Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Bourbon by Value

Options

Comrades,

Thank you very much for previous Bourbon recommendations.  I am now completely in love with Buffalo Trace ($19.99 for a 750 by me)
Value is very important to me.  I wanted to ask by price point your favorite.  Generally, I am not into "wheaters" but want to try Weller.

Under $20:

Under $30:

Under $40:

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options

I suppose we're talking about for a fifth?

Under $20 - I'll take Evan Williams

Under $30 - Maker's Mark, my drink of choice

Under $40 - Several good ones, right now I really like the Elijah Craig 12

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Someone else said this first; Posts about the drinking of adult beverages is NOT Off Topic!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options

Yes, price per fifth.  However, great handle values will also be considered.

Thank you Hokie_Smoker for your input.  Not a huge Maker's fan, but many of my friends are.

I can get Elijah Craig 12 for $25 and really like it.  Haven't had EW in a long time.

• Hokie_Smoker
    Options
    @Z_Eggineer if you can get Elijah 12 for $25 what's the cost of Blanton's.  I really like Blanton's.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I've been enjoying George Dickel's Barrel Select, which is right around $40.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    @Z_Eggineer if you can get Elijah 12 for $25 what's the cost of Blanton's.  I really like Blanton's.

It depends on time of year honestly (if close or far from derby).  I saw it once for $35 and didn't buy it (still hitting myself, was a n00b back then).

Usually, I think it is around $45 by me, but I could be mistaken.

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    For a "higher end" (for me, above $30 is special occasion) also thinking Woodford Double-Oaked or Angel's Envy.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I drink Evan Williams green label with coke zero more often than not. It's $13.99 a handle.

Makers 46 is my fav top shelf stuff. $36 a fifth.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I buy McAfee Benchmark #8 Sour Mash by the handle.  It will run approx 14.50 - 16.00.  Buy it by the case and most stores take 10% off.   It's a good bourbon for mixing, but not necessarily drinking straight.

Travis:  13.99 for a handle of Evan????   tell me you're in the DFW Metroplex!.  I'd buy it by the handle and case and save an extra 5 bux

And if I'm sippin' I'm going for Woodford or Jefferson, they do just fine at 30 - 50 bux per 750ml
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I prefer glenfiddich 18 year. .. $90. It's not very enjoyable with my wife's foot buried though. I still like Jack Daniels. Woodford is great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • s_austin_egger
    Options
    Under 20 Jim beam black
    Under 30 Bullitt bourbon. If you haven't tried this you need to. Excellent for the price
    Under 40 there are several but I've been enjoying TX bourbon lately. Not sure if the distribute everywhere. Made in Dallas area I believe. Also like makers 46 and basil hayden.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    For bourbons I usually sip (haha)

Woodford & sometimes DO
    Makers & Makers 46
    Jefferson
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    Under 20 Jim beam black Under 30 Bullitt bourbon. If you haven't tried this you need to. Excellent for the price Under 40 there are several but I've been enjoying TX bourbon lately. Not sure if the distribute everywhere. Made in Dallas area I believe. Also like makers 46 and basil hayden.

I like JBB for the price and Bulleit is good and a great price for a handle here.

Never heard of TX bourbon before.  Not a huge fan of basil haydens.

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    hapster said:
    For bourbons I usually sip (haha)

Woodford & sometimes DO
    Makers & Makers 46
    Jefferson
    What is DO?
  • D_Train
    D_Train Posts: 47
    Options
    Second the Bulleit Bourbon for under $30. It can even be put into under $20 if you catch the right sale.
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    I'll go with Four Roses, Buffalo Trace, and I'll +1 the Bulleit.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Larceny $8 w/rebate deal of the year
    Buff Trace
    E T Lee
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For years was JD, but lately has been Jim Beam. Last year found some Bulleit Rye Frontier Whiskey, was very good. Tried the Bulleit bourbon, agree with @D_Train and @Z_Eggineer, very nice. I like my whiskey (Scotch/rye/bourbon) neat, splash of water to release the taste.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    This is going to be slightly OT in an already OT thread, but over the holidays I went to great pains to find a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.  No matter how hard I tried--including placing calls to some friends very deep in the wine/spirits industry who had gotten me an equally obscure beer called Westvleteren 12 last year--I could not find a bottle.  What's more, the prices that I was told I would have to pay if/when I ever did locate a bottle were obscene.  We're talking near the price of a brand new egg.  Anyway, I pretty much gave up on the hunt. Then, a day or two before Christmas, my brother emails me with a photo of a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year reserve.  In the email he states, quite confidently, that he bought that exact bottle years ago for our Dad as a Christmas gift.  This was well before the Pappy Van Winkle craze reached fever pitch.  At the time, it was a costly bottle, but costly within reason.  Anyway, we went to my parents for Christmas and sure enough, sitting there in my Dad's bar, was a 3/4 full bottle of Van Winkle 12 year reserve.  My Dad had no clue what he had sitting in his bar.  He'd probably been using it to pour Jack and Cokes.  My brother and I poured some over rocks.  Man.  I mean man.  Best bourbon I've tasted by a mile.  Worth the cost of en egg?  No.  But pretty incredible.

Anyway, figured I'd share the anecdote.
    Southern California
  • henapple
    Options
    What about under $7?
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    henapple said:
    What about under $7?
    That was my choice many moons ago.   :-&

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• henapple
    Options
    I hate to admit I've partaken.
  • henapple
    Options
    Under $5
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options

Under 20 Jim beam black
    Under 30 Bullitt bourbon. If you haven't tried this you need to. Excellent for the price
    Under 40 there are several but I've been enjoying TX bourbon lately. Not sure if the distribute everywhere. Made in Dallas area I believe. Also like makers 46 and basil hayden.

Bullitt Rye is my new favorite. A great value is Jim Beam Devils Cut. Sooo smooth and tastes great.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    I'm super lucky to know a group that goes out to the distilleries and buy barrels that they pick after learning where the honey holes are. Been getting the hand picked version of Weller Antique 107, and it is delicious! The off the shelf price is supposedly under $25.

There is a lot of good ones, and amazing how much depends on what comes out of each particular barrel. This is very much on-topic BTW ;)

Cheers!!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • henapple
    Options
    In this forum alcohol is on topic..egging is sometimes secondary. ... =))
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    beteez said:
    Buff Trace
    E T Lee
    What store has Larceny?
  • Z_Eggineer
    Options
    beteez said:
    Buff Trace
    E T Lee
    How much is Elmer T. Lee?  I love that distillery for BT
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Do you folks mostly drink it with something, or straight?  I just take it neat.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I go rocks.
    Southern California