Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: AppleCare

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Nearly 3 years ago, I spent a crap ton of money on a computer and got a decked out MacBook Pro.  I'm far from a warranty guy, but a buddy talked me into getting AppleCare as it paid for itself with his friend's MBP.  I've used it once to replace a busted power cord, which still had me in the red.

Over the past year and a 1/2, i've been into the Apple Store 3 times as my MBP was randomly going into sleep mode, or completely unable to power on even though it was connected to a power cord.   :-q They've ran tests after tests and told me everything was good.  The last visit, they told me the next step would be to send it off to the Apple Repair Center.  Last week, I heard a hamster wheel sound coming from the back, so I checked my warranty and saw that I had 10 days left of AppleCare.  My power cord was also tearing again, so I figured I should get another replacement before AppleCare expired. 

I took it in and told the guy that it was still randomly going into sleep mode and would like to send it off for repair.  He checked the notes and confirmed that was our next step.  The repair was $300 and thankfully was covered under AppleCare.  I got the come pick-up call this morning, so I drove to the Apple Store fully expecting they would say everything was fine.  Boy was I wrong...they finally discovered the problem and I pretty much have a brand new MBP 3 years later.   :)

They replaced the following:

• Logic Board (basically the motherboard and the foundation of any computer)
  • Bottom base (shell), keyboard, and trackpad.  
  • My left and right cooling fans
  • And all the feet on the bottom of the MBP

Bottom line, if you are purchasing a Mac, don't even think about it....buy AppleCare!   :D  
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    Sorry you've had so much trouble in the first place @cazzy. I bought a MBP around the same time, and haven't had any kinds of problems with it. You might want to stop using it as a cutting board for brisket though - just my $0.02 !
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    We did on the notebook but not on the iPads or iPhones.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I got a tricked out iMac. I got the AppleCare but got drunk and lost it. Good thing it's lasted.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My son got a macbook. ..I had applejacks.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sorry you've had so much trouble in the first place @cazzy. I bought a MBP around the same time, and haven't had any kinds of problems with it. You might want to stop using it as a cutting board for brisket though - just my $0.02 !
    Yeah...I wish I didn't have the issues either...but I look at as I might get another 3-4 years out of this.  Since the issues were mainly annoying, i've still enjoyed my MBP the past 3 years.  Half glass full I guess.   ;)

It works sooooo good though!   :P
  • cazzy
    Options
    Mickey said:
    We did on the notebook but not on the iPads or iPhones.
    I don't think they're needed for those so good decision right there.
  • cazzy
    Options
    I got a tricked out iMac. I got the AppleCare but got drunk and lost it. Good thing it's lasted.

:-?
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'm not surprised...I would spoil him too if I photographed him in baby blue overalls when he was a yougster.   :P
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I will always get it. Replaced the motherboard on my wife's 2 months before expiration. 7 years later, still purring. We actually need to upgrade because nothing is compatible anymore.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I see a trend here with @travisstrick‌ gets drunk and the rest is history.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cazzy said:

henapple said:

I'm not surprised...I would spoil him too if I photographed him in baby blue overalls when he was a yougster.   :P

Better than a picture of a raw hamburger
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    Options
    henapple said:
    henapple said:
    Better than a picture of a raw hamburger
    Touche!  That burger sucked balls!
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Apple products are worth every penny you pay. Their service can't be beat and apple care is just an extension of that. I just wish my employer would move to am OS platform. Lol
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You mac guys smell your own farts.  I bet you drive a Prius too.
    Options
    Oh, wait, we have 4 macs.  Nevermind.
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Oh, wait, we have 4 macs.  Nevermind.
    Like you, I use both.  I actually just rebuilt a PC I originally built back in January 2008.  The goal is to make it a Media PC,  so I went the cheap route.  I went with a AMD A10 3.8ghz Quad w/ a built in GPU (Radeon HD 7660D) which would perfect for outputting HD streams.  After I move the desktop, I'll replace it with a Mac Mini or a iMac in a few months, just waiting to see what the Mini refresh looks like in the next month or so.  Want a dedicated photo editing workstation with either a 27" or 30" monitor.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have an old home-made PC I need to resurrect.  I've upgraded the motherboard/CPU at least twice.  Yeah, I'm curious about the new mini.  I'm still trying to talk my BIL to buying the new Mac Pro and selling me his 3-yo 12-core i7 Mac Pro....for a photo editing workstation (and video).
    Options
    @cazzy - look for a color correction monitor.  Bigger the better.  I wouldn't worry about paying extra for the super high resolution, you just want to reproduce accurate color.  I have a 30" Dell 2560x1600 monitor and it's a pain in the butt to get that signal to the monitor (you need a dual channel hdmi cable) and the color isn't that great compared to my smaller 27" and 24" monitors.
    Options
    I've spent a butt load on it, but I'm sure it's paid off.  Between my wife and I we have an iMac desktop, macbook laptop, macmini, apple TV, an iPad, two iPhones and two iPods.  It paid for itself for all devices when my desktop crashed a year ago and they handed me a brand new 25" desktop iMac.  Time Machine backups are a great thing!!

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cazzy
    edited March 2014
    Options
    I have an old home-made PC I need to resurrect.  I've upgraded the motherboard/CPU at least twice.  Yeah, I'm curious about the new mini.  I'm still trying to talk my BIL to buying the new Mac Pro and selling me his 3-yo 12-core i7 Mac Pro....for a photo editing workstation (and video).
    I got a new mobo, proc, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and a 3TB 7200RPM drive for $350.  Not bad at all...pretty freaking snappy too.

Rumor is that Mini will still lack a dedicated GPU, but it will come equipped with a Intel Haswell proc.  It will use Intel Iris Pro Graphics which actually isn't too bad.  The entry level iMacs use Iris Pro Graphics and the reviews have been pretty good.  Should handle photos easy and most non-pro video editing.

I've been doing all my editing on my MBP, and it's just time to have somewhere to focus and a bigger calibrated monitor.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:
    I've spent a butt load on it, but I'm sure it's paid off.  Between my wife and I we have an iMac desktop, macbook laptop, macmini, apple TV, an iPad, two iPhones and two iPods.  It paid for itself for all devices when my desktop crashed a year ago and they handed me a brand new 25" desktop iMac.  Time Machine backups are a great thing!!

Mike
    Time machine is awesome.  I'm thinking about setting up a NAS and doing the network backup rather than USB drive.  The Time Capsule is tempting, but I can do better with features and expandability of something like a Drobo.
    Options
    Oh, and nola,  I know you were joking, but I drive a Chevy Avalanche with BOWHUNR plates.  Rednecks use apples too!  ;)

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • cazzy
    Options
    BOWHUNR said:

Mike
    Time machine is awesome.  I'm thinking about setting up a NAS and doing the network backup rather than USB drive.  The Time Capsule is tempting, but I can do better with features and expandability of something like a Drobo.
    I love my Drobo 5N, especially now that I've got my settings fixed and now it streams without buffering.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nice! @bowhunr Mike, I'm a total redneck, if number of guns and camo crocks is any indicator.

@cazzy - I need to talk to you about the Drobo. 

Options
    Nice! @bowhunr Mike, I'm a total redneck, if number of guns and camo crocks is any indicator.

@cazzy - I need to talk to you about the Drobo. 

You know my number bruh!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It's in my mothaflippin' speed-dial, beotch!  I need to start my egg up now, I'll call you some other day this week.  Fired the MBGE up earlier and cooked some prime sirloin.  Man, dat was fine meat.
    Options
    I can't make Salado this year, but I wanna drink some whiskey with all of you fools next year!

Mike

Omaha, NE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Darn, I'm such a luddite. My mac mini is 11 years old.
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    @cazzy My wife and I have had iPhones since the June 2007 and the 4s was the first time we got Apple Care with the purchase. Meredith has had 2 cracked screens replaced with no extra cost. $99 for three years isn't a bad deal IMO. I haven't had to use it (knock on wood), but each day that I don't need it is another day that I'm closer to using it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    (says the insurance guy)

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer