Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hardest cook for me to master

I always had trouble getting the pizza off the peel onto the stone until I saw posts where people were using parchment paper. This completely solved my problem. Now I cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the stone and while the stone is preheating in the oven, I make the pizza on the paper. (I find it is quicker to heat the stone in the oven while the egg and platesetter heat up). When my egg is up to temp, I transfer the stone into the egg to let it get as hot as the egg. ( I use my woo with platesetter, then stone on top of that.) Once it's ready, I slide pizza/parchment on and leave it all til it's done, around seven minutes, then slide it back off. Slide paper out and crust is perfect. I only get burnt edges if I leave the dough hanging over. Now I get to enjoy doing toppings instead of fighting with the crust!image
"If you have the means, I highly recommend it." - Ferris Bueller

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Nice. Boy does that look good. That is still the cook I need to nail. Need more practice time.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2013
    Looks great! Parchment works great, but I pull mine out after a few minutes. I feel I get better crust when I do that.

Oh, did you make your own dough?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • I haven't gotten brave enough to try to pull out the parchment! And I use Publix dough-used to fight with it til I learned to give it time to rest between rolling attempts.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Pizzas are a blast!! And a tough one to master.

Great looking pie!

XLBGE 
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I would image the pie would fly off the peel at that angle...

;)

Nice looking pizza :)
  • Ha, sorry, on my I-pad the picture is upright. And thanks, it was yummy!
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited May 2013

My toughest cook too.  Keep practicing, it'll all come together.  What really put my over the top was when I started making my own dough.  Cortguitarman helped my out with that way back when.
    I've found that if the pizza stone is properly preheated (I find 15/20 minutes in plenty) the pizza won't stick. All I do is rub some flour on the peel, put the pressed out dough on the peel, quickly assemble the pie, shake occasionally while you assemble to make sure the dough isn't sticking, slide the pie onto the hot stone. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Maybe I'll get my nerve up to try it without the parchment paper again, someday. I just got tired of watching my toppings slide off the dough onto the stone! I would like to try making my own dough though.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Maybe I'll get my nerve up to try it without the parchment paper again, someday. 
    I hear ya, I used parchment in the beginning too.  The key to going without parchment is to rub the wooden peel with flour and keep shaking it while you assemble.  It only takes a second to shake it and will keep it from sticking.  Once on the hot stone, you can rotate after a couple minutes as the crust sets up quick.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• WiltOnTilt
    WiltOnTilt Posts: 102
    Corn meal worked well for me this weekend to get the pie off the peel
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Once I learned about the parchment paper trick, the quality of my pizza making went up exponentially.  It's so much easier to prepare, transfer, remove, etc. We typically make three or four pizzas on pizza night, so speed was a huge factor.  Parchment was a Godsend.

I do suggest removing the parchment a few minutes into the cook to get the crust a little crispier.  When you lay out the dough and trim the paper, just leave a tab big enough to grab a hold of.  I've never had one stick. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• dlt
    dlt Posts: 14

Does anyone have a fail-proof homemade pizza dough recipe? Would love to have it-thanks!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited May 2013

Looks great. I'm a big fan of the parchment paper trick. man, I really do miss pizza.

@dlt - what type of crust are you looking for? Thin, hand tossed, deep dish?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @dlt

Here is the Zippylip one.

This Serious eats one is great.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Maybe I'll get my nerve up to try it without the parchment paper again, someday. I just got tired of watching my toppings slide off the dough onto the stone! I would like to try making my own dough though.
    Pizza has been a staple for years, even though I don't need parchment, I use it every time. It is simply foolproof. Like @Cazzy says, pull the paper after 3 to 5 minutes. Once the crust starts to set, you can grab a piece of the paper with tongs while holding the pie with a spatula or tongs and just slide it out. 
    I make the paper the same size as the stone and the pie at least 1" smaller. This lets you grab the paper and rotate the pie before you pull the paper. 
    Is your setter legs down? That will make the edges of the stone even hotter as the edge will get hit with direct IR from the lump. 
    Nice looking pie!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dlt
    dlt Posts: 14
    Hey Griffin and Eggcelsior-thin and/or hand-tossed as I am (or have been before the BGE) a perpetual dieter-thanks for the Zippylip recipe and I know I am in good company if the recipe says drink a brew while you wait!