Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick ET732 Probes died

Both of my probed dies way sooner than i thought they should, maybe it was user error, but I tried to keep the wires out of direct contact with the fire moisture. Anyway, so i go to reorder some and they're 20 each!  So forty bucks or I have two paperweights.  Seems like a racket to me, just to get you to go ahead and buy new remote and base.

This really doesn't sit well with me. Can anyone suggest an alternate route?

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    edited April 2013
    I buy the hybrid probes from here.

If you buy two they're a little cheaper, but not much.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Look at the fine print of the instruction manual concerning the temperature rating of the probe cables.  The temperature in the area between the plate setter and the egg,  directly exposed to the lump below is very high - even while maintaining 300 degrees!!  Foil will give you a chance, double foil a fighting chance!! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    And contact Maverick directly. I e-mailed them and was sent new probes. My original probe cables were about 3' long, the new ones are at least 5' long. Foil from the probe cable junction to the egg gasket. 
    Although my Thermoworks 8060 is 10 times the maverick with respect to durability, the 8060 does not have a remote/wireless option. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Both of my probed dies way sooner than i thought they should, maybe it was user error, but I tried to keep the wires out of direct contact with the fire moisture. Anyway, so i go to reorder some and they're 20 each!  So forty bucks or I have two paperweights.  Seems like a racket to me, just to get you to go ahead and buy new remote and base.

This really doesn't sit well with me. Can anyone suggest an alternate route?

I contacted them on their site last week after my 3rd set died. Pricilla emailed me back in minutes and sent me a free set. Not saying that will happen but others on here have had similar results. She's really good and thy do what they can to make people happy. I wish the product was better but this will get you through for a bit while you look for an upgrade. They are good folks but they know the probes suck. i wouldn't hesitate to ask. i was very mellow in my email and it seemed to work. Just said i'm very careful not to get them wet or expose them to direct heat etc and they gave me a new set. Good luck
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    I've been through a couple Mavericks and decided to just give it up .. I kept/keep a log of what size meats cook at what temperature for how long .. and you get a reasonable gauge for how long you should cook.  

No, it's not the same as seeing the temperature but I couldn't be bothered with broken probes every three to five cooks.  If you don't need the remote capability, thermaworks makes some higher quality products.  The only caviat there - you will pay.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    this is what i was thinking of from thermoworks.. don't misjudge that picture .. the white unit is not a remote readout.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I'm using my first set of probes that I got with my et-73 several years ago. I have heard that the newer et-732 probes are not as durable. The hybrid probes have a higher temp rating I think. Contacting the company first would definitely be a good idea. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    I'm using my first set of probes that I got with my et-73 several years ago. I have heard that the newer et-732 probes are not as durable. The hybrid probes have a higher temp rating I think. Contacting the company first would definitely be a good idea. 

I went through a bunch of those too. but in fairness to them, I found out Janell was putting them in the dishwasher :))
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2013
    caliking said:

I went through a bunch of those too. but in fairness to them, I found out Janell was putting them in the dishwasher :))
    You better hide your knives from The Furious Janell.

It sounds like she has been mad at you.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    TonyA said:
    this is what i was thinking of from thermoworks.. don't misjudge that picture .. the white unit is not a remote readout.

Fantastic unit, I've had one for a couple of years (maybe 18 months?) I even tried using a baby monitor with it to give a sort of remote capability. If we could only get Thermoworks reliability with Maverick's remote capability we'd be golden. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • EggHeadinFlorida
    EggHeadinFlorida Posts: 892
    edited April 2013
    Look at the fine print of the instruction manual concerning the temperature rating of the probe cables.  The temperature in the area between the plate setter and the egg,  directly exposed to the lump below is very high - even while maintaining 300 degrees!!  Foil will give you a chance, double foil a fighting chance!! 
    I thought I read some where NOT to wrap the wired in foil (even though you didn't say either) It will hold the heat and fry the wire. You should place a couple pieces of foil under the wire and lay the wire on the foil. Does this sound right?
    XL bge, Mini max & 36 BS Griddle.
  • Charlie tuna
    The foil reflects the heat - the heat surrounds the probe wire -  all wire insulation has a temperature rating.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I bought these the last time mine fried and been happy with them. It is a 2 food probe set but I use one for the smoker 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    Thanks for all the advice.  I will email them first.  It's good the know they acknowledge their weakness.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    I'll be interested in your results.  Coincidentally I ordered a Maverick today to assist with my upcoming pork butts.

Do you use them for non-Egg cooks?  My wife cooks a lot and it would be helpful for use in the oven.  I used to have a simple setup that i am convinced i ruined because the oven crimped the wire.  I'm probably going to stick to the Egg, but I was curious.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    FWIW, I use them in the egg, and the Mrs uses them in the oven. 
    Never for searing, Low and slow or roasts. 

I wreaked plenty of probes until I learned to make sure to keep the opening where the wire goes into the probe absolutely dry, and never expose it to water. 
    Now since then, I've also made sure I don't expose the wire to direct heat (over plate setter leg). I wrap the portion in the egg (or oven) in foil, and I don't use for over 375. 

So far, so good.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SeeingSpots
    I emailed Maverick regarding the probes and Priscilla replied very quickly, with the excellent response.  Great customer service, I will stick with the Maverick products:

Aaron,
    Since you use it in a smoker I will assume that it is never exposed to flame.  The only thing that could have shorted them out would be if you washed them improperly (they cannot be submerged in water) if the probe wires got pinched too often (try threading them through a vent) or if prolonged smoking damaged them.  The fix is to wrap the probe wires in heavy duty foil to protect them from absorbing moisture which could short them out.  I will send you a set of replacement probes.  

People do use these in smokers (in competition even) without having problems and sometimes they do have problems.  It is hard to say.  My best suggestion is wrapping the wires.  Many consumers tell me they do this.

I am expected smoker probes in next week so unfortunately I cannot send replacements until then. I am sorry about the delay.  I will send you a dual purpose probe to hold you over until then.  It looks like a food probe but can be used to measure smoker temperatures.

E-mail me back your address.
    Thank you, 
    Priscilla
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Charlie tuna
    Can't beat that for customer service ..  Must be a good company.
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    TonyA said:

Fantastic unit, I've had one for a couple of years (maybe 18 months?) I even tried using a baby monitor with it to give a sort of remote capability. If we could only get Thermoworks reliability with Maverick's remote capability we'd be golden. 

I have the 8060TW as well, I got tired of burning out lesser probes.  FYI the heavy duty probe does keep the egg from closing completely, but it hasn't been an issue so far.

Edina, MN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Sounds like great customer service. That's good to know .

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I bought mine off Amazon...6 months later they charged me for new probes. I bought extra and one has already gone out. I've done all the " right" things... I'll never purchase another one.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    I bought mine off Amazon...6 months later they charged me for new probes. I bought extra and one has already gone out. I've done all the " right" things... I'll never purchase another one.

I've done the same. I have 2 ET-72's and an ET-73 all with bad probes. She did take care of me on this one but I know they will go out in 6 months or less. I'm moving on to something else when these go out. They do have good service but kind of like BGE gaskets......don't make me beg to replace something you know sucks.
  • SeeingSpots
    henapple said:

I've done the same. I have 2 ET-72's and an ET-73 all with bad probes. She did take care of me on this one but I know they will go out in 6 months or less. I'm moving on to something else when these go out. They do have good service but kind of like BGE gaskets......don't make me beg to replace something you know sucks.
    I agree, but I didn't really beg. I just laid out the facts.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Charlie tuna
    I went to my big resturant supply store and carefully went thru their temperature monitors.  From the cheapest to their most expensive!  I was suprised to find in "the fine print" the actual temperature limits on the probes.  I had already gone thru three monitors and was looking for a solution --  i never found one!!  The temperature of the air coming up around your plate setter is a heck of a lot higher than your dome temperature reading.  Check it with your thermapen, but be careful not to damage it -- because it is high!!  What has been working for me is using my DigiQ food probe just to monitor the internal meat temperatures.  Of course i double foil the probe wires inside the egg, plus route the probe cables over the plate setter's leg.  This has worked for me for over two years.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I thread my probe cables through a large potato to protect the cable from high temps and flames. I lay the potato on the grill. Works better than foil for me. Potatoes are cheaper than probes.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I only monitor low and slow cooks and always route wires over the plate setter legs, use to foil but haven't lately.  I have seen videos were the used the probe to monitor hot direct cooks which doesn't make sense to since those types of cooks have me near the egg throughout the cook.

Gerhard
  • SeeingSpots
    I like to remotely monitor the dome while it is coming up to heat.  I'm usually in the kitchen prepping during that time.  My Egg is downstairs on the back deck, so if I can, I like to know when it's time to run down and stabilize the temp even on medium and high temp cooks.

The potato idea is intriguing, but seems like it would introduce moisture to the cables/probe joint.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    I like to remotely monitor the dome while it is coming up to heat.  I'm usually in the kitchen prepping during that time.  My Egg is downstairs on the back deck, so if I can, I like to know when it's time to run down and stabilize the temp even on medium and high temp cooks.

The potato idea is intriguing, but seems like it would introduce moisture to the cables/probe joint.
    no moisture issue with potatoes, been doing it for years.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Before I used my ET-732 the first time, I sealed the probes where they are connected to the wires with High Temp RTV Silicone.  Got it at at auto parts store.  The sealant is red in color but will turn dark after use. Have used the probes on all low and slow and turbo smoking cooks for over a year now. The idea is to not allow any moisture from within the meat/and or Egg to enter the area where the wire connects to the probe. 

Do not know if this will be a long term solution but, so far, so good.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • SeeingSpots

Springram said:
    Before I used my ET-732 the first time, I sealed the probes where they are connected to the wires with High Temp RTV Silicone.  Got it at at auto parts store.  The sealant is red in color but will turn dark after use. Have used the probes on all low and slow and turbo smoking cooks for over a year now. The idea is to not allow any moisture from within the meat/and or Egg to enter the area where the wire connects to the probe. 

Do not know if this will be a long term solution but, so far, so good.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    Great idea!  I will try it.  Any concerns with fumes?  If it pans out maybe Maverick will consider implementing on their probes.  If not, maybe you have a side business proposition.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE