Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jacaard...OMG

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I found a nice little pair of porterhouse steaks for Sunday dinner, and decided to try out my new Jacaard on the strip side of each of them.

imageimage

Wow.  It made the strip side of these steaks as tender as tenderloin.  Only "problem" was, I'd read in the instructions that it would reduce cooking time, but that slipped my mind while grilling them...and I kind of babied the tenderloin sides, keeping them to the outside edge of the grill.  By the time the strip sides were as done as I wanted, the tenderloin sides were still very rare...but hey, I like very rare steak...so it wasn't really a problem.  These were 2.3lbs together...I finished mine.  My wife only ate half of hers for dinner.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,647
    Options
    Looks damn good. :-bd

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I have ebbs and flows with the Jaccard-about the only hunk of meat that I even think about using it on is a brisket flat-curious as to what prompted you to give the porterhouse strip a shot.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I had to look up "Jaccard". I wouldn't think a porterhouse steak would need any tenderizing. Sounds like it worked out great though.

I use the old hammer with cleats on it for tenderizing.  I think the only cuts I use it on are flank steak and, sometimes, skirt steak.  Also, chicken breasts when I want to flatten them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I would eat that
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Options
    @njl - Great looking steaks and welcome to the Jaccard club. Which one(s) do you have?
    I use mine (15 knife) on strip loin and sirloin all the time. We seldom cook T-bones anymore for exactly the reasons you state and our senior citizen stomachs can't eat that much anymore. 
    The 45 knife unit is excellent for round roast/steak that you are marinating, deli slice or stir fries. Not only does it tenderize it really helps the meat take on the flavor of the marinade. Using the Food Saver marinating dish, the taste can almost be too strong. 
    Pork loin, either roast or cut into chops is also a good use of the Jaccard. 
    Originally I bought the 45 knife for cutlets/schnitzels, makes a very tender schnitzel without flattening the meat. Boneless skinless chicken breast flattens and tenderizes very well.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would say to be careful eating meats that are cooked under 140 internal once you hit them with the Jaccard. You are essentially eating ground beef once you take all the contamination from the outside and shove it inside with the Jaccard. I would treat it the same (because it is the same).

Not saying don't, just know that there is a risk to it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    @njl - Great looking steaks and welcome to the Jaccard club. Which one(s) do you have?
    I use mine (15 knife) on strip loin and sirloin all the time. We seldom cook T-bones anymore for exactly the reasons you state and our senior citizen stomachs can't eat that much anymore. 
    The 45 knife unit is excellent for round roast/steak that you are marinating, deli slice or stir fries. Not only does it tenderize it really helps the meat take on the flavor of the marinade. Using the Food Saver marinating dish, the taste can almost be too strong. 
    Pork loin, either roast or cut into chops is also a good use of the Jaccard. 
    Originally I bought the 45 knife for cutlets/schnitzels, makes a very tender schnitzel without flattening the meat. Boneless skinless chicken breast flattens and tenderizes very well.

@skiddymarker - I got turned on to schnitzel at a place near San Antonio about ten years ago. Do you have any good recipes for breading or sauces (jäger or rahm cream)? Sorry, not meaning to hijack the thread.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited May 2013
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker - great advice. Everything that the Jaccard touches is cooked to at least 140. Unfortunately, there is a good chance that the steak you buy may have been commercially "knifed", sometimes the label says so. @scooter759 - We prefer pork loin (one of those big cryovac <$20 ones) or chicken cut to about 1/2" thick, fat trimmed completely, Jaccarded, pounded with a skillet to about 1/4". Standard breading line: dry dredge - 1/3 cornstarch, 2/3 flour; dip in beaten eggs; dredge in bread crumbs. Use dry/old french bread crumbs (no panko) with 1 Tbs flour and 1 Tbs corn flake crumbs per cup of bread crumb. S&P to taste. Don't press the crumbs too hard onto the schnitzel.  In a 12" skillet fry using canola, corn or veggie oil, enough to just float the schnitzels. When they are ready to flip, add 1 Tbs butter in the center and swish them around. Oil for heat, butter for taste. Remove, pat dry and serve. We use lemon to season. Our German friends use Knorr Hunter's Gravy if they sauce. I'll ask her about a cream sauce. I sometimes add spices to the flour dredge and dijon to the egg wash - she just shakes her head and tells me I'm a dum-kopf. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    Options
    I use eye of round for jerky, sliced with the grain and jaccard like crazy.  Minimum fat contents, absorbs the marinade well, still has the pull yet tender.
    canuckland
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

This is one of the nicest ones I've seen. It does everything.

http://www.butcherskitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/BK_Impressor_Plus.pdf

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.