Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Demi on Sale for 5 Days

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I have the sous vide supreme chef and like it.  I also have the Sansair on order.  I haven't used the Demi but here is the offer I saw today

To our valued SousVide Supreme customers, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We want to take this opportunity to thank you for your business, and we hope you are enjoying the SousVide Supreme or SousVide Supreme Demi you purchased.  

You may have friends and family members now interested in getting one themselves.

We are happy to extend this very special FRIENDS AND FAMILY offer to you: purchase a SousVide Supreme Demi for ONLY $199!  (reg $329)

Please take advantage of the offer yourself or forward to a friend or family member.

For 5 DAYS ONLY, purchase a SousVide Supreme Demi for only $199. 

Enter promo code 199DEMI at www.sousvidesupreme.com during checkout to receive discount. Valid on black and red SousVide Supreme Demis only.

You will also receive FREE Shipping* on your order!  SHOP NOW >

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• OK- that is a score. I paid $399 for mine and i love it. I would get the polyscience submersible at that price now but $199 for the demi is a nice deal. I've cooked tons of food in it and it works like a champ.It's probably priced where it should be now that there are all these SV startups showing up everywhere.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Probably foolish on my part without doing any research but I just took the plunge and purchased one. We will see how it works. Thanks for the advice.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • ha! It's a good deal. I've had mine for 2 years and have cooked tons of food in it. I think for that price you can't go wrong. So what if you have to sell it for $100 if you don't like it? No biggie.  Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Aquacop said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Probably foolish on my part without doing any research but I just took the plunge and purchased one. We will see how it works. Thanks for the advice.
    Please feel free to ignore my other post about the cooler method!  Way to jump it :).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• But it doesn't actively circulate, correct?

Debating between this, Anova, and Sansaire

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I'm leaning towards the Anova - based totally on storage space vs the Demi. Like CT says, have heard nothing but great comments on the results obtained with either the Supreme or Demi.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Can you get 4 nice sized steaks in the Demi? Great price. Was researching the Supreme the last couple of days but best price on that I can find is Bed Bath Beyond at $340. I'm thinking now I'll save the $100 and get this Demi. Thoughts?
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • You can get huge steaks in the Demi. I have a post on here somewhere.
  • 200 bucks is in my price range. I always questioned these things as some complicated, expensive gourmet appliance that's out of my league, but the page above claims they are low maintenance and fool-proof with excellent results. Now it's got my attention.

I need to come up with a plan for my egg leftovers. Will this thing make my frozen food that much more edible than in the microwave? I would also need to get a foodsaver too, right?

Gittin' there...
  • It's way easer than egging. WAY easier. You would need a food saver too but you'll use the hell out of it. It's great for rewarming leftovers right out of the freezer.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Yeah pull the trigger! It's easy and you just need to follow a temp guide. First couple of times I over spiced cause you don't lose any flavor in the cooking progress but that's all there is to know.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I'm leaning towards the Anova - based totally on storage space vs the Demi. Like CT says, have heard nothing but great comments on the results obtained with either the Supreme or Demi.
    I was about the pull the trigger on this, but looking for reviews, I also happened on the Anova, which is the same prices as this special deal, but has the advantages of being smaller (less to store) and just the heater/circulator, so you can heat whatever size vessel of water you need...assuming the Anova can provide enough juice to heat or maintain the temp.  Downside, I assume, is that you're likely going to have an open/poorly insulated vessel, so it's going to have to work a lot harder.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Thanks CTS! That sold me. Ordering now.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • njl said:

I was about the pull the trigger on this, but looking for reviews, I also happened on the Anova, which is the same prices as this special deal, but has the advantages of being smaller (less to store) and just the heater/circulator, so you can heat whatever size vessel of water you need...assuming the Anova can provide enough juice to heat or maintain the temp.  Downside, I assume, is that you're likely going to have an open/poorly insulated vessel, so it's going to have to work a lot harder.

All correct. Mine is limited by being a rigid form. No flexibility I what you can do. I've never needed more but I like the flexibility of the circulators. That being said, mine looks cool so it sits out on the counter. It's totally silent and crazy efficient. They both have advantages. I can tell you that for $200 for the Demi, it's a great deal and more than most home cooks need. I love the flexibility of the circulators but you can't go wrong at this price point with either of them.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    How many decent size steaks (to me, decent size is like 1.5-2lb minimum ribeyes) can you fit in one?

I suspect full racks of ribs would be impossible...but if you cut babyback racks in half (about 6-7 bones per half rack), could you fit those in the demi?  Would you want to?

If I set one of these in the morning with steaks in it, at say 130F, is there really an advantage to them cooking 10 hours? 

I was actually thinking about getting one for me, one to give to my parents (if I can get both at the deal price), but I'm wondering how much either of us would actually use it.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Anyone have the dimensions (internal and external) of the Demi?

Was trying to pace myself and pull the trigger on a SV setup later, but a deal is a deal. I like the idea of a circulator better, and liked the smaller form factor of the Anova (read needs less space for storage). Also like that it can be plonked into any water vessel (as long as it is minimum 8" deep). With the Demi, one would be somewhat limited by the size of the unit - can you fit a bone-in leg of lamb in it? But the Demi would be better insulated than an open Anova type setup, and would possibly last longer.

Decisions, decisions...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • What would be a good Foodsaver package to get, with this and the Egg in mind?
    Gittin' there...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2013
    njl said:

How many decent size steaks (to me, decent size is like 1.5-2lb minimum ribeyes) can you fit in one?

I suspect full racks of ribs would be impossible...but if you cut babyback racks in half (about 6-7 bones per half rack), could you fit those in the demi?  Would you want to?

If I set one of these in the morning with steaks in it, at say 130F, is there really an advantage to them cooking 10 hours? 

I was actually thinking about getting one for me, one to give to my parents (if I can get both at the deal price), but I'm wondering how much either of us would actually use it.

You can fit 4 fat steaks and probably 8 chicken breasts. You could probably do 2 racks of ribs but would have to cut them down. Could probably do a 5-7 lb roast/butt, whole chickens if halved or quartered.

We use ours most every week and have for 2 years. We cook a lot though. I've thought about getting one for my inlaws as they are getting way older and not cooking as much. It's perfect for that. Super easy and can't screw it up. Quick pan sear or oven broil and you have awesome, healthy, flavorful, perfectly cooked food. They can do several chicken breasts or steaks at a time and then warm them as they want. They are a blank canvas (I don't season in the bath) so you can have Asian chicken one night and chicken salad for lunch and then fajitas the next day. All with 5-10 minutes of prep. You can also freeze right in the bag and then drop back in the SV to reheat when you are ready. It is actually a very practical, safe, easy way to cook good food. You can make totally safe, pasteurized soft boiled eggs too. Drop. Dozen in and you have breakfast for a week.

If you are talking about putting steaks or chicken in before you go to work and then finishing when you get home- that is a perfect use for SV. Steaks and chicken are ready in an hour or so but will hold at perfect temp all day. Just be mindful of the safety charts to make sure your temp is high enough to keep the food pasteurized. This is more for med rare steak than yardbird as 147 is the lowest recommended temp for chicken breast.

The food will get more tender the longer you cook it. I really prefer steak and chicken breast between 2 and 4 hrs but they are very good when they go longer too.
  • dlk7
    Here is a 4 pound brisket in my Sous Vide Supreme that I put in Friday night for dinner Sunday.  It is set at 135 degrees and I'll let it stay in the machine for about 48 hours and then re-rub with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust course and then smoke on the egg for an hour at 225 degrees.image

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7 said:

Here is a 4 pound brisket in my Sous Vide Supreme that I put in Friday night for dinner Sunday.  It is set at 135 degrees and I'll let it stay in the machine for about 48 hours and then re-rub with Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust course and then smoke on the egg for an hour at 225 degrees.image

So plenty of room for a bigger brisket. Do you have the Demi or the big one?
  • dlk7

I have the bigger one

Here are the Demi Specs:

8.7 liters/2.3 gallon water capacity holds 12 four-ounce portions

• One-touch precision control panel

• Non-stick coated cavity

• Aluminum lid

• Detachable power cord

• Base grill and rack separate food pouches

• Size: 11.3"H x 10.96"W x 12.99"L

• Power: 120Vac 60Hz 550W

• Model: SVS09L

• Imported

Here are the Supreme Specs

- MODEL SVS-10LS 
    - WATER BATH – SINGLE 
    - TOTAL VOLUME 11.2 LITERS (2.96 GALLONS) 
    - MAX COOKING CAPACITY 10 LITERS (2.6 GALLONS) 
    - 110-120 VOLT 

DIMENSIONS (W/D/H):
    - OVERALL 11.4”/14.2”/11.4” (29CM/36CM/29CM)

- BATH 9.9”/12.6”/6.8” (25CM/32CM/17CM)

- WEIGHT 13 LBS (5.9 KG)

Waunakee, WI

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458

... You can make totally safe, pasteurized soft boiled eggs too. Drop. Dozen in and you have breakfast for a week.
    How do you reheat/serve previously sous vide soft boiled eggs?
    canuckland

• njl said:

... You can make totally safe, pasteurized soft boiled eggs too. Drop. Dozen in and you have breakfast for a week.

How do you reheat/serve previously sous vide soft boiled eggs?

Best way is back In the SV at like 120. They are so great. You cut the top of the shell off and just pour them out like gelatin. We do them with toast (like egg in a frame or whatever you call it where you live).
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    How long do you reboil at 120?

I used to cut off the top too but struggled with the pour.  Now I simply crack it like a raw egg, much easier, give that a try!
    canuckland
  • 10-15 minutes or so. They warm up pretty quickly. But you can leave them
    In for a few hours if you want to. As long as you are under the temp that will cook them further. You can go hotter but I read somewhere that 120 is the perfect "mouth feel" for reheated food. Whatever the hell that means.
  • Got one on the way, now for a Fooodsaver. Thanks for the heads up!
    Gittin' there...
  • Got one on the way, now for a Fooodsaver. Thanks for the heads up!

cool.Hit me up if you need any tips.It's so much easier than cooking with the egg. You just need to learn some cool basic finishing techniques (egg, pan sear, broil, torch, sauce etc). This will make you a better cook but we really use it for the simple things more than not. Chicken breast, fish, scallops, eggs etc.
  • Darn, I missed the date. I called to see if they will honor the promo still, waiting for a call back. 
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Spent the weekend selling the idea to SWMBO, and got the green light. Ordered it last night, before she had a chance to change her mind. What sold her was the prospect of (possibly) warming baby bottles with it and later making baby food at home. She said I should quit my day job and go into marketing. :D

Now I need to figure out which Foodsaver to get. Was thinking of buying the 4880 from Costco, but it is pricier than other basic models. Topic for a new thread?

Damn you all for the temptations you throw my way!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.