Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-n pellet smoker

Good day all,

Anyone has experience with this product?

http://www.amazon.com/A-maze-n-Pellet-Smoker/dp/B007ROPJ1M/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

What did you use it for and what are your feedback on it? Also what was your setup? (with or without charcoal)

Thanks.

Cheers!

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929

I have a lot of experience with it for cold smoking cheese and mainly bacon. I got the pellet package. Works well, but the tip is to place it in the oven with the pellets for 20 minutes prior to lighting. Before doing this, it would go out a good bit. Now, I can get smoke for 12 hours if I want to. Good product.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    I have one. My friend has one. Great for cold smoking cheese, nuts, etc.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    What Chubbs said.  I think Cen-tex has one too.  
    Works great. I used it for bacon, salmon and cheese.
  • dorfami
    dorfami Posts: 50
    Would this work for beef jerky?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2013
    I do have one and I don't season the pellets in the oven. I hit them with a torch and let them burn for 5 and blow it out. Goes 12-14 hours. It's a great product.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Check out the A-maze-n web site. They often have deals on the smoker and pellets/dust. Watch for their sales, unless you are in a hurry..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I bought the stuff to make one....it's in the pipe.  Sheet of the perforated steel was $19.  Enough to make a large one - probably 20 hour burn.
    My wife bought me one last fall - it has been fantastic!!!

I smoke cheese with it and it is awesome.  Picture to prove it!!
  • I guess I should say I use Traeger pellets. I only use it for bacon so I bought 20lbs of apple. You may need to season the ams pellets but I haven't seen that to be the case with the Traeger pellets. Chubbs sucks.....that was weird. Dang it.
  • Chubbs

Chubbs sucks, huh???

Yeah, the AMS pellets kep going out so I called them up. They told me to season them in the oven for 20 mins before lighting. This was in cold weather. He said in warm weather just light it up. Like my man CT said, torch it, let it burn for a beer, and then blow it out.

• Chubbs said:

Chubbs sucks, huh???

Yeah, the AMS pellets kep going out so I called them up. They told me to season them in the oven for 20 mins before lighting. This was in cold weather. He said in warm weather just light it up. Like my man CT said, torch it, let it burn for a beer, and then blow it out.

That was obviously the bourbon talking. I never would have said that had I known you were following the thread.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited July 2013
    Cen-Tex, you never have to oven condition your pellets 'cause you live in an oven.....

My son conditions his in the oven because we live in a rain forest and the burn is much more consistent if they are dry. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cen-Tex, you never have to oven condition your pellets 'cause you live in an oven.....

Man it feels that way right now. 100+ for the next few days but plunging into the low 90's by Sunday. That what we call a strong cold front around here :))
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs said:

Chubbs sucks, huh???

That was obviously the bourbon talking. I never would have said that had I known you were following the thread.
    Blame it on the bourbon... I follow all threads.... I am a forum moderator afterall....
    >-)
  • Tixunau
    Tixunau Posts: 71

Thanks folks. Will pick one up and try it!

Cheers.