Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mickey's Coffee Rub?

What exactly is instant espresso ground coffee?  I'm not a coffee drinker so I don't have a clue.  Is this a specialty item or something that I can buy at a grocery store?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    It's dried (sometimes freeze dried) coffee and you can buy it at almost any store.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2013
    Espresso is a very fine grind, almost a powder. Instant espresso is like any other dehydrated instant coffee and you can pick it up at most grocery stores. As you are not a coffee drinker, you probably do not have any coffee beans laying around, so buy a small jar of instant espresso and you will be good to go for sometime. 
    For those of us who have beans in the cupboard, run them through the grinder until they are as fine as you can get them and follow Mickey's recipe. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2013
    I think the one Mickey uses looks like this:

If you can't find it- your grocery store might have a grinder where you can buy beans and grind them in the store.   Look for a machine like this in the coffee aisle:

There is usually a setting for "espresso", which just means a very fine grind like Skiddy pointed out. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    I think the one Mickey uses looks like this:

If you can't find it- your grocery store might have a grinder where you can buy beans and grind them in the store.   Look for a machine like this in the coffee aisle:

There is usually a setting for "espresso", which just means a very fine grind like Skiddy pointed out. 
    I found this coffee in the store today.  Thanks!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• In store grinders are becoming like vcr's with the invention of the Keurig
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I will be doing a spatchcocked turkey with that rub Thur morning ( along with a ham).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That specific brand works particularly well since it is a uniformly fine powder and thus distributes evenly in the rub. Since it is "instant", it dissolves nicely when cooked. Other instant coffee has a crystalline sort of texture and will not distribute as evenly throughout the rub. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Do you guys put the rub on right before the cook or should I put it on tonight when I'm letting the turkey rest in the fridge? Looking forward to using this rub for the first time.
  • warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279

Do you notice the ancho chili powder in the food you're using it on? I have friends who don't want to go anywhere near anything "hot" (fools!). Can you omit it from Mickey's recipe and still have a great rub?

BTW, I've got some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans I might try to "powder up"!

From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I hate when I have grounds in my cup of coffee.  I would think using ground beans in the rub, however fine, would be kind of the same.  I would use instant only.

BTW, I am considering using this rub tomorrow, but am doing an herb butter over and under the skin of the bird.  Any problem doing both?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    @ Cookinbob  I've never had a problem grinding my own in my Espresso Cocoa rub. I've been using it twice a week for a couple of years and never tasted like coffee grounds. I'll be doing the herb butter tomorrow with the rub. I'll do the butter as a paste then add the rub, will also melt some of the butter and use as a baste during the cook. Hope yours turns out well.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • can somebody please post Mickey coffee rub recipe please
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    can somebody please post Mickey coffee rub recipe please
    Here it is, he said in another thread he usually starts with 1/2 cup of coffee.
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Does ancho chili powder make it really hot?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    QDude said:
    I have no idea, I'm trying it for the first time tomorrow but I can't find any around here anyway.  May just use regular chili powder, haven't decided what I'll do yet.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Mickey
    edited November 2013
    warwoman said:

Do you notice the ancho chili powder in the food you're using it on? I have friends who don't want to go anywhere near anything "hot" (fools!). Can you omit it from Mickey's recipe and still have a great rub?

BTW, I've got some Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee beans I might try to "powder up"!

The Jamaican beans are just fine. This was started because some high dollar Kona beans were brought back and a rub was made by a very smart guy named Richard. Also correct: not hot -Ancho powder
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    jls9595 said:
    can somebody please post Mickey coffee rub recipe please
    Here it is, he said in another thread he usually starts with 1/2 cup of coffee.
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder

That is coffee ground beans ::::: not wet coffee ( just to be sure )

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    QDude said:

It's not at all hot. I'm not using it this thanksgiving but it is great stuff
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    what would you put this rub on ? beef or chicken
    Toronto
  • caliking
    warwoman said:

The rub has a slight sweetness to it. I used Santa Fe chili powder instead of ancho. After the first cook I added a few heaping teaspoons of cayenne to my test batch for some heat. it now has a pleasant warm finish, without being blazing. I wouldn't use good coffee for this rub though - it would be a waste of the coffee. If you need to get rid of the Jamaican Blue Mountain then go ahead, otherwise save it to relish later.

@pantsypants - I have used it on chicken, pork, and beef so far, and it was very tasty for such a simple rub. You may need a touch more salt and pepper on beef, but that depends on your taste. I added a touch of Slap Ya Mama Hot on a steak with the coffee rub and it was yummy.

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    awesome i cant wait to try this rub out !!!!
    Toronto
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Just mixed up a batch of this stuff. Smells great and can't wait to try it. I couldn't find instant espresso so I went with instant dark roast - should be close enough. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • I just made Mickey's coffee rub all I can say is it smells fantastic I can't wait to cook my turkey photos will follow
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mickey
    what would you put this rub on ? beef or chicken

My wife and Granddaughters really like it on sirloin about 1.25 thick and sliced about 1.25 so more area for rub and grilled in long strips. About once a month I put it on turkey legs on the egg

• NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137

Do I need to coat the bird with anything to have the rub adhere to the bird?

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • Mickey
    NJ_BBQ said:

Do I need to coat the bird with anything to have the rub adhere to the bird?

No

• I made the coffee rub it was insane my only complaint is the turkey looked burnt I guess it's the color of the coffee other wise absoutly deliscious Mickey big up yourself !!!!!
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Mickey
    I made the coffee rub it was insane my only complaint is the turkey looked burnt I guess it's the color of the coffee other wise absoutly deliscious Mickey big up yourself !!!!!

You are correct and thank you. Now try it on steaks and chicken and pork

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I used Mickeys coffee rub as well. Awesome rub!!! When I made it I may have messed up but I put the ingredients in my Bullet mixer to mix and everything went to a very fine powder, about the fineness of the coffee but it still worked well. Thank you @Mickey for the recipe!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    Mickey said:

You are correct and thank you. Now try it on steaks and chicken and pork
    +1. Great on just about anything.  Needed  a touch more salt for beef IMO.