inch All Clad.

It is the highest rated pan in many publications, including Cooks Illustrated.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    nola and eggselsior, is just stainless the way to go, im using one of those ceramic coated types that looks like a teflon and it flips fine but i know it will never stand up for me, its already showing signs of self destruction
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I have a 12" All-clad copper-clad pan, sorta wok-ish like thing with a big flat bottom.  Flips fine, but kinda heavy.  Lowest thing hanging on the right in this pic.
    Options
    fishlessman - Stainless is fine.  Lasts forever.  Or at least much longer than coated pans.
    Options
    fishlessman - Stainless is fine.  Lasts forever.  Or at least much longer than coated pans.
    its an odd thing but all my stainless are pots and all my fry pans are cast iron and the one ceramic coated that i can flip with which i hate, doesnt fit the burners and the handle is so heavey it actually tips over when empty
    :)) looks like one of those allclads will be coming home soon
    fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    KitchenAid Artisan Mixer, several different style food processors, a slough of pots and pans, CI» skillets, pie pan, and pans some date to the 50s and 60s, many knives (my good stuff stays hidden in a case for my use only :-) ), thermometers in my freezers and refrigerator (creature of habit), funnel, measuring tools, rubber mallet, rubber pipe wrench-two sizes-, vacuum food saver, storage bags and containers deemed freezer safe, several plastic cutting boards and a wooden large cutting board, rice cooker, & many many obscure specialty culinary tools, coffee machine, cappuccino machine, dedicated hot or cold frother, etc. etc.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    A keeper indeed! That jar opener is for me...my hands are not what they used to be!  Thanks.

RRP said:

LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• fishlessman
    Options
    almost forgot my coffee machine

fukahwee maine

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Fishless: I bought my Calphalon because of good ratings, but ended up polishing it because between my ineptness and the pans surface stickiness, I couldn't easily flip anything. After a mirror polish, everything was so much easier. I was guided by this: http://www.potshopofboston.com/products/omelette/10polishedOmlettePan which was something Julia Child requested. I read that seasoned CI has the same polymerized oils that comprise Teflon. And I also read that during the peak of CI production, pans were made much s,mother than today. I've got a little 8" skillet that I started polishing in preparation for seasoning because J. Child once mentioned that the top omelette maker in Paris was a woman that used a huge CI skillet.
  • fishlessman
    Options

gdenby said:
    Fishless: I bought my Calphalon because of good ratings, but ended up polishing it because between my ineptness and the pans surface stickiness, I couldn't easily flip anything. After a mirror polish, everything was so much easier. I was guided by this: http://www.potshopofboston.com/products/omelette/10polishedOmlettePan which was something Julia Child requested. I read that seasoned CI has the same polymerized oils that comprise Teflon. And I also read that during the peak of CI production, pans were made much s,mother than today. I've got a little 8" skillet that I started polishing in preparation for seasoning because J. Child once mentioned that the top omelette maker in Paris was a woman that used a huge CI skillet.
    thats a nice pan, most of my bean pots came from that place. i polished my lodge ci 12 and it makes a huge difference non stick wise, too heavey to flip with though, maybe i should polish the 8
    fukahwee maine

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2014
    Options

Frigedaire wall oven for holding 8.5", 12", and 14" pizza stones, along with  the 16" Baking Steel, and 14" x 14" stone Mario Batali Piastra

Samsung french door fridge

A ridiculous amount of CI pans, favorite being a Wagner 12" chef's skillet

Viking 7 ply SS 3.5qt saucier

Vintage Le Creuset Enamel CI DO size 24

Vintage Le Creuset Enamel CI sauce pan with spout size 22

Lodge 6qt enamel CI DO

2 Lodge CI #12 DOs

Lodge 5qt DO Double Dutch Oven

Lodge skillet for blackening, high heat searing

Shun Classic SS 10" chefs, 9" slicer, 9" bread, 9" carving, 6" chefs, 2 4" angled paring, tourne, and 4 piece steak knife set.

Apex sharpening system with Chocera stones

SS Cocktail shaker

Japanese Benriner Mandolin

Griswold #8 Waffle Iron

Grisold large logo epu #s 10,8,6,5 and 2 3s

#16 Griswold large slant logo with bail

Vitamix 5200 with both 64 and 32 oz containers

KA Pro 600 Copper Pearl with meat grinder attachment and pasta roller set

KA food processor

Foodsaver

Roaster oven

3 crock pots

10 Qt Food Network 4 in 1 stock pot

Emeril CI 4 in 1 cooker 

Nesco American Harvest Dehydrator

Encore burr grinder

Chefs Choice electric kettle

Frieling #0104 french press

Pelican 35qt cooler that stays in the kitchen

14" wood and metal peels

16" wood and metal peels

12" hand hammered pao wok

16" hand hammered wok

Oxo salad spinner

Custom 3" Ozark West black walnut butcher block

Haeger stone deep dish pie pan

2 Hartstone Pottery  loaf pans

2 Pampered Chef muffin pans

Pampered Chef bundt pan ($5 at antique store)

Hobart 12" #512 meat slicer from the 70s

Gen 4 16gb iPod and Auvio speaker box

I'm sure there is more, but that pretty much covers it. hahaha

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    We have a oven, but that's where I hide my Wife's Christmas presents. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    There's an interesting question floating through this thread, non-stick vs. steel frypans.  My take:

Buy an inexpensive non-stick aluminum frypan (I love T-Fal's, although recently went with Aeternum ceramic-coated) knowing that you will eventually have to replace them (my last T-Fal lasted 8 years).  They work better than anything for cooking things like eggs, bacon, or fish.  

Also buy the best steel-coated, aluminum or copper frypan you can afford, and use it for any recipe that calls for deglazing the pan for a sauce.  You can't develop a fond with a non-stick frypan (a failure of mine for years) neither can you cook eggs or fish in a steel pan, without them sticking.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

My take.....don't buy anything "non-stick".  "Teflon Don"/nolaegghead may disagree here, but it's all good. :) 

I cook eggs , bacon, and fish in vintage CI.  No problems, and they actually get better with time.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't disagree that's your take on it.  ;)

Teflon, ceramic, seasoned CI, seasoned stainless, enamel, seasoned or anodized aluminum or seasoned magnalite....they can all successfully cook eggs and fish without sticking (some with a little oil).  I never had a problem with bacon.

That's because all these surfaces are non-stick.  Teflon has one advantage and a number of disadvantages.  The advantage is it has one of the lowest coefficients of friction of all known materials, so in good condition, no oil is needed for food to not stick.  The disadvantages are: it is easily damages by abrasion, it doesn't last as long as the non-coated pans, it releases poison if heated too hot and it won't develop as nice a fond.

Whatever works, works.  I'm no purist, I'm practical.
    Options
    @Focker - Very impressive kitchen inventory!