Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

you know your in WI when...

You see the "spotted cow", and brats are on the BGE. Also did some frozen French Fries, a polish sausage, and two skewers of peppers and onion. I have to confess, I ate my brat not in true WI style, went without the bun, and mixed it with the Polish Sausage. What can I say, I am a polish Wisconsinite!

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Nothin wrong with Brat mixed with Polish Sausage. Good meal.
    Flint, Michigan
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    OT. I was sure you were going to say "when there are three cars side by side all traveling the same direction at 2mph under the speed limit with no traffic" I often wonder if they even install rear view mirrors in WI. they do make great sausage and such.
  • yes! i bought my egg in WI and have fond memories of the great white north. the horrible winters up there forced me to find a cooker that i could use all year. the rest is history. very sketchy history
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    yes! i bought my egg in WI and have fond memories of the great white north. the horrible winters up there forced me to find a cooker that i could use all year. the rest is history. very sketchy history
    Ah - no offense meant, but WI is not the GWN. The winters are not horrible, they are seasonable, and you wear out the skid plates on the snow machine skis if there is not enough snow. 
    Thanks to Bob and Doug, the GNW is and will always be Canada eh, ya hoser!. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    WI has some of the best craft beers in the country.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    I love the New Glarus beers, isn't there a 'Naked' one? Love the brats too, doesn't get any better!
  • @Jscott "Totally Naked" is one of New Glarus seasonal brews, only available for a few months. Can only (officially) get New Glarus beer in WI, they will not distribute outside the state border. I am not affiliated with the brewery other then being a loyal customer. If your ever near New Glarus, stop at the brewery, well worth the visit.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @Skiddymarker: technically, you are right. But down here, any place North of Oklahoma is the GWN. :)

I do miss good brats though, so that cook looks drool worthy for sure.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yes! i bought my egg in WI and have fond memories of the great white north. the horrible winters up there forced me to find a cooker that i could use all year. the rest is history. very sketchy history
    Ah - no offense meant, but WI is not the GWN. The winters are not horrible, they are seasonable, and you wear out the skid plates on the snow machine skis if there is not enough snow. 
    Thanks to Bob and Doug, the GNW is and will always be Canada eh, ya hoser!. 

none taken but for this texas boy, it was all the Winter I ever needed to see. no thanks.I'm sure people feel that way about our summers but you don't have to shovel sunshine. I'll be in the pool if you need me.
  • rcone
    rcone Posts: 219
    There are a few more items that set Wisconsin apart

The town you grew up in had a bar called Ma's Place.
    You know how to polka, but never tried it sober.
    The FFA was the most popular club in high school.
    You know what knee-high by the Fourth of July means.
    You know it's traditional for the bride and groom to go bar hopping between the ceremony and the reception.
    You know that there is no "r" in Wausau.
    You were delighted to get a miniature snow shovel for your 3rd birthday.
    You can recognize someone from Illinois by their driving.
    You buy Christmas presents at Fleet Farm.
    You are a connoisseur of cheese curds and find anyone unfamiliar with them to be frighteningly foreign.
    You get irritated at sports announcers that pronounce it "Wes-con-sin."
    You own at least one cheese head.
    You spent more on beer than you did on food at your wedding.
    You know that Kaukauna is NOT an Hawaiian Island.
    You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't immediately break into uncontrollable laughter.
    You think fast food is hitting a deer at 65 mph.
    You or someone you know was a "Dairy Princess" at a county fair or a Miss Action in Jackson.
    You know that "combine" is a noun.
    You know what a FIB is.
    You know that pasties are not articles of clothing.
    You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a steel post in the middle of winter.
    You think Lutheran and Catholic are THE major religions.
    You can tell the difference between "real Wisconsin cheese" and "that Illinois stuff."
    You know that creek rhymes with pick.
    Your class took a field trip to a brewery...in second grade, Borden's in third and the cheese factory in fourth.
    Football schedules are checked before wedding dates are set.
    You can visit Luxemburg, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Berlin, and Poland all in one afternoon.
    A Friday night date consists of taking you girlfriend shining for deer. Saturday you go the local bowling ally.
    At least one kid in your class had to help with morning chores. Phew!
    You have driven your car on a lake.
    You can make sense out of the word "upnort" and "batree."
    The Packers will always be better than the Vikings, no matter what the standings are.
    You know that De Pere is not a wooden structure extending into "Da Lake."
    You can leave your ice cream in the car while you go into Fleet Farm, and it won't melt.
    You always believed that vacation meant "going up North."
    You have more fishing poles than teeth.
    At every wedding you have been to, you've had to dance the hokey poky & the chicken dance.
    You know what a bubbler is.
    Your definition of a small town is one that only has one bar.
    Your local gas station sells live bait.
    At least twice a year, the kitchen doubles as a meat processing plant.
    You laugh aloud every time you see a news report about a blizzard shutting down the entire east coast.
    Your mom asks, "Were you born in a barn?" and you know exactly what she means.
    You include beer as one of the major food groups. Isn't it??
    You know which leaves make good toilet paper.
    Your sexy lingerie is tube socks and a flannel nightgown.
    You are a member of the Polar Bear Club and proud of it.
    You think that the start of deer season is a national holiday.
    You learned to drive a tractor before the training wheels were off your bike.
    Your bank has the name of your town included in its name.
    Pop is not only what you call your dad, but is the ONLY name for soda
    "Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

LBGE, SBGE, Carson Rotisserie, Blackstone Griddle  

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • rcone said:

You know it's traditional for the bride and groom to go bar hopping between the ceremony and the reception.
    You are a connoisseur of cheese curds and find anyone unfamiliar with them to be frighteningly foreign.
    You hear someone use the word "oof-dah" and you don't immediately break into uncontrollable laughter.
    You or someone you know was a "Dairy Princess" at a county fair or a Miss Action in Jackson.
    You know what a FIB is.
    You let your older siblings talk you into putting your tongue on a steel post in the middle of winter.
    You can tell the difference between "real Wisconsin cheese" and "that Illinois stuff."
    Your class took a field trip to a brewery...in second grade, Borden's in third and the cheese factory in fourth.
    You can visit Luxemburg, Holland, Belgium, Denmark, Berlin, and Poland all in one afternoon.
    A Friday night date consists of taking you girlfriend shining for deer. Saturday you go the local bowling ally.
    The Packers will always be better than the Vikings, no matter what the standings are.
    You can leave your ice cream in the car while you go into Fleet Farm, and it won't melt.
    At every wedding you have been to, you've had to dance the hokey poky & the chicken dance.
    You laugh aloud every time you see a news report about a blizzard shutting down the entire east coast.

this is perfect. love it
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    LOL. Where are you all from? I live in Middleton during the week, and rural Green Lake county on the weekends.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • rcone
    Downtown Milwaukee, my neighbors love the smoke.

"Feed me, or feed me to something; I just want to be part of the food chain" Al Bundy

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • I lived in Middleton (right behind Sport Bowl on mayflower and a small stroll from the Capitol Brewery) for 2 years and in Appleton for around 4. 
  • rcone said:

You know what a FIB is.

this is perfect. love it
    ....and you know what "bar time" means

• troutgeek
    I'm a big fan of Milwaukee.  My oldest son is a poor college student, living on N. Warren.  He's a big fan of Lakefront Brewery.  Also a big fan of Cafe Hollander, and I believe the Hollander owns a great breakfast joint (near Lakefront Brewery) that has a fantastic Bloody Mary.  There's lots of great food in Milwaukee.

Yea, I know about Cen-Tex living in Middleton.  Would have been good to know -- that was pre-egg time for me, but back then, I thought a good bourbon was Jack.
  • rcone
    I was over at Wolski's in that part of town last night.

Over the last couple years there have been some fantastic places opening up. 

Western Wisconsin has some great farms, and butcher shops that venture out to when time permits. 

Milwaukee, Wisconsin 
  • troutgeek

rcone said:
    I was over at Wolski's in that part of town last night.

Over the last couple years there have been some fantastic places opening up. 

Western Wisconsin has some great farms, and butcher shops that venture out to when time permits. 
    Oh Yes indeed.  I drive thru the driftless frequently, and appreciate most of the farmland in the state.  The weekend place is a farmette, with about 80 acres, and access to 1000's of acres.  Hunting is great.  Grab a cup of coffee, and head out the back yard.  I wish the trout fishing was a little better there, but Madison has some decent trout streams within an hour's drive.
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I live in Appleton, really do like the town. Having a BGE will make winter more managable. Have a friend who is a TX transplant to WI, working on getting him to buy a BGE. Every winter he asks himself what he is doing living in WI!
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I live in Appleton, really do like the town. Having a BGE will make winter more managable. Have a friend who is a TX transplant to WI, working on getting him to buy a BGE. Every winter he asks himself what he is doing living in WI!
    I liked it there too. We bought ours from Chip at BBQ pits and spits. He's a great dude.I bought mine because I couldn't keep my gasser warm in those cold ass Appleton winters!

Really enjoyed my time there and still have friends up there. I'll be beack in a few months for a little work (I work with Fleet Farm)

I liked it there too. We bought ours from Chip at BBQ pits and spits. He's a great dude.I bought mine because I couldn't keep my gasser warm in those cold ass Appleton winters!

Really enjoyed my time there and still have friends up there. I'll be beack in a few months for a little work (I work with Fleet Farm)

I also bought mine from Chip, his store is outstanding, great product selection and prices. Fortunate to have him in town. Also appriciate Cedar Creek meats, and Jacobs market. Appleton its a great town to be an egghead.
  • All those are great spots. How long have you lived there?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942

Great list!...and funny thread.
    Work in Appleton the last 18 years, live in Oshkosh, grew up in Sheboygan...
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Did you guys ever shop or eat at Live Oak Market downtown Appleton when it was open? That was my place.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    Green Eggin' in Oostburg, WI, grew up in Kohler.  Been a Packer fan all my life, BUT those damn cheeseheads are not allowed in my house, last one that I found was in the trash the next Friday.  

I am not, nor will I ever be a proud cheesehead!!!
  • troutgeek
    I've been to Jacobs market. Stopped by there between a wedding and reception a couple years ago. My egg guy is in Evansville, so I haven't hit the Appleton area for egg stuff. Cen-Tex, I thought you did work with Blaine's? Farm and Fleet, rather than Fleet Farm. Now there's an addition to the list -- you know you're from Wisconsin if you know there's a difference between Farm and Fleet, and Fleet Farm. (Actually, the stores are pretty close to the same...)
  • wibrewer
    wibrewer Posts: 24

@The Cen-Tex Smoker, I live in Appleton, really do like the town. Having a BGE will make winter more managable. Have a friend who is a TX transplant to WI, working on getting him to buy a BGE. Every winter he asks himself what he is doing living in WI!

I also bought mine from Chip, his store is outstanding, great product selection and prices. Fortunate to have him in town. Also appriciate Cedar Creek meats, and Jacobs market. Appleton its a great town to be an egghead.

I just heard BBQ PnS is shutting down. Not sure if it is true.
  • troutgeek said:
    I've been to Jacobs market. Stopped by there between a wedding and reception a couple years ago. My egg guy is in Evansville, so I haven't hit the Appleton area for egg stuff. Cen-Tex, I thought you did work with Blaine's? Farm and Fleet, rather than Fleet Farm. Now there's an addition to the list -- you know you're from Wisconsin if you know there's a difference between Farm and Fleet, and Fleet Farm. (Actually, the stores are pretty close to the same...)

I have worked with both and know both families very well. Great people and unbelievable businesses. Don't let the "Fleet Farm" look fool you. They are all hundred millionaires.
  • wibrewer said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker, I live in Appleton, really do like the town. Having a BGE will make winter more managable. Have a friend who is a TX transplant to WI, working on getting him to buy a BGE. Every winter he asks himself what he is doing living in WI!

I just heard BBQ PnS is shutting down. Not sure if it is true.

I haven't heard but chip is a great guy.he has taken on several other outside jobs while it was open so I wouldn't be surprised if he was ready to shut it down. When I was there, he was installing and maintaining 500 foot tall severe weather alert towers. Dude was climbing up to change light bulbs and test sirens etc. he loved it but the gov't funding ran out so he moved on to something else. Very resourceful guy and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. Typical of most people I met in WI.