Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The things we do for our customers......

13»

Comments

• lakewade said:
    I wouldn't have done it if my customers weren't so in to it. I thought it was silly.....until we ate. I'm actually glad we did it. i wouldn't do it again any time soon but it was so good it was almost worth it. If you get there first, it's still 3 hours. You would have to get there by 8.
    What was the price like?

I saw some enterprising UT students with smart phones that go down, stand in line, and Craigslist their position to fill orders for people who don't want to wait.  $40 flat rate or $10/hr.  
    Totally worth it. i would pay the $40 and show up at 10:30 and be out by 11:15. The line is fun though...but 4.5 hours is insane. I was hammered when the doors opened :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I love crowds and even more so, I love smacking hipsters in the back of the head for looking like a jackass. This is why I want to pre-order; more time for backhand re-education.
    We should totally pre-order one. i'll bring it down to Salado. Mine won't taste so good after that :))

Even with SXSW in town, you can just walk right in a grab it. You would probably have to do it now or the Hipsters will win. I'll gladly split it with you. They are about $100 a piece.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2013
    caliking said:
    I'm going to snag his too. I'm still trying to get Franklin's wares. Consensus is that his brisket is the bee's knees among commercially prepared smoked beef.
    You'll have to be quick. It goes lightning fast. I happened to be in the right place, at the right time.
    I have never seen a brisket get eaten faster than that one. I'll do a couple this year or split a franklin's with some peeps too.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    caliking said:

I'm going to snag his too. I'm still trying to get Franklin's wares. Consensus is that his brisket is the bee's knees among commercially prepared smoked beef.

You'll have to be quick. It goes lightning fast. I happened to be in the right place, at the right time.

I'm going to make him wear one of these:

Always in arm's reach. Nuff said.
  • Eggcelsior
    Damn, no pre-ordering until February 1st for March.
  • Damn, no pre-ordering until February 1st for March.
    on the calendar. If you don't do it early Feb 1, you will most likely be screwed.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    Looks like they're all laying down, taking a nap before opening. :\">
    Don't know why that silly comment made me laugh out loud........but, it did!!! :))

Then I succeeded ! Make one person smile or laugh each day is my goal......and yes, it was silly!
    BTW, how far are you from the Hiawassee Egg Fest?

I am the Hiawassee Eggfest.......so to speak! I'm the organizer of same and live in Young Harris which is 6 miles from downtown Hiawassee.....

I know exactly where Young Harris is. I play Brasstown Resort golf course every so often, and go thru YH going to Blairsville or John C. Campbell folk school. I live in Clayton!
    Brasstown Valley Resort is my home course.......planning on playing there tomorrow if it's not too cold! Have you attended the GA Mt. fest before?
    Yep, have attended both summer and fall versions in the past since moving to the mountains. I'm looking forward to the Eggfest there this next year......It'll be here before you know it! Have a Merry Christmas, and a safe one. BTW, know where I can get a new 10" grill for a mini?

If you can wait, I can have the dealer here order one you can pick up at the fest.....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have never seen a brisket get eaten faster than that one. I'll do a couple this year or split a franklin's with some peeps too.

No sh!t I blinked and almost didn't get any. I still haven't quite told SWMBO that it was probably the best I've had, because she would likely be pissed that I didn't give her any.  Would eat yours first, over Franklin's. If I had known you better back then, I would have eaten the shreds on the board too... and licked it clean. But nola beat me to it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:

No sh!t I blinked and almost didn't get any. I still haven't quite told SWMBO that it was probably the best I've had, because she would likely be pissed that I didn't give her any.  Would eat yours first, over Franklin's. If I had known you better back then, I would have eaten the shreds on the board too... and licked it clean. But nola beat me to it.

I heard he humped the board too. That's why the cops were first called.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

I heard he humped the board too. That's why the cops were first called.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    LS didn't make it to Salado last year.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

=))
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    He did...you just overlooked him
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I bet that dude with the 18 pack of Tecate liked it even more.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Eggcelsior
    caliking said:

That's just nolaegghead doing his Dorf routine. You should see him play golf.
  • I bet that dude with the 18 pack of Tecate liked it even more.
    There was a group in front of him that went through an entire Handle of Tito's in bloody mary's. They had a cooler with a full Bloody Mary Bar in it. They didn't seem to mind the wait so much
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    There was a group in front of him that went through an entire Handle of Tito's in bloody mary's. They had a cooler with a full Bloody Mary Bar in it. They didn't seem to mind the wait so much
    That is how to do it.  I was handed 24oz Ice Houses last time and Natty Lite the time before.  But beggars can't be choosers and they were delicious.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Eggcelsior
    lakewade said:
    That is how to do it.  I was handed 24oz Ice Houses last time and Natty Lite the time before.  But beggars can't be choosers and they were delicious.
    Wow. Throw in some Beast and I'm right back in college. Miller or Bud lite/light for "special occasions".
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    Don't know why that silly comment made me laugh out loud........but, it did!!! :))

Then I succeeded ! Make one person smile or laugh each day is my goal......and yes, it was silly!

I am the Hiawassee Eggfest.......so to speak! I'm the organizer of same and live in Young Harris which is 6 miles from downtown Hiawassee.....

I know exactly where Young Harris is. I play Brasstown Resort golf course every so often, and go thru YH going to Blairsville or John C. Campbell folk school. I live in Clayton!
    Brasstown Valley Resort is my home course.......planning on playing there tomorrow if it's not too cold! Have you attended the GA Mt. fest before?
    Yep, have attended both summer and fall versions in the past since moving to the mountains. I'm looking forward to the Eggfest there this next year......It'll be here before you know it! Have a Merry Christmas, and a safe one. BTW, know where I can get a new 10" grill for a mini?

If you can wait, I can have the dealer here order one you can pick up at the fest.....

Thanks! I'll wait till the 'fest. That way, I'll be sure to attend.

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:
    egret said:
    warwoman said:

Thanks! I'll wait till the 'fest. That way, I'll be sure to attend.

I'd appreciate it if you'd send me an email message at wjhall at windstream dot net so I can get in touch with you as we get closer to the fest. The dealer may not have that item in stock and I want to be sure: 1) you still want it, and 2) the dealer has it on hand for you at fest time. Thanks.
  • Hey...uh....anyone hear of this Georgia Mountain Eggfest? Sounds awesome.  If I only knew where to get some info on it :))

• A friend of mine who lives here in NC was on a book tour (his book is about food - a very clever way to eat all over the country) and stopped at Franklin's.  He pretty much said the same thing - totally worth the wait, best he's ever had, and the guy's been around. 

What I'm wondering is - what's Franklin doing that makes his brisket so great?  Because if you watch his videos on making brisket, it's about as simple as it gets.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I think it's the pit. Rumor is that he built a new larger pit but can't get it to duplicate the results on the old pit so he hasn't used it. Not sure if that's true but that's what I heard
  • I think it's the pit. Rumor is that he built a new larger pit but can't get it to duplicate the results on the old pit so he hasn't used it. Not sure if that's true but that's what I heard
    He was using it when we were there but may have been for the other stuff (ribs, pulled pork etc)

It's a beast
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    A friend of mine who lives here in NC was on a book tour (his book is about food - a very clever way to eat all over the country) and stopped at Franklin's.  He pretty much said the same thing - totally worth the wait, best he's ever had, and the guy's been around. 

What I'm wondering is - what's Franklin doing that makes his brisket so great?  Because if you watch his videos on making brisket, it's about as simple as it gets.  
    I don't know for sure, but I watched (or read)? an interview with him once where he mentioned taking the briskets off at 3:00am and putting something else in the smoker.  If that's correct then he does an 8 hr ftc.  Hell, I can't wait that long to eat after it's done.  The longest I've gone was maybe 3-4 hrs.  So my questions are what does he wrap it in? and what does he store them in? and at what temp does he store them?
  • brycos said:
    A friend of mine who lives here in NC was on a book tour (his book is about food - a very clever way to eat all over the country) and stopped at Franklin's.  He pretty much said the same thing - totally worth the wait, best he's ever had, and the guy's been around. 

I don't know for sure, but I watched (or read)? an interview with him once where he mentioned taking the briskets off at 3:00am and putting something else in the smoker.  If that's correct then he does an 8 hr ftc.  Hell, I can't wait that long to eat after it's done.  The longest I've gone was maybe 3-4 hrs.  So my questions are what does he wrap it in? and what does he store them in? and at what temp does he store them?
    Well I don't think they can possibly be in a cooler for that long.  It wouldn't be safe.  I think 4 hrs is the max.

So, yeah, I'd be curious to know how he's storing them as well.  It would still be difficult for me to believe that this would be what's making the difference though.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    brycos said:

Well I don't think they can possibly be in a cooler for that long.  It wouldn't be safe.  I think 4 hrs is the max.

So, yeah, I'd be curious to know how he's storing them as well.  It would still be difficult for me to believe that this would be what's making the difference though.  

I have heard he puts them in a colder part of the smoker which holds around 180 degrees.  So, it stops cooking but will be kept warm and safe to eat indefinitely.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    brycos said:

I don't understand it either, but the one time that I let it ftc for 3-4 hrs was the best one I've cooked.  It was the closest to having that jiggle you see in the Anthony Bourdain video when he went to Franklin's.  I don't know that this is the secret - you've probably cooked more brisket than I have - but the next time I cook one I'm going to ftc it in the oven for a long for a long time.