Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Kitchenaid mixer price???

Someone in the neighborhood is asking $175, used a handful of times. I don't see a model number. What accessories should be included? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If it's a newer model, you should get the 5 or 6 quart bowl, paddle, whisk, and dough hook attachments. Does it flip up or have the lever-lift system? The Artisan(flip up) go for around 300-350 for the 5 quart. Professional(lever) go for around 450- 500.
  • Eggcelsior
    In addition, you can get the Professional from Costco for 350. It's often on sale as well. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014

If you time it right, you can get a new Pro 600 at Kohls for $90....legit.  Kohls accepts multiple discounts/coupons.

Last year, we did this for my brother, and after the multiple discounts and tax he was a few dollars shy of $150, nickel pearl was the color.

Click on this link and read chrisnjenn's reply. 

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=1163590&catid=1&limit=24&limitstart=24

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    KA Pro 600... $90, new from Kohl's. Istr that RRP did this too, but I can't find his post.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    KA Pro 600... $90, new from Kohl's. Istr that RRP did this too, but I can't find his post.

Too slow old man. ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Eggcelsior
    Focker said:

If you time it right, you can get a new Pro 600 at Kohls for less than $90....legit.  Kohls accepts multiple discounts/coupons.

Last year, we did this for my brother, and after the multiple discounts and tax he was a few dollars shy of $150, nickel pearl was the color.

Click on this link and read chrisnjenn's reply. 

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&id=1163590&catid=1&limit=24&limitstart=24

Man, I miss this guy! Those were good times last summer.
  • Carolina Q
    edited April 2014
    Focker said: Too slow old man. ;)

Maybe, but mine was cheaper. 
    Smart ass.  :D 

EDIT. So why wasn't yours $150 instead of $90?

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited April 2014

hahaha, only f with the ones I like.  :D

Timing on amazon made the intial price higher, and he didn't have the $30 Kohls cash thing.  Still, at a buck fifty, a no-brainer.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    If its a lift-level style, make sure to measure the space between your countertop and any cupboards; a lift-style wouldn't fit in my kitchen.
    I've used my tilt-head "Artisan" for over 15 years, and am very happy with it.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Botch said:
    If its a lift-level style, make sure to measure the space between your countertop and any cupboards; a lift-style wouldn't fit in my kitchen.
    I've used my tilt-head "Artisan" for over 15 years, and am very happy with it.  
    Both are good mixers. Are you saying the lift system is higher than the Artisan when the head is tilted? Would have never thought. Have the Pro 600, the bowl raises, not the power head, so if you have clearance for the power head, the bowl in either up or down position does not matter. The Pro I have requires 43cm (17") to fit under cabinets. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

Have the Pro 600, the bowl raises, not the power head, so if you have clearance for the power head, the bowl in either up or down position does not matter. The Pro I have requires 43cm (17") to fit under cabinets. 
    Here's my solution to storage of my Pro 600 - that sucker is heavy! This is a swing out, spring assisted lift.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    RRP said:

Have the Pro 600, the bowl raises, not the power head, so if you have clearance for the power head, the bowl in either up or down position does not matter. The Pro I have requires 43cm (17") to fit under cabinets. 
    Here's my solution to storage of my Pro 600 - that sucker is heavy! This is a swing out, spring assisted lift.

Wow, that's cool.
    NOLA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Very nice RRP. Thanks for all the info. Think I'll wait and get a new one.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Skiddymarker do you use the stand mixer on that swing out rack or do you put it on the counter top ?
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Botch
    Skiddymarker said:  Are you saying the lift system is higher than the Artisan when the head is tilted? Would have never thought. Have the Pro 600, the bowl raises, not the power head, so if you have clearance for the power head, the bowl in either up or down position does not matter. The Pro I have requires 43cm (17") to fit under cabinets. 

True, the Pro lifts the bowl and doesn't "change height", but I have 16" between my countertop and cupboard.  My Artisan can't tilt back under there either, but I slide it out to use it and it can slide back when finished; couldn't do that with the Pro.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RRP
    edited April 2014
    Skiddymarker do you use the stand mixer on that swing out rack or do you put it on the counter top ?
    No it stays right there on the swing out wooden base I made so there is no lifting it off. The under cabinet space I retrofitted had been the space for a trash masher so it already had an electrical outlet in there. Then I had a door fabricated by the same company which made our kitchen cabinets.
    imageimage
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @RRP - cool!
    @RRP thats cool can you possabaly post a photo of it up in the usable position 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RRP
    @RRP thats cool can you possabaly post a photo of it up in the usable position 
    That's what this picture showed - notice the relationship to the counter behind it when it is in this "up" position.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    RRP   as I said thats cool and you made it yourself 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • RRP
    edited April 2014
    RRP   as I said thats cool and you made it yourself 
    Thanks - BTW here's a link to the lift mechanism - even the review I posted as Ronald P
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Costco has a sale on them coming up they were in the last ad. I think it was the 600 pro for like $259 if I remember correct. I would not get anything less than the 600 many of the smaller models have bad reviews because the engines aren't strong enough.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    @Lit thanks for the heads up.
  • RRP
    edited April 2014
    Lowflyer said:
    @Lit thanks for the heads up.
    if you have a Kohl's in your area you can beat that $259 price with ease, but you need to time it right and take in Internet ads that they will match.
  • Carolina Q
    Lit said:
    I would not get anything less than the 600 many of the smaller models have bad reviews because the engines aren't strong enough.
    My Artisan has been fine for the 4-5 years or so I've owned it. But then, 
    I don't use it all that much. Regardless, the 600 is just too big for my place.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have read reviews of the artisan overheating when doing things like kneading dough. I don't have experience with it I just saw it reading up on them before I got mine. I was wrong the Costco one is $289 on sale just checked. If you can wait and time it right Kohls seems like a good deal.
  • Botch
    Cook's Illustrated just did a mixer shootout and the Pro 600 came out on top, with the basic model (one step below Artisan) getting the Best Buy.  As I said above I've had mine over 15 years and I do a LOT of pizza dough, motor gets warm but no problems so far.  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited April 2014
    I just bought a 30+ year old lightly used Kitchen Aid mixer off Craigslist for $80. Older Kitchen Aid mixers were made by Hobart in Dayton Ohio. In the mid 80's Hobart sold off the Kitchen Aid brand to Whirlpool. After a couple years under Whirlpool ownership they started to switch out Hobart components with Whirlpool. Which is too bad since Hobart is commercial quality components. When I was reading reviews on older Kitchen Aid Hobart mixers a poster wrote: "Kitchen Aid Hobart mixers will last forever plus two additional days". I believe it. I picked up a newer mixer for my sister in law and that old Hobart runs much more quiet. Much better quality between the two. If you aren't going to be using the mixer everyday and more less sparingly, you might want look at an older used Hobart Kitchen Aid mixer. (Mixer on right) Just a thought.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    WeberWho? said:

I just bought a 30+ year old lightly used Kitchen Aid mixer off Craigslist for $80. Older Kitchen Aid mixers were made by Hobart in Dayton Ohio. In the mid 80's Hobart sold off the Kitchen Aid brand to Whirlpool. After a couple years under Whirlpool ownership they started to switch out Hobart components with Whirlpool. Which is too bad since Hobart is commercial quality components. When I was reading reviews on older Kitchen Aid Hobart mixers a poster wrote: "Kitchen Aid Hobart mixers will last forever plus two additional days". I believe it. I picked up a newer mixer for my sister in law and that old Hobart runs much more quiet. Much better quality between the two. If you aren't going to be using the mixer everyday and more less sparingly, you might want look at an older used Hobart Kitchen Aid mixer. (Mixer on right) Just a thought.

Nice score on the Hobart KA!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Thanks! @DMW
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota