Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Found this in my BGE lump

It melted and stuck to my electric starter. Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Moon rock
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Frog.  :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    NSA tracking device
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I have really bad allergies, and when I do a sinus flush...........
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    YEMTrey said:
    I was thinking the same thing...
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    edited June 2013

YEMTrey said:
    Well that piece of "snot" is about 1.5". If that is what is coming out of your nose, I'd suggest that you get to the doctor ASAP.

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    JRWhitee said:
    That's what I saw, too! ;))
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I found a rock in my lump the other day. My first bag of bge lump too. I just bought some royal oak! For 24 bones a bag, it shouldn't have anything other than lump in it.
    NW IOWA
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    I have never found any ping pong balls in my bags of RO from wally world. No wonder the BGE brand costs so much.
    ------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Plastic, hard to say what it was after the starter altered its shape......did it smoke much? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    That's gold, Jerry, gold!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BrotherEgg
    BrotherEgg Posts: 95
    Plastic, hard to say what it was after the starter altered its shape......did it smoke much? 
    Didn't smoke. It was stuck to my electric starter when I pulled it out. It came off pretty easily. It looked like a tar-like substance

_______________________________________________________________________________
    Large BGE, PSWoo3, 13"CI grid, Grid Extender, Weber Genesis B Gasser/BGE Storage Cabinet
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    A shred if insulation that melted. I had a small piece in a bag of RO a couple of years ago.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Looks like a dinosaur egg!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I have been finding a lot of rock or ceramic in my royal old from Walmart. At least one piece per bag

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Looks "radioactive" to me?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Looks like the melted plastic tip of a 1987 Panasonic vibrator.
    Panasonic makes vibrators? :((

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    JRWhitee said:
    Panasonic makes vibrators? :((
    That's what Little Steven tells me. ;)
    I found these about two years ago in BGE lump. They very much looked like glass. 

Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    JRWhitee said:
    That's what I saw, too! ;))
    +1

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

In defense (even if it's for the competition), it happens......especially the rocks.  A rock covered in char dust looks a lot like a chunk of charcoal, especially when you have 5 lbs per second coming down the feed ramp into the bag.

All kinds of things get wedged, hammered, and/or shot into trees.  Wire, fencing, bailing string, etc get wrapped around them.  Fast forward 50 yrs and the tree has grown those items and has made an ugly knot(s).  Those knots get tossed out of the mill and they get made into charcoal.  Sometimes you won't even see that item until after the charcoal has been burned up because it was completely encased

Now, manufacturing related junk in your charcoal is another story--concrete, insulation, metal banding, etc.  This is more identifiable, but still slips by sometimes.

Give them (and us) a break on the rocks at least.  If the lump charcoal industry has to guarantee that there isn't a single 1 oz rock in a 20 lbs bag of charcoal, you're going to have to pay 4x a bag what you're paying now.  If everyone is cool with a single rock in every other bags, it will keeping charcoal prices stable (well, at least for the manufacturing portion of the cost........can't control fuel or wood prices.  We experience the lumber cost changes six-fold.)

BTW, if you're lucky enough to find an arrowhead, civil war era bullet, or old coin in one of our bags, I will gladly take it off your hands for you.  :)

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Looks like the melted plastic tip of a 1987 Panasonic vibrator.
    That would truly be a pity, definitely a classic instrument and deserves a much better fate than ending up in a bag of lump. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    I have been finding a lot of rock or ceramic in my royal oak from Walmart. At least one piece per bag

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    No clue what you have there in that frog/snot like item but I bet it wouldn't have smelled very good.

I can deal with a rock per bag. I'm not crazy about finding stuff like this: Insulation Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A nice heavy chunk of metal 1/2" thick x 8 1/2" long Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

And a good chunk of brick Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Still haven't found any really cool items yet. However, I might attach a handle to the piece of metal and use it as a lump buster.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,616
    I find insulation in bags of royal oak on a regular basis.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2013

In defense (even if it's for the competition), it happens......especially the rocks.  A rock covered in char dust looks a lot like a chunk of charcoal, especially when you have 5 lbs per second coming down the feed ramp into the bag.

All kinds of things get wedged, hammered, and/or shot into trees.  Wire, fencing, bailing string, etc get wrapped around them.  Fast forward 50 yrs and the tree has grown those items and has made an ugly knot(s).  Those knots get tossed out of the mill and they get made into charcoal.  Sometimes you won't even see that item until after the charcoal has been burned up because it was completely encased

Now, manufacturing related junk in your charcoal is another story--concrete, insulation, metal banding, etc.  This is more identifiable, but still slips by sometimes.

Give them (and us) a break on the rocks at least.  If the lump charcoal industry has to guarantee that there isn't a single 1 oz rock in a 20 lbs bag of charcoal, you're going to have to pay 4x a bag what you're paying now.  If everyone is cool with a single rock in every other bags, it will keeping charcoal prices stable (well, at least for the manufacturing portion of the cost........can't control fuel or wood prices.  We experience the lumber cost changes six-fold.)

BTW, if you're lucky enough to find an arrowhead, civil war era bullet, or old coin in one of our bags, I will gladly take it off your hands for you.  :)

Sometimes I think so folks have a vision of Ethyl and Lucy in their pink dresses and hairnets processing the pieces of candy as they come down the line, if you ever saw that episode, lol!  Nope, charcoal ain't like that.

Lucy's Famous Chocolate Scene

The Naked Whiz
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I found a piece of barbed wire in a bag of RO. Turns out it was about 90-100 years old. The Texas State Museum has a collection of barbed wire so it was easy to date.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • rwingard
    rwingard Posts: 1

In my last bag of RO I had big piece of pine bark.  I'm ok with a rock or two but having pine in the bag is a little concerning.