Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try at Sous Vide Steak... w/pic.

Comments

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Isn't 114F in the "bad zone" as far as temp...i.e. it's not refrigerated, but not hot enough.  To do this properly, I'd think you'd want the water to be up around 130F. 

I guess you're not doing it long enough to technically be an issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danger_zone_(food_safety)

The temperature range in which food-borne bacteria can grow is known as the danger zone. Food safety agencies, such as the United States' Food Safety and Inspection Service, define the danger zone as roughly 4–5 to 60 °C (39–41 to 140 °F).[1][2][3]Potentially hazardous food should not be stored at temperatures in this range in order to prevent foodborne illness, and food that remains in this zone for more than two hours should not be consumed.[4] Foodborne microorganisms grow much faster in the middle of the zone, at temperatures between 21 and 47 °C (70 and 117 °F).[5]
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I sure don't know about the technicalities, but I've done it just exactly like I described for a whole bunch of steaks with no adverse experience at all.    :D
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    You are totally safe under 140. you wouldn't want to do it overnight at 114 but anything 4 hours or under is 100% safe even by the strictest guidelines. I usually SV steaks for an hour, maybe 2 at 125ish or so

The 2 hr window described above is shorter than any I have ever heard (even for old and sick people). 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited October 2013
    also, things are a little different with SV cooking. You can actually cook safely in the 130's for days. Food is eventually pasteurized at those temps and is perfectly safe to eat. I will say this: Know what you are doing if you go outside known safety standards. Here is a basic primer but really dig into this if yo are going to do 3-5 day cooks (and why wouldn't you if you have a SV)?

There will be two primary biological hazards in the meat, poultry, fish, vegetables or fruit that are cooked sous vide.

The first hazard is vegetative pathogens, and the regulatory target is Salmonella.  The goal is to cook the food in the pouch to a time and temperature to reduce Salmonella 100,000-to-1.  This will reduce the Salmonella from a maximum of 1,000 per gram in the raw food to 1 per 100 grams in the finished food.  Salmonella is used as the target organism, because it has been, and continues to be, a major cause of illness and kills an estimated 500 people each year.

The government-specified times and temperatures for this pasteurization are:

Center temperature

Hold time

130ºF

112 minutes

140ºF

11 minutes

150ºF

1 minute

155ºF

5 seconds

158ºF

instant (less than 1 second)

The second biological hazard common to the ingredients from the water and land farms are the spores, Clostridium botulinum [proteolytic (meat, poultry) and non-proteolytic (fish, seafood)], Bacillus cereus (cereal products), and Clostridium perfringens (meat, poultry, lentils).

When the food is pasteurized, Salmonella is reduced to an Appropriate Level of Protection (ALOP), but pasteurization temperatures have no kill effect on the spores.  Pasteurization just activates the spore.

IMPORTANT:
    It’s a rule-of-thumb that if you cook below 130°F (54.4°C) there is an increased risk for vegetative pathogen and parasite development. However, food safety depends on a combination of temperature, time, pH level and the freshness of the ingredients. Extended cooking time pasteurizes food and reduces potential Salmonella to an appropriate level.

Hold. 

• After the food is pasteurized, if the food is hotter than 130ºF, the spores cannot germinate and multiply, regardless of time.
    • One can hold / tenderize for 24 to 48 hours safely.  This is also a major feature of sous vide.
    • If the cooking temperature is 130 to 150ºF, there is an additional benefit.  The enzymes are very active, and the meat becomes very tender.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited October 2013
    I prefer cast iron but you do get some smoke from the lump. It burns really clean at that temp though so there is not a lot of smoke. Adding chunks is worthless- too fast and they don't add any flavor unless they are smoking (not burning).

If you like smoke on your steaks, you can get it in 30 seconds a side. I just prefer cast iron for that all over caramel crust

If you weren't chasing slicers around and had gone with the Polyscience you would have gotten the little smoking gun with the unit. Mine is still sitting in the carrying case.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Ah crap...I've been avoiding all the sous vides posts cuz I knew this was going to happen...now I want one. Guess this will be going on my Christmas list. Just hope I was a good boy this year. Already spent an hour looking at Anova, Sansaire and the Dork Food DSV (won't be sure my crockpots would work with this one until I get home from work so it might be out) and reading reviews and instructions and stuff. Thanks a lot guys. ;)

Off to do more research.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I prefer cast iron but you do get some smoke from the lump. It burns really clean at that temp though so there is not a lot of smoke. Adding chunks is worthless- too fast and they don't add any flavor unless they are smoking (not burning).

If you like smoke on your steaks, you can get it in 30 seconds a side. I just prefer cast iron for that all over caramel crust

If you weren't chasing slicers around and had gone with the Polyscience you would have gotten the little smoking gun with the unit. Mine is still sitting in the carrying case.
    Come on down to Centex's House Of Used Slicers! We're SLICING high prices! Working on RAZOR THIN margin's! and Cutting through the BS for you!!!!

Seriously though- I do have a slicer for sale

• Little Steven
    Oh I can just see me with that thing on a dolly saying "Hon, we're going to need to move your Kitchenaid out to the garage so I can put this up in the last bit of counterspace I haven't filled up with my sh!t" How bout we move your ass out to the garage with all your stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Oh I can just see me with that thing on a dolly saying "Hon, we're going to need to move your Kitchenaid out to the garage so I can put this up in the last bit of counterspace I haven't filled up with my sh!t" How bout we move your ass out to the garage with all your stuff.
    @Little_Steven, This exact sentiment is why I always budget a couch into all of my "unauthorized" purchases. This isn't thinking hard, it's thinking smart!
  • it may look like a slicer but in fact it is actually the last straw................Come on down to Centex's!
  • Should I assume that the ones that circulate the water might be better at holding accurate temp? I think I am bout to jump on the band wagon here. Trying to figure it all out. Wondering if the whole unit is better than just the circulator...considering storage etc. I need all the help/opinions I can can get. 
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • another question...is it safe to hold meat at these low temps for hours? Worried about bacteria growth
    Rome, GA
  • mine holds perfect temp and does not circulate. It won't flux a single degree over days. I think the circulator helps avoid pockets of different temps but my stuff has always been perfect. Circulation is probably better but knowing what I've seen, not worth a lot of money for most users.

It is safe to hold meat at those temps as long as you follow the guidelines. It is a very safe way to cook but you can screw it up if you don't know what you are doing. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    jtippers said:
    I have the Anova and I Love it.
    @Aquacop - the OP here, @jtippers likes the Anova, which is available for $220 delivered in the lower 48. It is a circulating controller. Although I have hot tubbed steaks, it is time to bite the bullet. The original home use units were all in the $400 range minimum, now for $200 you are in business. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited October 2013
    If I had to do it all over again I would buy the cheaper PolyScience circulator ( I think they are around $500). It's much more flexible than a single unit because you can change the size and shape of the container. It's also easier to store but I do keep my demi on the counter.....right next to my giant slicer :)

All that being said, $199 is a great deal for the Demi and for most people, it will be more than enough.

• Are there contraints/restraints with the type of container that I should be aware of if I get a circulator?
    Rome, GA
  • constraints
    Rome, GA
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    krobertsmsn - I have right at $250 in my set-up (Anova circulator and cambro)... I know the Sous Vide Demi is on sale now, but it is limited by the amount of water that will fit in the unit. I like the flexibility I get from the circulator plus it can handle up to 6 gallons of water.. It will fit on a large stock pot or one of these cambro containers (this one came from Amazon).

Just my 2cents...
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that's a good setup.

• Little Steven
    Should I assume that the ones that circulate the water might be better at holding accurate temp? I think I am bout to jump on the band wagon here. Trying to figure it all out. Wondering if the whole unit is better than just the circulator...considering storage etc. I need all the help/opinions I can can get. 
    The circulation is to look after any spots that might be overlapped or bent or for multiple bags together. I think the racking that C-T has prevents that. I don't have a tank, just a big stock pot.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    jtippers said:
    I have the Anova and I Love it.
    @Aquacop - the OP here, @jtippers likes the Anova, which is available for $220 delivered in the lower 48. It is a circulating controller. Although I have hot tubbed steaks, it is time to bite the bullet. The original home use units were all in the $400 range minimum, now for $200 you are in business. 
    I think some of the first ones were too scientific.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The Nomiku is very close in specs to the PS creative for 300 bucks. I believe it is still in pre-order stage.
  • One LAST question...(I think)..does it stand in container or clip on? If it stands, is it likely to fall over?

BTW-THANK YOU for all of the input!!!!!

:):)
    Rome, GA
  • jtippers
    The Anova hangs on the side of your container and is secured by a set screw. I read a review before I bought mine where I guy used it standing in a pan... but I have not tried this yet. Good luck!

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited October 2013
    CT - the Polyscience crowd is feeling the pressure I think. They have a Discovery series $300, the Creative is still $400. 
    Folks like yourself, early adopters, will pay considerable more to be there first with units like the Supreme, still very good by all accounts. The fact is you have had a couple of years experiencing great food that the rest of us are only just discovering, you only live once, might as well do it right!

I like the Anova, will put it through its paces when it gets here. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Damn. This. Forum.

Knowing me,  a sous vide controller will eventually find its way to my home. I just have to figure out the best way to distract SWMBO when it arrives.

Damn you all! :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Well....after deliberation I pulled the trigger and just purchased the Anova. Decision was based on pump capacity, tank capacity, price point and rec from y'all. Now I just can't wait! Christmas came early.....Gotta figure out the container now  :\">
    Rome, GA
  • @jtippers-what size is your container and are you happy with that choice? Would you rec a small, deep vessel for smaller items such as eggs? Anything else I should know?
    Rome, GA
  • jtippers
    Here is the container I bought...
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You really can't go much smaller due to the space limitations of the Anova. I am pulling this this from memory and that is a little fuzzy right now (babies are screaming and its 2 am - bottles are warming)... but I think it requires at least an 8" deep vessel to ride in. You will enjoy it. Congrats!

• Couldn't you keep those bottles warm and ready w/Anova? LOL
    Rome, GA