Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

advice for newbies

henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
first off, you're not a newbie... you're a neo, New egg owner...a newbie can't do anything, you can.

be easy on yourself and don't get frustrated... it'll come

don't buy the egg and automatically buy everything you can... and wait to build your table till you get the feel of what you need and want...I think a thermapen is a must though.

there is no " best charcoal"... if your happy with it... roll on. if you don't like Ozark Oak though you're a dumbass

get involved on this forum. it's a wealth of info and filled with great folks. search for answers but ask the questions you need answered.

don't be overly sensitive... there are disagreements on here and someone will rag on you. who cares?

go to an eggfest.. and cook.

be adventurous... try your own way

share pictures, fails and wins

whether your cook is good or bad it's a win. you've learned more than you knew.

cook more than needed and share with your local firehall, emt station, orphanage, etc

it is a cult... and it will change the way you cook and view food.

I've only been egging since last August and these are just a few lessons I've picked up.

Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

It took me some trial and error as a new egger a few years ago.  I overcooked and undercooked a few things.  That's where your advice on the thermopen is invaluable. 

To Henapple's advice I would add play with smoke chip flavors. 

A coworker of mine took a bite of chicken I heated up as a leftover for lunch and his exclamation was "holy God..."

This victory too can be yours. 

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Good advice!

That's a lot of posts for 8 months of egging.   

;)

Just ragging you.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • henapple
    I'm an addict... and can't shut up.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I agree with henapple the Thermapen is the most important first item you add. Cook to temp and not time. Also you will pick up more in the 4 to 6 hours at an EggFest than 6 months on your own. Pictures are a must, this is lunch:image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• and just because Tony blatantly advertises on here that he wants to meet you (a total stranger) on a dark side road with the lure of cheap lump, that does not make him creepy. He's a wonderful fellow.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    and just because Tony blatantly advertises on here that he wants to meet you (a total stranger) on a dark side road with the lure of cheap lump, that does not make him creepy. He's a wonderful fellow.

Tis true.

Centex on the other hand...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414

I enjoyed this post when I was getting started, reading everything:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144663/some-things-i-have-learned/p1

• LDR said:

I enjoyed this post when I was getting started, reading everything:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144663/some-things-i-have-learned/p1

That one is a classic. Great read for new and "experienced"

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Awesome post and great advise. I particularly like the idea of sharing failures so that we can all learn something.
    Persistence and determination are omnipotent!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    henapple said:
    first off, you're not a newbie... you're a neo, New egg owner...a newbie can't do anything, you can. be easy on yourself and don't get frustrated... it'll come don't buy the egg and automatically buy everything you can... and wait to build your table till you get the feel of what you need and want...I think a thermapen is a must though. there is no " best charcoal"... if your happy with it... roll on. if you don't like Ozark Oak though you're a dumbass get involved on this forum. it's a wealth of info and filled with great folks. search for answers but ask the questions you need answered. don't be overly sensitive... there are disagreements on here and someone will rag on you. who cares? go to an eggfest.. and cook. be adventurous... try your own way share pictures, fails and wins whether your cook is good or bad it's a win. you've learned more than you knew. cook more than needed and share with your local firehall, emt station, orphanage, etc it is a cult... and it will change the way you cook and view food. I've only been egging since last August and these are just a few lessons I've picked up.

And let the white smoke clear

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    edited April 2013

"if you don't like Ozark Oak though you're a dumbass"

LOL! Have to agree, its about the best there is, for me at least =D>

I haven't even been egging a year yet and I completely view food, especially BBQ differently. Have learned a ton on here and will be cooking in the Plano Eggfest this year. Have also had several failures, mainly briskets. Have had enough success to where my family asks, "what are you cooking next?"

Just for fun, here are some ribs from Easter weekend with my homemade rub on them. They were a hit. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    henapple said:
    I'm an addict... and can't shut up.
    And most of us are very glad you don't, always entertaining and worth a look, keep it up Oh, poultry fruit man. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    @village idiot... egging on halloween? or is that real?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    tamu2009 said:
    @village idiot... egging on halloween? or is that real?
    pssst.  I'm pretty good at Photoshop.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    tamu2009  Just don't piss VI off. The photos to your wife are not helpful..... Tough to explain to wife you have never been to Paris and sure don't know that woman (if he is being nice). Man if he is really ticked offl.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Mickey said:
    tamu2009  Just don't piss VI off. The photos to your wife are not helpful..... Tough to explain to wife you have never been to Paris and sure don't know that woman (if he is being nice). Man if he is really ticked offl.....
    Bartender !  I'll have what Mr. Mickey is having.  It seems to take your mind where sane people have never been.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• tamu2009
    tamu2009 Posts: 387
    Hahaha. Not trying to piss off, just thinking to myself "damn he's holding realllly still with a AWEFUL burn."

I've been burned badly and couldn't have held still for a picture like that so I was thinking he was a badass!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
  • henapple
    probably drunk...
  • Mickey
    It's a high hanging curve ball......... .... Please substitute dumb for bad!!!!!

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Here's another list of 'Things I've learned on the Forum' from a while ago

bud812 Posts: 1,869
    You must always have a drink in your hand while tending that hard to control cooking device.(so SWMBO thinks thats why you drink so much)  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.