Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Redneck Sous Vide Chicken

I have been reading about Sous Vide for the last year and have always had an interest. I kept thinking I needed one of those high dollar machines everyone has so that kind of made me steer away from it. Well I have a food saver and a LC and a Gas stove so I thought what the hell I can do this. I got me some chicken breasts and vacuum sealed them with some Italian dressing. Dropped them in the bath (135) at 8AM and let them got for 11 Hours. Dusted them with some DP Tsunami Spin and tossed them on indirect at 375.

Had also made up this Hearts of Palm Salad I had made.

• Cherry Tomatoes
  • Hearts of Palm
  • Mozzarella
  • Basil
  • Lemon Juice
  • EVOO
  • Truffle Oil

Dont ask me the exact amounts on the salad because I just go with the flow and what tastes right is what I eat.

To be honest this Chicken was like butter melting in my mouth. I am positive anytime I do chicken breats it will be this way. I cant wait to try a steak now.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

SV.JPG 530.4K
SV1.JPG 654.6K
SV2.JPG 569.2K

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Way to go buddy. I still haven't tried it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    How did you maintain and regulate temp? I've heard of people having to add ice and what not with your method.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    How did you maintain and regulate temp? I've heard of people having to add ice and what not with your method.

I Got a gas stove. The temp moved - and +1 through out the whole day. I was actually shocked it didnt budge.

The LC might have something to do with it also,

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Looks great! Man, your wife needs to get my wife to dress up our dining room table lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ddegger
    ddegger Posts: 244
    I've got a hot tub on the patio right next to my egg - think it will work?!
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
  • next time do a fast sear (not indirect).It's even better. Whn you go indirect, you are cooking the meat further instead of just getting a fast sear after letting the SV do it's work. you'll geIt's almost time to fire up that sweet @$$ pool your lovely bride got you last year, no? Redneck SV setups, BGE, and redneck pool options with that mess of crew you run with sounds like a great summer to me.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TUTTLE871
    next time do a fast sear (not indirect).

I did go Direct, Sorry a typo. I was in food Never Ever Land when I wrote this.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2013
    And.... 11 hrs at 135 is a little sketchy.
    1-4 hrs at 147 is the number. Welcome to the club. I'll never make chicken breast any other way.
  • TUTTLE871
    next time do a fast sear (not indirect).It's even better. Whn you go indirect, you are cooking the meat further instead of just getting a fast sear after letting the SV do it's work. you'll geIt's almost time to fire up that sweet @$$ pool your lovely bride got you last year, no? Redneck SV setups, BGE, and redneck pool options with that mess of crew you run with sounds like a great summer to me.

Also was looking at the pool today in the garage, Wife said three weeks and its going up. I have some tilling tat needs to be done to get the ground level, last year the pool was on a slight tilt.

This summer I see some broken limbs in my future, we are rigging up a Zip Line at my parents lake house.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:

next time do a fast sear (not indirect).It's even better. Whn you go indirect, you are cooking the meat further instead of just getting a fast sear after letting the SV do it's work. you'll geIt's almost time to fire up that sweet @$$ pool your lovely bride got you last year, no? Redneck SV setups, BGE, and redneck pool options with that mess of crew you run with sounds like a great summer to me.

Also was looking at the pool today in the garage, Wife said three weeks and its going up. I have some tilling tat needs to be done to get the ground level, last year the pool was on a slight tilt.

This summer I see some broken limbs in my future, we are rigging up a Zip Line at my parents lake house.

Dude- yes. That is awesome. Pics please.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Neat cook. Pretty amazing that you were able to hold your temp steady like that on a gas stove!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Well done sir!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Brain Fart on "LC"....
    Dunedin, FL
  • TUTTLE871
    yzzi said:
    Brain Fart on "LC"....

Le Creuset..

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Eggcelsior
    I will need to try this. I am 2/3 of the way there with gas and LC.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very nice!  Do you check the IT of the chicken after the indirect cook...or do you just assume that it is safe after the SV portion?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Nice although my sidekic sous vide cost as much as a LC pot. I personally wouldn't want to leave my gas range unattended for that long. I met a guy at my dealer a whilst back who chucks his steaks in his actual hot tub for a few hours.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

You da man, @TUTTLE871 !! We need to go out and hit Stan's or your fav wine place soon.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggcelsior
    double said:
    Nice although my sidekic sous vide cost as much as a LC pot. I personally wouldn't want to leave my gas range unattended for that long. I met a guy at my dealer a whilst back who chucks his steaks in his actual hot tub for a few hours.
    Would only do it if was going to be home all day. I might go like CenTex said at 147 for a few hours.
  • TUTTLE871
    Very nice!  Do you check the IT of the chicken after the indirect cook...or do you just assume that it is safe after the SV portion?  

I did check the temp of the chicken and it was about 135, then threw it on till I hit 165 took it off. Great stuff.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• I hope Mrs. Tuttle871 didn't notice that you posted a picture of one of her chipped dinner plates.  :\">
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

I did check the temp of the chicken and it was about 135, then threw it on till I hit 165 took it off. Great stuff.

Welcome to the club. You'll love it. The whole point of SV on chicken is to NOT take it to 165. Should do it at 147 and flash sear it for a short as possible. It's totally safe at those temps and the texture is out of this world.
  • TUTTLE871
    I hope Mrs. Tuttle871 didn't notice that you posted a picture of one of her chipped dinner plates.  :\">
    The funny thin about that I did that right before I plated the food, Wife said we need new dishes now.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• TUTTLE871 said:
    I hope Mrs. Tuttle871 didn't notice that you posted a picture of one of her chipped dinner plates.  :\">
    The funny thin about that I did that right before I plated the food, Wife said we need new dishes now.
    I'm sure you've been married long enough to know that that's what wife's do!